Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I talked to Sprint tech support today and asked for the highest level EVDO tech support (got a guy named Rob) who, upon research, told me that the EVDO upgrade for the 6600 will take place the last week of December, and that they *should* notify 6600 users with an SMS message when it is released. He added that I should call back January 2nd if I have not heard anything by then.
    Well.....as quoted above from the 6600 forum over at PDAphoneHome, it looks more and more likely (though I will jump from hopeful to belief when I actually see it ) that Sprint really is going to release the infamous and ever illusive EVDO update for the PPC-6600. The 6600 has the hardware for EVDO, but Sprint has not released the ROM upgrade to enable it. In fact I believe that they were really thinking hard about not offering it in hopes of getting us 6600 owners to up to the 6700.....at the very latest making us wait until a couple months after the 6700 release to see how many of us they could hook into a new sale.

I am really excited about this. Now it appears that I can keep my bigger screen and get EVDO. With this update I can really take my time to upgrade to the phone I really want to without feeling left behind while patiently waiting for the next latest and greatest!
    If it gets evdo, I might pick up a used one on ebay. You have yours hooked up with the sd wifi card right?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    Ya...but with 1x and a 2 gig SD card in there, I only use it when roaming in a wifi area to get email and possibly check on stats.

I have to say, that if this really does happen, it is going to a Very Merry Christmas indeed!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    with a sd wifi card on the 6600/6601 it's still very difficult to stream anything due to the pipeline/bus between the sd card and the slot on the ppc board itself, i've tried tons of times to stream small 200-300k streams but there is always a frame/data loss while using the SD wifi card. EVDO... is a completely different matter though (as i'm sure some of you are aware and have kept up to speed on other sites)... evdo streams data and video pretty flawlessly i'm anxious to get back "online" with the proper authenticationi at EV speeds ;-)
  5.    #5  
    I haven't tried streaming with Wifi SD card. But I do know from reading other forums that others have claimed to have done it. But it does fine with emails other normal browsing.
    Ok, I think I am going to pull the trigger on the 6600 with a used one off ebay.

Hobbes: do you know if the 4gb sd cards will work?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

looks like a GREAt phone. wish they had it in gsm.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Ok, I think I am going to pull the trigger on the 6600 with a used one off ebay.

Hobbes: do you know if the 4gb sd cards will work?
    And another falls to the Dark Side of TC!!!

I have a 2 gig in my phone. A couple people over at PDAphoneHome got it and it has been working for them:

Transcend 4GB 150x SDRAM card!

Just recieved my 4GB Transend SD card

I hope this helps....
  9.    #9  
    It is reported that Sprint is having trouble the the EVDO upgrade and it will be delayed again until hopefully as soon as mid-January.

It is rumored that they will be coming out with a patch to fix some of the last remaining glitches that some phones have experienced by the end of the year though.
    My PPC6700 (now only 6 days old) is having serious issues with EVDO. They claim it is a back-end/provisioning issue and I'm still awaiting the Trouble-Ticket resolution. I've seen 6700's that work the way they're supposed to in my area, but either my account, or the device is bungled.

Best not to be an early adopter if you can help it.
    The whiny minority always out-posts the contented majority.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal

I have a 2 gig in my phone. A couple people over at PDAphoneHome got it and it has been working for them:

Transcend 4GB 150x SDRAM card!

Just recieved my 4GB Transend SD card

I hope this helps....
    My transformation to the darkside is complete (I love ebay..picked up the PPC 6600 for $191.38

I will check out those links and look around for the best deal on the sd card.

It is reported that Sprint is having trouble the the EVDO upgrade and it will be delayed again until hopefully as soon as mid-January.
    It will probably take me that long to re-read all the threads for the 6600. (But it would be sweet to get evdo on it.)

This is crazy. Looks like my sd card will cost more than my phone. Thanks for all the help BTW.

14.    #14  
    This is crazy. Looks like my sd card will cost more than my phone. Thanks for all the help BTW.
    Sounds like a car I bought in college.......I bought the brand new tires from a guy and the car came free!....seriously no joke, it was a 1979 Plymouth Volary.
  15.    #15  
    My transformation to the darkside is complete (I love ebay..picked up the PPC 6600 for $191.38
    Good find! I actually have two phones....a 6601 and my 6600 (don't ask how that happened! ). But when I finally upgrade to a new phone sometime next spring, I am mounting my 6600 in my car to have it as a dedicated GPS unit. I am doing the same thing with my wife's car this week with the 6601 as a small Christmas present as she has always wanted GPS in her car.

If you can now get the 660x phone for under $200, and get the GPS for $120 or so, that is a pretty cheap GPS unit for the car...compared to $600 - $1,200 color car mobile GPS units.
    Good find! I actually have two phones....a 6601 and my 6600 (don't ask how that happened! ).
    I think I remember that story from about a year ago.

If you can now get the 660x phone for under $200, and get the GPS for $120 or so, that is a pretty cheap GPS unit for the car...compared to $600 - $1,200 color car mobile GPS units.[/QUOTE]I am interested in gps...more as a novelty for me. I want a BT solution. I already have a Moto 820 BT headset that I can't wait to use. I have an IR keyboard that I am going to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetahjeremy
    looks like a GREAt phone. wish they had it in gsm.
    The Siemens SX66, GSM model of the same phone and has built-in wi-fi. I think they sacrificed the camera though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Does that also apply to PPC(no phone version yet) users?

I ordered a case, a 1gig card and screen protectors for my iPAQ.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19.    #19  
    It will probably take me that long to re-read all the threads for the 6600.
    Also check out a very helpful thread I posted over at PDAphoneHome that should point you to just about anything you will want to know about the PPC-6600:

Must Read Threads for Newbies!!!!!
    Also check out a very helpful thread I posted over at PDAphoneHome that should point you to just about anything you will want to know about the PPC-6600:

Must Read Threads for Newbies!!!!!
    It's bookmarked. I was up reading from 9-1am last night all the old threads (6601/6600) from the days of you and Bob Duckworth (BTW-where did he go?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast