Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    No, it doesn't. The 650 will still have a higher resolution screen, smaller pixels and more brightness. How you "prepare" your movies can do NOTHING to change those facts.

If you don't mind taking the lesser resolution, worse brightness and lack of clarity of the 6700's screen, that's one thing. To try and deny the difference is just plain foolish.
    it sure does... don't know how you rencode your movies but I know what I am doing. and on the 6700 you can view them in 16:9 instead of a tiny square....and I never denied anything, I simply stated I disagreed with you about viewing films on the 6700. I think you are just a 6700 hater... on a side note for those of you who have not heard, there will be no threaded sms on the treo w... that's a bummer.
    Last edited by Bad Ash; 12/04/2005 at 12:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash
    it sure does... don't know how you rencode your movies but I know what I am doing. and on the 6700 you can view them in 16:9 instead of a tiny square....and I never denied anything, I simply stated I disagreed with you about viewing films on the 6700. I think you are just a 6700 hater... on a side note for those of you who have not heard, there will be no threaded sms on the treo w... that's a bummer.
    hahaha. Please tell me you aren't dumb enough to think that the 6700 is 16:9? If you're smart enough to know that 320x240 is NOT 16:9, then why can't you figure out how to encode movies 16:9 to watch on the 650? It's really simple.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i believe he's saying he'd rather watch a movie on a larger screen (6700/qtek) at 16:9 than have to watch it on treo at 16:9 (postage stamp size). please stop you hating on the 6700. the treo has more pixels and smaller screen real estate. the 6700/qtek has larger screen and less pixels/resolution. plus cleartype fonts. whichever your fancy, the screen is larger on the 6700/qtek. some will like it, some will not. your bashing is getting babyish.
    Bad news about no threaded SMS. Real bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    i believe he's saying he'd rather watch a movie on a larger screen (6700/qtek) at 16:9 than have to watch it on treo at 16:9 (postage stamp size). please stop you hating on the 6700. the treo has more pixels and smaller screen real estate. the 6700/qtek has larger screen and less pixels/resolution. plus cleartype fonts. whichever your fancy, the screen is larger on the 6700/qtek. some will like it, some will not. your bashing is getting babyish.

Saying someone is dumb because they disagree with you (or you don't understand their point) is obnoxious.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Bad news about no threaded SMS. Real bad.
    More bad news. Where's info and hype on the new Palm OS Treo? Yes I prefer Palm OS too, WM5 is a bit of a hassle. But I wanted to buy within the earlier part of 2006. Only WM5 devices appear to be coming out in that time frame. Some are already out.

Treo 650 is still the best device I've owned so far. But if we have to wait until the end of next year to get the latest model with hopefully better features, it might be too late. Too late for Palm OS Treo.

Hopefully they will start talking in January about the new Palm OS Treo.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    I actually see merits in both. More pixels means clearer detail, right? But larger screen is great too! 2 newer PDAs have 320x480 and 480x640, now on a phone, that would be sweet! I'd go for the 320x480(480x640 may be asking too much on a phone), then both sides could get what they want. Clarity for the pixel lovers and width(in landscape mode) for the large screen lovers.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Wow...this sure turned nasty, but I'll chime in again about the screen size/resolution debate as it pertains to video watching...The Treo 650 and the PPC-6700 screens each have their strengths and weaknesses. The 6700's decreased brightness became a usability issue for me in outdoor direct sunlight, but indoors it was fine. For videos, the 6700 definitely has the edge because of the larger size, IMO. I really think that 320x240 is high enough of a resolution for a screen as small as the 6700's. The 650's higher pixels per inch may be great for showing off, but if you're going to watch a 1/2 hour (or longer) show, I think that most would trade the higher res for a somewhat larger screen. What's more, the perfectly square screen of the 650 will require either cropping or black horizontal bars for even 4:3 (standard TV) content.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    On this movie encoding issue:

First off, no movie is shot using a square aspect ration. All movies are wider than they are tall.

Treo 650 screen resolution: 320x320
    PPC6700 screen resolution: 320x240

So when viewed in the landscape orientation, the 6700 has a wide aspect ratio screen (obviously not 16:9, but also obviously closer than the Treo).

It is absolutely pointless to encode your video at a resolution of higher than 320 pixels in either direction. If the screens were higher res, you could, but the cost would be ballooning file size.

A 16:9 movie, ripped down to a width of 320 pixels with no horizontal clipping will yield a pixel height of 144 (according to Handbrake, a MacOS DVD ripper). So where, exactly is the advantage of the Treo's higher vertical resolution? Given the smaller physical screen size and the square aspect ratio, clearly the 6700 is a better device for viewing video (assuming your brightness is like mine and is similar to the Treo's). That is unless you like watching really, really tiny movies. Remember, not only is the horizontal measure of the film going to be the difference between the Treo's screen and the 6700's (the long way), but the vertical measure of the film will be extremely small on the Treo unless you completely distort the aspect ratio to cause it to fill the screen.

Yes, the pixels are larger on the 6700. Does this matter when watching video on it? It's not noticable to me. It the Treo's backlighting brighter? Yes, but again, not enough that it makes a difference to me.

Does the 6700's aspect ratio make a difference when viewing video? Absolutely. This is one of many reasons why I switched from the Treo to the 6700. When I was still using my Treo I would not watch video on it because it was simply to small to be viewed comfortably (by me). I preferred using my iPaq 4350 with the same 320x240 res as the 6700 but with a physically much larger screen (and very visible pixels) because it didn't hurt my eyes.

Getting a higher resolution screen (say 640x480) would be great, but video ripped at that res would take up so much more space that storage would quickly become a constraint.

In the end, these things are not home entertainment systems. The larger screen lets me more comfortably watch a movie on a plane or in an airport. It works for me. If you like the higher res but smaller video on a Treo - that's fine, too.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Couldn't the video be stored on a high speed high capacity card and played from there? And although I do think 640 is high for a phone, what about 480?

Anyway I get the feeling those 2 new PDAs ARE indeed saying you can watch video on them. I just discovered a 3rd PDA with 320x480 res. And if high resolution can be done on a PDA, how long before we can get it on a phone?

I would love to see a VGA screen on these phones. With removeable memory being so cheap, I couldn't care less about filesizes being larger.

I value the screen brightness of the 650. The 6700 is just awful looking in comparison, especially outside during the day. It's just another bug in the phone because the screen can actually go brighter. Just try using the camera and you'll see.

It's up to everyone to decide which things they value more in their phone. It's just sad when uneducated people try to make wild claims to justify their large purchases. Sorry sledgie, the 6700 isn't perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Couldn't the video be stored on a high speed high capacity card and played from there? And although I do think 640 is high for a phone, what about 480?

Anyway I get the feeling those 2 new PDAs ARE indeed saying you can watch video on them. I just discovered a 3rd PDA with 320x480 res. And if high resolution can be done on a PDA, how long before we can get it on a phone?
    The problem is there isn't (yet) a truly high-speed & high-capacity storage means for these PDA phones yet. They are most all SD or mini-SD which tops out at 2GB for now - and that's a pretty expensive card. A full length movie ripped down with good frame/bitrate quality at 320x144 (16:9) is about 250-300MB depending on the length of the film. I have a 1GB card in my 6700 and after Audible content, a very small amount of music, programs, and maps I only have room for one long film or maybe 2 short ones. Any higher resolution encoding would only make this worse. The alternative would be a device with a small hard drive (like the LifeDrive or iPod) - if you don't value battery life. Remember your PDA phone has at least one radio it's powering constantly as well.

Of course there already is a high-res alternative - the HTC Universal/i-Mate Jasjar (BTW - is that not the stupidest device name ever???).
    2GB SD cards are less than $100 now.
    It's up to everyone to decide which things they value more in their phone. It's just sad when uneducated people try to make wild claims to justify their large purchases. Sorry sledgie, the 6700 isn't perfect.
    I chose to value stability (not a single reset since getting this thing) and flexibility (I no longer have to carry two devices & accessories ). Is the 6700 perfect? No way. Is the Treo? No. They are each better at some things and good enough at others to keep us (more-or-less) happy. For my uses, the 6700 has been fabulous - much better than my Treo. For 2000 Man, not so much. To each his own. At least we have a choice, eh?
    Thanks, that's good to know. I get this twitch when I contemplate backing up 2GB via ActiveSync though.

I'm used to my iPod w/FireWire.
    The cheapest I've seen is $109 AFTER rebate. And it wasn't SanDisk or Kingston.

Also, that's SD - there aren't any 2GB mini-SDs yet.
    I saw a pda today that had the 320x480, it look so good. I just bought the 6700, so far, it great. Using the BT250 had some static on the Treo, but with the 6700, the static isnt present unless you move far away from the phone. I still need to buy bt headset thats 1.2 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Also, that's SD - there aren't any 2GB mini-SDs yet.
    You can find a 2GB mini sd card here for US$299.
    Quote Originally Posted by sj2004
    You can find a 2GB mini sd card here for US$299.
    Ouch!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast