Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What its like leaving the Treo and palm altogether for a PPC!

I had never owned a PPC. I thought palm and especially the TREO were the ultimate solutions.

For anyone wanting to experience the conversion before they actually do, heres mine.

I was confused about how a PPC sync'ed.
    1) I does a check while connected every so often to see if it needs to.
    2) If you run an installer it syncs.
    3) If you drag and drop a cab file (kinda like a prc) to the picture of the PPC device it syncs.
    4) If you drag a jpeg to the picture folder you have to click on the syc icon your self.

I was unsure about how to install 3rd party applications on the ppc.
    1) Installers cause an automatic sync and then the new program is found in the program view on the PPC.
    2) CAB instillation: when you connect the PPC to the PC the active sync window pops. You click explore and then drag and drop a cab file to the device icon. Then you open the file manager select device from the drop down and tap the cab to install.

The major differences I see are:
    1) The PPC has numerous files and folders everywhere just like a PC.
    2) There arent enough handy PPC programs. For anything I wanted to do on the Treo there was a solution and ofter numerous choices with in each solution.
    3) The PPC is very customizable. If you want to change the way it works you edit the registry. You dont need applications like StopDim, AlwaysOn,,, you dont need to wait for a palm developer to create utility programs. You do have to figure out what to type and where to type it in the registry.
    4) The Treo is extremely easy to use. The worlds best key board and engineered for easy access to anything on the device in a second,,, One handed! Nothing else can compete!

But they are getting closer.

So the SHOCK is,,,, theres no shock,,,, a short learning curve, slightly difficult to use and a lack of applications.

But I dont care. I have always wished the treo had a 640 x 480 screen.... I guess for now I'll settle for 320 x 240 My PPC is just a hold over until the Universal gets here
    Thanks for sharing. Could you expand on the one-handedness comparison? What can't you do on the PPC (I'm guessing the 6700) that you could on the Treo?

Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    I have always wished the treo had a 640 x 480 screen.... I guess for now I'll settle for 320 x 240 My PPC is just a hold over until the Universal gets here
    There coming, but each one needs its own boat
  3.    #3  
    Well the Treos KB has the most awesome one handed setup there is.

On my PPC 6700 I use TouchKeyBoard in portrait mode. Which is good but not as good as the Treos KB. And WM5 is not as user friendly as PalmOS5 so you have to tap the screen occasionally and sometimes the thing that needs to be tapped is tiny so you really need to aim with the corner of the fingernail or get out the stylus. I cant really efficiently aim with the corner of my nail and hold the phone securely one handed.

But I am loving the big screen, multitasking and a change of pace.
    But I am loving the big screen, multitasking and a change of pace.
    oh boy it sounds nice. As much as I love my treo, it's going on one year and I'm itching for a change.

I must have a million questions, but I can't think of very many. Here's a few.. I've heard the device is 'sluggish'. Does it feel this way to you? Also, how does evdo feel? Even when i used a pocket pc (2003) with WiFi, Pocket Internet Explorer always felt slow when rendering pages. Is the new 2005 OS and fast pipe fast enough to feel a large difference compared to blazer? (I'm a xiino user, and i think blazer is horrible speed-wise... my god anything should be better)

Oh and I've read the 6700 has java on it. I could upload the JAD files of my applications (hourly4cast and TV2Nite) and you could run them on your PPC if you'd like.

-G
  5.    #5  
    That would be awesome! I would love to have hourly4cast back again.

I live in an area with a very weak signal. A good sized web page would often take Blazer 2 full minutes to DL. Xiino could do it in 45 seconds and pocket explorer bouncing between EVDO and 1x does it in 12 seconds.Its friggen awesome!

Also I use to miss calls with the T600 and the T650 but I haven't missed one yet with the 6700.

I have pocket explorer set to act as IE 6, so finally I can get to all the sites that use to say, with the Treo "You must use a full browser to view this page".
    Welcome to the Dark Side of TC! I made the jump over a year ago. The concerns you have below are not really concerns if you know what is really out there. Here are some helpful resources for you:
    2) There arent enough handy PPC programs. For anything I wanted to do on the Treo there was a solution and ofter numerous choices with in each solution.
    There are TONS of apps. I am a power user and on the road a lot and in the last year, there has not been a program I have not found on Palm that I couldn't find for PPC. (though I have to admit there are some nice single use specialized utilities I wish I could have taken over to my PPC). Here is a thread of mine that points to several great resources to help you out:

Software Choices for WM03 & WM05

3) The PPC is very customizable. If you want to change the way it works you edit the registry. You dont need applications like StopDim, AlwaysOn,,, you dont need to wait for a palm developer to create utility programs. You do have to figure out what to type and where to type it in the registry.
    Here is a thread I started about tweaking the reg with a lot of valuable info:

Registry Edits Hints and Finds for the PPC-660x/SX66/XV6600

Here is a thread I posted on another forum point to several INVALUABLE threads for those new to the PPC world (please not that this thread says it is focusing on the PPC-6600, but it is really geared for ANY PPC):

Must Read Threads for Newbies!!!!! (and anyone else who wants to be in the know!)

