Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 163
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    hahaha. Please tell me you aren't dumb enough to think that the 6700 is 16:9? If you're smart enough to know that 320x240 is NOT 16:9, then why can't you figure out how to encode movies 16:9 to watch on the 650? It's really simple.
    better to view a 16:9 image yes... if you want to view your movies on a tiny little square screen... be my guest but to argue with someone on the internet about personal preference... stupid. so to each his own. ill take more features along with the bigger screen... (sidenote...resolution has nothing to do with aspect ratio...........please tell me you are not that dumb? just like when you have a 4:3 tv that converts to 16:9... resolution is truly not changing but is better to view the image.)
  2. #42  
    PM me and I'll explain to you how to watch a 16:9 movie on a 320x320 screen. It's really not very complicated. It sounds like you may be struggling with your new phone.
  3. #43  
    Yeah, with 16:9 in both cases you'll be looking at a 320x180 resolution image (assuming you max the image all the way out to 320), it's just that the Treo's 16:9 image will be physically about two-thirds the size of the 6700's. In other words, the 6700 image will be small - the Treo image will be tiny ... but it's a very high resolution tiny!
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Yeah, with 16:9 in both cases you'll be looking at a 320x180 resolution image (assuming you max the image all the way out to 320), it's just that the Treo's 16:9 image will be physically about two-thirds the size of the 6700's. In other words, the 6700 image will be small - the Treo image will be tiny ... but it's a very high resolution tiny!
    Exactly. Bad Ash was having a lot of trouble with the math.

    The Treo will be clearer (smaller pixels) while the 6700 will be larger. The 650 will be brighter while the 6700 will be dimmer. It all depends on what you prefer.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Exactly. Bad Ash was having a lot of trouble with the math.

    The Treo will be clearer (smaller pixels) while the 6700 will be larger. The 650 will be brighter while the 6700 will be dimmer. It all depends on what you prefer.

    I've been talking about screen size!!! But you fail to realize this! Just like the above post the screen will have a larger viewable area on the 6700!!! That's all I was saying!!! Thank you.
  6. #46  
    So even though I've had the 6700 for 3 weeks now, today was my first opportunity to stress-test it on the road. I had a 3.5 hour drive ahead of me through a rural part of northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. My favorite radio station operates on lower power at his time of year and there was no way I'd be able to listen. What to do? The station provides a Windows Media stream, so I started it up on my 6700.

    OK, but the speaker isn't terribly loud and is a bit tinny. I didn't want to use the cassette adapter I normally use for my iPod. Then I remembered that my Treo BT headset simply opens an audio gateway to the 6700 if you press the button once. Cool - streaming radio in my ear the whole way home.

    The neat thing is while this is working in the background (without any stuttering and almost no rebuffering), I was still able to read e-mails as they arrived, check out new TC posts and RSS feeds, and make outgoing calls. The BT headset did everything exactly as it should have - connecting when I wanted to call and disconnecting when done. The audio stream would pick right back up by itself after the call, and one press on the headset re-opened the audio gateway. All seamless and with 100% stability. No resets. It just plain worked exactly as expected.

    All this and I was able to record fuel consumption and mileage in a great program, and run Mapopolis for navigation all on this same device.

    Today, I am indescribably happy with this phone!
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  7. #47  
    So you had to listen to the music through your BT headset in only one ear? Sounds cool otherwise.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Exactly. Bad Ash was having a lot of trouble with the math.

    The Treo will be clearer (smaller pixels) while the 6700 will be larger. The 650 will be brighter while the 6700 will be dimmer. It all depends on what you prefer.
    Tiny is tiny - packed pixels or not. The larger screen at the same resolution is better for viewing. Since a pda-modified movie already has undergone significant compression to bring it down to the resolutions we're describing, "clearer" compression artifacts are not necessarily a good thing (in fact, "clearer" is a meaningless phrase in this context). The (alleged) brighter Treo screen is a red herring, except when watching movies in bright, direct sunlight.

    PM me and I'll explain to you how to adjust the brightness, contrast and gamma on a converted video file.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Tiny is tiny - packed pixels or not. The larger screen at the same resolution is better for viewing. Since a pda-modified movie already has undergone significant compression to bring it down to the resolutions we're describing, "clearer" compression artifacts are not necessarily a good thing (in fact, "clearer" is a meaningless phrase in this context). The (alleged) brighter Treo screen is a red herring, except when watching movies in bright, direct sunlight.

    PM me and I'll explain to you how to adjust the brightness, contrast and gamma on a converted video file.
    Wrong. A larger screen is not always better when maintaining the same resolution. Also, you'd have to be a fool not to see that the 650 has a brighter screen. I use my phone outside, under direct sunlight every single day.

    Aritificially adjusting gamma or brigthness will only make movies look washed out on the 6700 and harder to view when outside. No thanks.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    So you had to listen to the music through your BT headset in only one ear? Sounds cool otherwise.
    One ear was OK because it was talk radio (and I was driving so using headphones would have been wrong).
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    A larger screen is not always better when maintaining the same resolution.
    At some point it obviously is better though. If not, we'd all still be using 13" TVs because of the fine picture quality.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    At some point it obviously is better though. If not, we'd all still be using 13" TVs because of the fine picture quality.
    It obviously depends on the distance from the screen and the visual acuity of the viewer.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    It obviously depends on the distance from the screen and the visual acuity of the viewer.
    Of course.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  14. #54  
    You are BOTH correct! Both are preferred. Why is HD TV now so popular? Big screen AND high resolution. But with phones, you have to decide what you want more because no one is putting higher resolution on phones with wide screens(except one that is too much money!). Matter of preference.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Matter of preference.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    You are BOTH correct! Both are preferred. Why is HD TV now so popular? Big screen AND high resolution. But with phones, you have to decide what you want more because no one is putting higher resolution on phones with wide screens(except one that is too much money!). Matter of preference.
    Exactly. The very dim screen of the 6700 also comes into play. If it had the brightness of the 650, I might feel differently about watching movies on it.
  17. #57  
    If the screen really is dim, I hope the Wizard is better. The 6700 I saw was broken(every WM Sprint demo I see has a problem ) so I couldn't look at the screen lighted.

    But on the model you saw, maybe the screen was dimmer because you can adjust brightness. Someone might have put it on low to conserve the battery? My iPAQ has the same resolution and is bright enough, in fact I reduced the brightness myself.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #58  
    Trust me. With the screen brightness turned all the way up, it's not even close to as bright as the 650. The screen actually goes a bit brighter when you open up the camera application, but you can't get that level of brightness normally. It's one of the many bugs that everyone is hoping gets fixed soon. Even with that brightness boost, it's not near the 650's level. The LCD is one thing that HTC did very well on the 650.
  19. sledgie's Avatar
    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #59  
    lady treo,
    i bet the ppc 6700 you saw wasnt actually broken - it more than likely had the backlight of the lcd screen turned off due to people not knowing how to turn it on/off correctly. if you hold the power button for 2 seconds while the screen is on, the backlight goes off. hold it again and it turns back on. a quick tap turns the screen completely on/off. you might want to try it at the sprint store if you happen down there again. then you can go into the brightness display and turn it all the way up and see if its really as dim as 2000 man makes it out to be.
  20. #60  
    It also wouldn't slide open. And even when I touched the screen, it didn't light up. It was on, I did see the darkened screen, but it didn't work. I don't know what they do to the displays but this is the 3rd broken or disabled display I've seen at Sprint. At Cingular, all the displays work fine.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions