Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Small laptop with a build in solid state hard drive is just a matter of time.
    Actually, it's a matter of cost. Samsung announced the first NAND-based solid state disk for laptops last year -a 16GB model. This month they announced a 32GB SSD at CeBIT. The bad news is that the memory alone for the 32GB disk comes out to > $900 which is 4-5 times the cost for a comparable HD; the good news is that that was also the cost for the 16GB last year.

BTW, if you don't mind Windows 3.1, you may be able to pick up one on Ebay: HP was ahead of its time in 1993 when it produced a 10MB flash version of an Omnibook 300. I bought -and still own- the 40MB HD version.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Small laptop with a build in solid state hard drive is just a matter of time.
    Here's an item on news released by Samsung today:
    http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/tech...FREE&cm_ite=NA
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Forget what could or should happen in the future for a second. I am really shocked that given the sucess of the ipod, i have not seen any handheld pcs with a hard drive. The new hitatchi drive used in the 30 gig ipod for example is TINY!
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Forget what could or should happen in the future for a second. I am really shocked that given the sucess of the ipod, i have not seen any handheld pcs with a hard drive. The new hitatchi drive used in the 30 gig ipod for example is TINY!
    Here's one: http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobi...ers/lifedrive/
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Because of the multi valuable benefits of non volatile storage, it has even been predicted for years now that desktop HD will be replaced by non volatile memory storage type drives within now the next 5-8 years. Imagine if you even kept the same size drive dimensions how much flash memory you could cram into a desktop HD with even only todays cutting edge memory that is currently being kept under wraps.
    The Scandisk 32 GB SSD that was mentioned above is now here........

Your hard drive is now obsolete

Look ma, no disks.
    SanDisk Corporation has introduced a 32GB, 1.8-inch solid-state drive (SSD) which is built to be a drop-in replacement for standard mechanical hard disk drives. This means the device has no moving parts.

Large capacity flash-based drives had been used primarily in the military, aerospace and telecom industries which demanded high performance, reliable storage under demanding conditions. But these drives were very expensive. Now, with flash-memory costs dropping, solid-state drives are becoming economically and commercially viable.

In addition to being reliable, these drives are fast. SanDisk claims a sustained read rate of 62 megabytes per second and a random read rate of 7,000 inputs/outputs per second. In plain English, that means it’s more than 100 times faster than most current hard disk drives.

I can’t begin to tell you what this ultimately means for the computer, PDA, cell phone and portable music device industries. The only thing that might slow down SSD acceptability is the price. Currently, SanDisk’s 32GB SSD will sell for $600. But, I would expect that price will drop as more and more companies choose solid-state drives. A number of electronics manufacturers are currently in talks with SanDisk — although they wouldn’t yet disclose which ones.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16545386/
    I can see it now.....within two to five years from now having one of these in my system. If I was mega rich I would have one in my system next week!!!!
    Only when they get to 60GB or more can they replace most computer hard drives. That seems to be the new starting limit on storage for computers.

But this will be a great replacement for those 30GB hard drive players when the price become accessible!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    One thing that's been banded around on this forum before is the lack of "virtual memory" on the treo, i.e. the ability to use a page-file on the SD card. One reason often quoted for not doing this is that constant re-writing to the same part of the card will somehow damage it.

So, if this happens to be true, I don't see the HD being replaced any time soon (in the next 2 years). Maybe 5 years when this issue is resolved. Until then, I think HDs with motion sensors to automatically park the heads when they detect they're about to hit the floor, will be the norm.
  8.    #28  
    Here is a new perspective on providing additional storage to nearly any BT enabled phone:

Seagate Offers Mass Storage for Phones
    Seagate wants to put DAVE in your pocket.
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007

That's DAVE as in Digital Audio Video Experience, previously code-named "Crickett," a tech platform from the California-based storage company that aims to add 10-20GB of wireless storage to cellphones, or other WiFi- and BlueTooth-equipped devices, thanks to a tiny drive you can stash in your pocket, desk draw or glove box. The aim is simple: offer mass storage on the go, and stay far enough ahead of the Flash-based curve to make the idea of a separate unit attractive.

"We're looking to see storage implemented in the mobile ecosystem," said Rob Pait, Seagate's Director of Global Marketing for Consumer Marketing for electronics. "If that happens, we will win."

Simply streaming content isn't working for consumers or businesses, Pait said, so providing lots of space to hold downloaded media is the way forward. Splitting storage from the handset guarantees plenty of space and phones that stay small and stay cheap.

"What we understand at Seagate is that most networks, particularly peer-to-peer networks, don't have much utility unless you have storage," Pait said. "It's like a pipeline and a tank."

"Products using DAVE technology will enable digital content, whether for business or entertainment use, to be stored, moved, and connected in ways never before possible," said Patrick King, senior vice president of Seagate’s consumer electronics business unit, in a press release.

DAVE-based products will be about the size of a credit card and less than half and inch thick, with an operating range of up to 30 feet from the connected phone.

"The reference deisgn is a bit smaller, thinner and lighter than a Moto RAZR," Pait said.

Software to hook the drives up to cellphones has already been produced for J2ME, BREW, Windows Mobile, Symbian and XCCC. Palm compatibility is forthcoming. The platform is open source, which means anyone will be able to create new apps on their system of choice.

"You turn on the BlueTooth on the (DAVE) device, you turn it on on the phone, and they exchange a small Java applicaiton, which gives the phone a file system it uses to browse," Pait said. "It's degined to be extremely friendly from an installation standpoint. You'll see an additional icon on your phone, you tap it, and ... you can explore what's on your drive."

Seagate won't, however, be making consumer drives itself: Dave is for telcos and handset OEMs for sale under their own brands. Furthermore, the package isn't merely Seagate drives and an application framework, as Dave includes proprietary technology: even with WiFi blaring and BlueTooth listening contstantly, a Dave drive offers 10 hours of active use and up to 14 days standby. Thusly-equipped drives will also work with standard computers.

The technology is on show at the DEMO 07 conference in California, which starts today. Though no partners were announced, Seagate expects 10 GB devices to be available this summer, with 20GB versions following shortly thereafter. Pricing may start at about $150.

SOURCE: http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/0...e_offers_.html
  9.    #29  
    Here is another small step in the right direction:

Samsung 64GB Solid State Drives now shipping

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd, is making the 2.5-inch SATA, 64 gigabyte (GB) solid state drive (SSD) available in Dell and Alienware consumer notebooks.

Alienware will provide a 128GB SSD configuration, by offering dual 64GB SSD drives in a RAID 0 array, as well as a single 64GB SSD combined with a large capacity 200GB 7200RPM drive, available on the Area-51 m9750 gaming notebook.

Dell is offering the SSD drive on its premium XPS M1330 ultra-portable notebook, and expects to make it available across additional XPS systems, as well as Latitude corporate notebooks and Dell Precision mobile workstations later this year.

“Dell combined with Alienware offer the most comprehensive set of notebooks available with SSD technology because customers are demanding more reliable and durable mobility solutions,” said Tom Pratt, storage technologist, Dell’s CTO Group. “Samsung’s new drive delivers additional capacity and performance that gives customers another reason to choose solid-state technology.”

The 64GB SSD provides increased performance and a higher degree of reliability, which exceed traditional rotating disk drives. Because there are no moving parts, SSDs are noise-free, produce very little heat and are less susceptible to shocks and vibrations that can be challenging to traditional disk drives.

“The greater reliability and higher performance of solid state drives makes them a highly viable alternative to hard drives in corporate and high-end consumer notebooks, said Jim Elliott, director, flash marketing, Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. “We're delighted that Dell and Alienware have chosen the Samsung 64GB SSD for their latest generation of leading-edge notebooks.”
    Looks like Mtron is coming out with an even bigger SSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtron
    Mtron Debuts Three New SSD Lines

29 Aug, 2007 By Nick Mokey

Solid-state drives for consumer, commercial and industrial applications are all on the way in September, along with a 128GB 1.8-inch drive by the year's end.

Move over Samsung and SanDisk, the market for solid-state drives is beginning to see some new competition. South Korean manufacturer Mtron, a relatively new company, announced Wednesday that it would introduce three new SSD drive lines ?including a 64GB model ?at the IFA 2007 consumer electronics fair in Berlin.
    Besides the capacity of its new drives, Mtron claims a read speed of 120MB/s and write speed of 90MB/s, along with 0.1 ms random access time, means they are three to four times faster than existing magnetic hard drives and 30 to 40 percent faster than other SSD drives.

Mtron's MSD product line is targeted at consumers, with both 2.5- and 3.5- inch SATA drives at capacities of 16GB, 32GB and 64GB. A tantalizing 128GB drive in the 1.8-inch form factor is also in the works for the fourth quarter of 2007.

The MSD PRO line caters to businesses with enhanced durability and stability, as well as a secure erase feature to wipe out sensitive data. The MSD XTM line can operate from -40 degrees to 85 degrees, making the drives practical for industrial applications.

Drives from all three lines will be on display when IFA 2007 begins on August 31, with mass production firing up in September.
  11.    #31  
    I just posted a Blog today that moves this discussion a step further in the right direction:
    Intel's Solid State Drive -- The Future of Mobile Memory?

We have been talking about developing technologies for offering massive storage for mobile devices for 2 ˝ years now in the "Flash or HDD? That's the Question thread". Intel just announced a huge step in offering GBs for cell phones with their new Solid State Drive (SSD) that is smaller than penny and weighs less than a drop of water, according to their press release:

The tiniest in the industry, the Intel® Z-P140 PATA SSD is designed for ultra-small mobile internet devices, digital entertainment and embedded applications and is part of the proposed Intel “Menlow” platform. The Intel Z-P140 PATA SSD comes in 2 Gigabyte (GB) and 4GB densities, extendable to 16GB.
    According to the Intel Product Brief this little SSD can hold its own with Read Throughput at 40 Megabytes / sec and Write Throughput at 30 Megabytes / sec and is tested with a Mean Time Between Failures at 2,500,000 hours (which if you are curious is 104,167 days... which is just over 285 years... which leads to... how in the heck did they come up with that?).

Today we are begging phone manufacturers to include at least 128 mb in any given phone and we willingly fall to our knees in praise when they put 256 mb of memory / storage in a phone. Could you imagine the reality of having somewhere between a 2 GB to 16 GB of internal memory / storage on a phone be commonplace? Because we here at WMExperts can (and do).

When is this really going to be a reality? I am not sure. The Intel Fact Sheet does not come out and say specifically, but it does alludes to the possibility that it will be released with their proposed Menlow platform, which will be released to manufacturers sometime during the first half of 2008. Though, again, it's not clear that that the Z-P140 PATA SSD will be included with this first generation release of the Intel Menlow platform.

All of which means that 2009 is probably the most optimistic projection for inclusion in GSM phones. For those of us on CDMA networks here in the states, well, we'll probably be waiting another year after that for the typical catch-up and personalization phase (assuming, of course, that our CDMA carrier is even around anymore!)
    Looks like they use 8 MicroSD cards for their SSD. And Samsung is the first to confirm production of an 8GB Micro card, so thats in line with a 64GB SSD. Insane memory, wonder if we will ever see it.

Flash cards have been around forever, makes you wonder what has taken so long already...

Great blog BTW, and thanks for keeping us updated on your crusade!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12