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/05/2005 at 03:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Welcome to the "other" side! Pocket IE has long been better than Blazer. It is the reason I got rid of the 650. I need/want to be able to easily get to the webpages I want to go to, and I want them to look the way they should, something neither blazer nor xiino could manage. Even PIE has it's issues, but it definitely has those two beaten...heck, with WM5 it includes a fullscreen mode.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Hobbes,,, I have made good use of you posts. Half the time I go looking for PPC info I find you've already been there and put together helpful info
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I love Pocket IE but that was the only thing keeping me on a PPC. I went back to a Treo for the size and form factor . I really only use my PDA Phone for some lite browsing, simple stuff, most of the bigger pages load fine on my SK2, and tiny games, email, and text messaging. Biggest think i wanted, read ebooks. It didn't make any sense to me to carry my work phone and a Cingular phone, the HP 6515 and my SK2. I went and turned my work phone into a Treo, still waiting on delievery though, and going back to two devices. I will miss the browsing though, it was as close to a computer as you can get on the road.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks Hobbes, just did the scroll bar reg edit and it is already making life easier

I scroll with my thumb when in a hurry but it was impossible with vertical width set to 13,,,,,, 20 works perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    Welcome to the "other" side! Pocket IE has long been better than Blazer. It is the reason I got rid of the 650. I need/want to be able to easily get to the webpages I want to go to, and I want them to look the way they should, something neither blazer nor xiino could manage. Even PIE has it's issues, but it definitely has those two beaten...heck, with WM5 it includes a fullscreen mode.
    I have to agree here. Surfing has been a very good expeience so far.

Anyone know of a pie fullscreen hack for wm2003?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    PIE Plus by Reensoft will get you full-screen browsing as well as tabbed browsing - it's a low-cost util, not a hack though. Something similar (and free) is ftxPBrowser, though I'm not sure about fullscreen on WM2003.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Grrrr. This side is getting smaller! What is the deal? Will you folks be coming back if the 700 has Garnet?

Hobbes & phurth, Now I see why we have different views, it is the PPC. Pretty soon Tem(a.k.a.=?) and t2 are going to be arguing with me soon to come because of their phone conversions. Boooo hooooo I feel so lonely now!

Nah, really though I hope you enjoy it over there. After a while tell us how the water is.
  14.    #14  
    You are Wrong Sir!!!!!9ne11One110

Ops,,,, sorry,,,,It seems this PPC in me has some how generated some underlying agression towards palm'ers :0
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Nah, really though I hope you enjoy it over there. After a while tell us how the water is.
    I have had my PPC-6600 for a year and 2 months now and I am still impressed with it (which is saying a lot for a guy who usually upgrades every 10 monts or so). I just never realized that my PPC was the source of me having been on the correct side of the fence in all of our arguments.....errrr discussions....for over a year now! Cool....another check for converting over to the Dark Side of TC!
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I have to agree here. Surfing has been a very good expeience so far.

Yes...I use SBP Pocket Plus. I offers full screen in PIE and the ability to open a link in a seperate window...great for loading a link while still browsing the page your currently on.
    Do you PPC owners still have and use the Treo's?

Why would you hang around TREO-Central? Just curious. .. not trying to be pushy or anything..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I sold my 600 4 days before the official announcement of the 650. I still hang around because:

1) It is a nice community
    2) There are, believe or not, a lot of PPC owners here to learn from.
    3) I have no loyality to any phone or OS. If Palm get's their act together again, I could be back just as easily as I purchase my next WM phone. It is all about what will do the best job for meeting the requirements of my job.
    Wow, Hobbes.. I would have never guessed that you have been Treo-less for more than a year. I like your posts in Off-Topic forum (although I disagree wit almost everything you say !!)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Grrrr. This side is getting smaller! What is the deal? Will you folks be coming back if the 700 has Garnet?

Hobbes & phurth, Now I see why we have different views, it is the PPC. Pretty soon Tem(a.k.a.=?) and t2 are going to be arguing with me soon to come because of their phone conversions. Boooo hooooo I feel so lonely now!

I am feeling pretty good about it so far. There is a lot to learn.

You dont have to worry about me 'changing'...I like to debate regardless of my phone :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast