Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, two days passed after my switch from the T650 (which i have saved in case...). Iím 75% leaning on it going back.

1. It comes on all the time when switching networks, reminders, etc. screen is unlocked, and buttons can get pushed. No fix as of now.
    2. Pain in the neck to add a quick calendar appt (what I use for reminders)
    3. Bluetooth integration with car is good (parrot ck3100), but not as good as treo without buying Voice Command from Microsoft, $40.
    4. Network switching seems to be weird going from wifi to EVDO to 1X. Doesnít always catch for some reason.
    5. No way to tell if you have caps on, num lock, etc until you start typing.
    6. SMS is handled by outlook, new email for each message. Big step back from 650ís threading.
    7. Picturemail doesnít work with it, have to mail from different account now.
    8. Joystick doesnít go to all the places it should like a treo.

The fast internet is pretty good, but I really havenít had a chance to use it yet as our house is on the fringe. Thus leading to complaint 1. Iím going to give the phone a workout this weekend on a trip to Baltimore. Unless it blows me away (mainly internet as thatís the only thing that is really a step forward on the device), it will be heading back next week. I do like the landscape screen though even though it has LESS pixels than a treo. Wifi is sweet, but it sucks the battery dry. Good EVDO coverage would mean wifi is a moot point to me.

I just donít think ppc will beat a treo in my book right now. PPC on a treoÖmaybe if its integrated right. The treo does all that I want it to do even without true multitasking. Music, movies, internet, email, organization. EVDO on a treo will be the nuts. Iím back on the TREO 700p bandwagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGibbons
    1. It comes on all the time when switching networks, reminders, etc. screen is unlocked, and buttons can get pushed. No fix as of now.
    Have you tried MortSaver?
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    There's also a hack available that reduces the polling time for those on an EVDO fringe area that great improves stability...
    The whiny minority always out-posts the contented majority.
  4.    #4  
    Mortsaver...haven't tried as I need the ability for the phone to wake up and dial from a bluetooth car kit. From what I've read, that's not possible. I'd love to be shown differently!

Problem is I live on a Sprint fringe area, not just an EVDO fringe area. I get signal, get EVDO, then drop signal, etc. On and off, up to 3 times a minute. Pretty annoying. Does the hack help with that?

Thanks for the tips!
    I would also go over to PDAphoneHome 6700 forum and post your concerns or search to see if anyone else has already found answers for them.
    Just stick with it... I felt the same way when I got mine and now the Treo is collecting dust... there are talks of a update with some fixes of certain concerns you have. Picturemail being one of them. As for SMS, the Windows Treo SMS program, when it comes out, will be taken for the 6700 since it is also a windows based phone... Give it some time and you'll forget about the Treo.
    Last edited by Bad Ash; 12/02/2005 at 10:14 AM.
    This device is really starting to interest me. I will be going to sprint soon to play around with it. How does the screen quality compare to the 650? Do bt headsets work better since it has 1.2 (no static)? All of my headsets have static because I have wifi. I'll do some more searching and thanks for any help.
    This device is really starting to interest me. I will be going to sprint soon to play around with it. How does the screen quality compare to the 650? Do bt headsets work better since it has 1.2 (no static)? All of my headsets have static because I have wifi. I'll do some more searching and thanks for any help.
    I have found the screen to be equivalent to the Treo's in quality. The Treo is slightly better, but not enough to make a difference to me. The 6700 screen is larger, so despite the 320x240 resolution I find I can actually fit more readable information on screen.

I also find the BT much better. The range is better with my (Treo) headset. It also always connects as expected which wasn't the case with my Treo 650. The 6700 supports DUN, so you can use it as an EVDO modem - very handy.

The keyboard is a love it or hate it thing. I love the layout (less cramped) but hate the backlight which I just turn off except when in the dark.

Give it a shot - you always have 14 to take it back!

Pete
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    FWIW, my impression of the screen quality on the 6700 completely ended my device envy. Personally, I found it to be a large step down in brightness and clarity, and I played around quite a bit with the settings in the store. I was quite surprised, actually. I expected it to be similar, but the 650 really was quite a bit better.

Otherwise, it seems like a nice device. I'm kinda glad the screen ended my lust, because I'd just as soon wait until my 2 years are up and get a full discount on the latest and greatest at that time (high density VGA screen, 4mb internal flash, super-incredible-electron-sized-micro-sd-slot, etc.). I hope I can...
    True, 320x320 is better, but 320x240 is standard for several WM devices. I have a device with 320x240, it looks decent to me. Plus can't deny the 6700's features. I just don't like that model, but the GSM model is hot!

Treo does have the great one-handed form factor, and the great Palm OS. I will always love it, but they need to update significantly next year to get me to buy the new model.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    How is the camcorder quality? Does anyone have a few files that I could view?
    Quote Originally Posted by ptyork
    FWIW, my impression of the screen quality on the 6700 completely ended my device envy. Personally, I found it to be a large step down in brightness and clarity, and I played around quite a bit with the settings in the store. I was quite surprised, actually. I expected it to be similar, but the 650 really was quite a bit better.

Otherwise, it seems like a nice device. I'm kinda glad the screen ended my lust, because I'd just as soon wait until my 2 years are up and get a full discount on the latest and greatest at that time (high density VGA screen, 4mb internal flash, super-incredible-electron-sized-micro-sd-slot, etc.). I hope I can...
    The VGA phones are now coming out in Japan so we'll be seeing them before too long. The resolution on the 6700 seems so much worse than the Treo because the screen is larger, but the lack of brightness is something that they could have fixed. No reason to make it low-res and dim.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    The resolution on the 6700 seems so much worse than the Treo because the screen is larger, but the lack of brightness is something that they could have fixed. No reason to make it low-res and dim.
    There must be a substantial variance in the build quality of this device, because I couldn't disagree more. The brightness of my 6700 at the highest setting is only slightly less that my Treo at its highest setting (which I never used because I found it too bright). I also disagree about the resolution seeming so much worse. Using the mobile version of the TC site as a reference, I can fit significantly more on the 6700's screen and still have it be readable. I am using ClearType to smooth smaller fonts, and that seems to help a lot. At some point, more pixels do nothing unless the screen size is increased.
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    There must be a substantial variance in the build quality of this device, because I couldn't disagree more. The brightness of my 6700 at the highest setting is only slightly less that my Treo at its highest setting (which I never used because I found it too bright). I also disagree about the resolution seeming so much worse. Using the mobile version of the TC site as a reference, I can fit significantly more on the 6700's screen and still have it be readable. I am using ClearType to smooth smaller fonts, and that seems to help a lot. At some point, more pixels do nothing unless the screen size is increased.
    Try watching movies. The extra pixels and brightness make a huge difference. There's no denying that the 650 has a brighter screen, higher resolution and much smaller pixels.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Try watching movies. The extra pixels and brightness make a huge difference. There's no denying that the 650 has a brighter screen, higher resolution and much smaller pixels.

This all depends on how you prepare the movie... different ways to decode movies... I have both a Treo and 6700... like I've said before the Treo is now collecting dust. (and the screen is far from dim...)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsh
    This all depends on how you prepare the movie... different ways to decode movies... I have both a Treo and 6700... like I've said before the Treo is now collecting dust. (and the screen is far from dim...)
    Absolutely correct. Plus movies aren't postage stamp sized on the 6700. 2000 Man - I haven't said that the Treo's screen isn't brighter or higher-res. It's just not a big enough difference to matter to me or negate all the other advantages I've found.
    I had my PPC-6700 for two weeks and then returned it, but I'll add my two cents...

- Screen size is wider than the Treo's (which you probably already knew), so it will probably be better for video watching (in the right lighting). Brightness wasn't as good as the Treo 650's and this was most problematic when using it under direct sunlight in the car (which is when I typically crank my Treo up all the way). Resolution of the Treo is technically better, but the built-in support for ClearType (sub-pixel font smoothing) might give the PPC-6700 an edge here, IMO.

- I can't comment on static issues around WiFi, as I've never had any static issues with my Treo that I'm aware of. As phurth said, BT seemed more reliable to connect (and quicker to connect) than with my Treo 650.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash
    No, it doesn't. The 650 will still have a higher resolution screen, smaller pixels and more brightness. How you "prepare" your movies can do NOTHING to change those facts.

If you don't mind taking the lesser resolution, worse brightness and lack of clarity of the 6700's screen, that's one thing. To try and deny the difference is just plain foolish.
    I'm going to get the GSM version anyway. I may wait to see if there are any bugs, but it's at the top of my list. Watching movies on a phone isn't in the top 5 reasons I need this device. It's cool, but not important to me. Viewing websites is another story, however. Is it that much worse for viewing websites?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    I have 20/10 vision and I REALLY CANNOT see a major difference in screens. I believe the quality of my screen on my QTek 9100 is actually a plus.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast