Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Trust me. With the screen brightness turned all the way up, it's not even close to as bright as the 650. The screen actually goes a bit brighter when you open up the camera application, but you can't get that level of brightness normally. It's one of the many bugs that everyone is hoping gets fixed soon. Even with that brightness boost, it's not near the 650's level. The LCD is one thing that HTC did very well on the 650.
    Does this apply to the Wizard and K-JAM too?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Does this apply to the Wizard and K-JAM too?
    I haven't used either of those devices, so I couldn't tell you. The 6700 seems to have a number of hardware problems (lack of brightness, poor speakerphone, poor keyboard backlighting, no backlighting of the buttons on the front of the device, wobble in keyboard when closed on some units, etc) so I wouldn't be surprised if the other devices were better. The 6700 just feels like it was rushed to market and never really given much attention by HTC.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    I have absolutely NO issue with the screen brightness on my QTek 9100. It is plenty bright IMO.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    I have absolutely NO issue with the screen brightness on my QTek 9100. It is plenty bright IMO.
    That's all well and good, but how is the brightness compared to the 650? That's what's being discussed here.
    Let's just let it rest - there is NO PDA or smartphone out there with a screen as bright and clear as the Treo 650 (and I've moved to the darkside despite this). I don't know what the alchemists did with the 650, but it is the best screen ever (and don't even hit me about the VGA PPC's - had a Dell myself) or the Sony heros of old.

But as Lady Treo said, it is a question of preference, and for some (many?) of us other features (including voice/sound quality and stability) are more important.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Let's just let it rest - there is NO PDA or smartphone out there with a screen as bright and clear as the Treo 650 (and I've moved to the darkside despite this). I don't know what the alchemists did with the 650, but it is the best screen ever (and don't even hit me about the VGA PPC's - had a Dell myself) or the Sony heros of old.

But as Lady Treo said, it is a question of preference, and for some (many?) of us other features (including voice/sound quality and stability) are more important.
    Have you tried the other two that Lady Treo asked about specifically? I know that their resolution can't compete with the 650, but how's the brightness?
    I played with the ppc 6700 at a friend's home. It is feature-rich but looks soooo ugly! Form factor cannot compete with the 650. One-handed-ness sucks plus it is running windows!! Arrrgh! With those negatives, it is hard to justify jumping platforms as my favorite treocentral posters did! They sooo miss this board and come back here because the other forums are too bland and stoic.(and to no doubt sing the praises of a "Treokiller") I am a Mac guy and have a powerbook so to have that mate with a PPC mobile device running WM5 is blasphemy! Once I made that transition from a windows machine I never looked back... furthermore , I paid good money for third-party software and again cannot justify doing a 360 simply because it has wifi..or better bluetooth but a lower-res screen!(visually I can't go backwards either) I need a phone first with pda functions; meaning it should look and behave like a phone foremostly not resemble a PSP with an antenna! Try giving that monstrosity to a friend to make a call! You thought the 650 stumped them? I don't worship Palm either as they have made missteps with their treo series and the lack of Wifi and stability have caused a lot of cool folk here to make that Exodus over to the "Darkside". Also I wonder if 6700 folk are more or less productive with their new toy and OS vis a vis 650 folk? We should form teams like the "Apprentice" with one side having 650s and the other side having 6700s to see who can be the most productive and make the most bucks! Who's with me? First prize? $100,000. Our effective one-handedness on our treos may give us an edge though...teehee

In closing, I do respect the decisions made by those that want a different experience with their devices, and in their protest to Palm's incrementalism and seemingly retarded iterations of the Treo line, you may find yourself becoming hard-pressed to blame them.
    Last edited by treo600kings; 12/09/2005 at 09:31 AM.
    Phone first with PDA functions = Treo 650 by a landslide!

It will be interesting to see what extras the 700p brings to the table next month. It will have EV-DO, BT 1.2 and probably WiFi.

It will be interesting to see what extras the 700p brings to the table next month. It will have EV-DO, BT 1.2 and probably WiFi.
    If it does, I'm there. Question though...what makes you think it will have wifi?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    Since I have sold my Treo 650 I cannot make a side by side comparison of screens with my QTek. There is no doubt the Treo had a gorgeous screen but my QTek's is darn good as well. Some may call it a step backwards and I would agree if they were physically the same size screens; however, the fact that I have a larger screen now, makes it more like a step sideways.

I have stated before, I am thrilled with my QTek 9100.

BTW, the form factor on the QTek is very nice (it has no antenna and is curvier than the squarish 6700).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

I've never used a Sprint Treo 650 so I realize it's an unfair comparison, but my Sprint 6700 is a waaay better phone than my GSM Treo 650.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    I've never used a Sprint Treo 650 so I realize it's an unfair comparison, but my Sprint 6700 is a waaay better phone than my GSM Treo 650.
    I'm sure that you're not talking about the phone app, the speed dials, the SMS app, the volume control, the speakerphone or the contact lookup. Those are the "phone" features and the 650 is lightyears ahead of the 6700 in every one of them.
    I'm sure that you're not talking about the phone app, the speed dials, the SMS app, the volume control, the speakerphone or the contact lookup. Those are the "phone" features and the 650 is lightyears ahead of the 6700 in every one of them.
    "Lightyears" is an exaggeration.

The phone app itself has picture caller ID which the 650 does not. In every other way I can think of it is equivalent.

The Treo does have a better SMS app, but only if you carry on conversations via SMS and want them threaded. Many people do, many don't care (I'm one of them).

Actually the volume control on the 6700 works the same as on the 650, so I don't know what you mean by that.

The speakerphone on my 650 was no louder than the speakerphone on my 6700.

Contact lookup on the 650 is indeed much better than the stock 6700 (I use 3rd party software that narrows the gap significantly).

Frankly, both the 650 and the 6700 are crappy "phones". I much preferred my Nokia 3650 as a pure "phone" with lightweight PDA functionality. I use my 6700 primarily for business as a portable office that can make phone calls using my BT headset. For me, it's a much better device than the Treo in terms of software compatibility and stability. Others have had different experiences. Fine. I used the Treo 650 for almost a year. I bought a couple hundred dollars worth of software to make it better. Despite that, I never was completely satisfied with it. I tried out the 6700 and found it to be a better device for me.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    You can dial number more easily on the 650. No need to touch the screen or pull out a keyboard. It's especially easy when you're entering numbers after the call has started. Like when you're calling your bank or some other system like that.

The volume control does not work the same. You can't have different volumes for the speakerphone and the earpiece on the 6700. You can on the 650. The 650 also has a dedicated switch on the top of the device to silence everything. Nothing resembling that on the 6700.

The speakerphone is much louder on the Sprint 650. Maybe the GSM ones had different speakers, but I'd doubt it. It's also much clearer on the 650. You can actually use it in the car. Forget about even attempting that with the 6700. The 650 also has a dedicated speakerphone button that's always on screen (can be touched or gotten easily with the d-pad) while the 6700 has the speakerphone buried a bit.

The SMS app is better even if you never send more than one SMS to anyone. It's more intuitive and easier to use since it's a dedicated app and not stuck in Outlook. I can't believe that you, or anyone else, would prefer to not have the ability to thread your SMS conversations. As soon as someone can crack WM5 and comes out with a threaded SMS app, they'll make a fortune.

I can appreciate the better PDA on the 6700 and can see how it would be a better device for some people (like yourself). As far as phones go, the 650 just blows the 6700 away.

I doubt that 700p will have wifi. palm could have included built in wifi in 700w but chose not to, they must be convinced that wifi is not essential to customers.
    I prefer the Treo too because of form factor and the OS. But WM5 devices have wi-fi built in, which is one reason I want to switch. Cingular's data rates . Another reason, they have 1.2 BT. Another reason, push email.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by sj2004
    I doubt that 700p will have wifi. palm could have included built in wifi in 700w but chose not to, they must be convinced that wifi is not essential to customers.
    Arguably it's not essential to all their customers...
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Arguably it's not essential to all their customers...
    It may not be essential to all their customers, but i belive that most of customers who wanted wifi will change platform to windows mobile. I know that you can agrue about pros and cons of wifi equally both ways, however wifi should be standard on smartphones just as infrared became standard back in the days.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    You can dial number more easily on the 650. No need to touch the screen or pull out a keyboard. It's especially easy when you're entering numbers after the call has started. Like when you're calling your bank or some other system like that.
    One-handed dialing and typing in numbers while on a call is a one-handed procedure for me on my QTek. Easy.

The volume control does not work the same. You can't have different volumes for the speakerphone and the earpiece on the 6700. You can on the 650. The 650 also has a dedicated switch on the top of the device to silence everything. Nothing resembling that on the 6700.
    Wrong. The button on the top left just needs to be pressed and held to toggle between vibrate and sound on. Just as simple as the switch on the treo.

The speakerphone is much louder on the Sprint 650. Maybe the GSM ones had different speakers, but I'd doubt it. It's also much clearer on the 650. You can actually use it in the car. Forget about even attempting that with the 6700.
    Not even close. My Treo's speaker phone was useless. Heck even my earpiece volume was useless. I had to buy VolumeCare just to get it to work right. No such problems on my QTek. (I know the volume has been issue has been corrected with the latest firmware, but how long has it been out? Ridiculous.) The Treo's volume troubles were HUGE!

The 650 also has a dedicated speakerphone button that's always on screen (can be touched or gotten easily with the d-pad) while the 6700 has the speakerphone buried a bit.
    It's only two clicks away (hardly buried).

The SMS app is better even if you never send more than one SMS to anyone. It's more intuitive and easier to use since it's a dedicated app and not stuck in Outlook. I can't believe that you, or anyone else, would prefer to not have the ability to thread your SMS conversations. As soon as someone can crack WM5 and comes out with a threaded SMS app, they'll make a fortune.
    SMS is better on the Treo but I would hardly consider the one on WM 5.0 hard to use. It's pretty intuitive to me eventhough I only SMS a couple of times a day. Definitely not a deal breaker.

I can appreciate the better PDA on the 6700 and can see how it would be a better device for some people (like yourself).
    We agree on this point.

As far as phones go, the 650 just blows the 6700 away.
    IMO, that is a ludicrous statement.

Who cares about your QTek? Get with the program. We're talking about the 6700 here.

Please explain exactly which button to press on the 6700 to silence all sounds? Have you ever owned a 6700? You sure don't sound like you know much about them.