Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Came across the following article on yahoo news. Very interesting! What are your thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051130/tc_nm/rim_dc

KAOS
    I'm going to read the article, but doesn't the US government use BB? So they probably won't let them shut down entirely.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I'm going to read the article, but doesn't the US government use BB? So they probably won't let them shut down entirely.
    Right, there will be a "fedberry only" connection to be sure!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    The federal government has asked for an exception for federal employees.
    RIM will not shutdown. Their lawyers are just trying to get the best possible legal and financial position instead of just paying the royalties (which eventually RIM will pay, once all the legal options are exhausted).

Did they not state that RIM already have some other way to run their business without infringing NTP's patents?
    Yes, RIM claims they already have software "work-around" for the NTP patents. We'll see. Why haven't they implemented it? Would the courts agree that it is a work-around? Even if they do, will the work-around work as well and as securely? I agree; what I expect the least is a US "shutdown" at any level. It serves no one's interest, especially not NTP's. Then again, these wouldn't be the first companies to act against their interests.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Yes, RIM claims they already have software "work-around" for the NTP patents.
    RIM always promises something then fails to deliver..

It is amazing that the US Government utilizes a solution which stores their information outside US Soil... Maybe the Chinese will buy BB?

Seriously, this is all about money. NTP is just using the courts to up the settlement amount.
    Why am I even concerned with Blackberry...I mean come on...Chatter works awesome!! And I blow all of my crackberry friends out of the water with applied use.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBallMan
    RIM always promises something then fails to deliver..

It is amazing that the US Government utilizes a solution which stores their information outside US Soil... Maybe the Chinese will buy BB?

Seriously, this is all about money. NTP is just using the courts to up the settlement amount.
    You're right: it is very seriously all about money. Patents are all about money.

But RIM owns this segment of the market because they have delivered. No one does "email for adults" like RIM, and no one does mobile security like RIM. That's why Palm and others license BB solutions. RIM also has first-to-market advantages -for now and the near future.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Actually, NTP has asked the Court that if an injunction is enforced federal and emergency employees be exempted from it.

Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    The federal government has asked for an exception for federal employees.
    I can't imagine that RIM won't have made an acceptable settlement offer before they are shutdown.
    The way I read it was that Federal, State, (maybe local governments too?) and First Responders were exempt.... just the private sector companies that invested in BB servers and looked down their noses at Palm (and other) alternatives would be royally reamed.

I gotta admit, there would be a sick-o satisfaction if, in a world where all the BB's were shut down and addicted RIMers were going through withdrawl, I could pull my Treo out in a very public place and blatently do e-mail & such right under their noses- which would be out of joint by then. My Bad!!!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    You would probably get jumped and beaten

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    I gotta admit, there would be a sick-o satisfaction if, in a world where all the BB's were shut down and addicted RIMers were going through withdrawl, I could pull my Treo out in a very public place and blatently do e-mail & such right under their noses- which would be out of joint by then. My Bad!!!
    Treo 650 with 2-year contract... $299

Unlimited Data from Verizon... $45 a month

Emergency Room Expenses when you are Jumped & Beaten by flaunting
    your Treo when BlackBerry has to shut down... 1000.00

Satisfaction that you can do mobile E-mail, when RIMers can't... Priceless!

Hmmm... If it means I am not asked ever again "Is that a Blackberry?"...
    it might just be worth it.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    BB would be really stupid to let themselves get shut down!! As much as people claim to hate them, they still have tied up a lot of the mobile email market. Any shut down means many customers could leave for either Palm or WM devices, and never come back.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    This actually demonstrates the weakness of a centralized system such as blackberry. Imagine if all Linux servers had to shut down due to SCO suing them.

Surur
    I agree with Surur; great idea, and even easy hardware solution on RIM's part. The issue is that if the network goes like in this case, and gov'ts and corps dont have a backup (ok so who really thuoght they would need one for BBs) then they are screwed. Too bad actually, but Palm might be able to pick up the pieces well, just not the 650, the 700w is best poised to take this one; and with Win Server 05, MS will gain $$$ from licensed upgrades, and Palm will gain $$$ from folks syncing Treos with exchange for BB-like functionality. I would also assume that MS has been hard at task waiting for if NTP will win out so that if they do they can quickly license the patent technology from them. Therefore someone else gets more $$$.

Gotta love how emailing pays
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    ntp is evil here.
    the US pattent office is a stoopid. But, at least they are looking into these patents. but that will take a while. see: http://news.com.com/2102-1047_3-5979...=st.util.print
    the times take: http://news.com.com/2102-1047_3-5981...=st.util.print

as some one in this thread asked, if they had a work around why not implement it already. apparently, from the TIMES, the fix wil fundementally change the way it works. hmmmm.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    So c|net is quoting the New York Times and leading with the headline, "Bye-Bye BlackBerry". What's everyone going to do if this worst-case scenario comes to pass? Will anyone here jump ship to, say, the Treo 650? This couldn't come at a worse time. The Blackberry platform is gaing real momentum with 3rd party developers and is evolving into far more than a corporate email solution. Non-corporate types are organizing their lives with Blackberries. I've been using one as a phone/email/IM device without any corporate exchange server and it's been awesome. But first and foremost, it's an email device. If this gets shut down I'm going to have to make some hard choices about an alternative. What is everyone else thinking?
    Thats a good question. All of the crackberry users will have a copr meltdown and implode. Seriously though this has been an interesting patent case and I recall one of RIM's positions was that their servers were in Canada therefore they were not violating Patent laws anyways. What good are patents if they are not enforced in the free world everywhere.

Maybe MS will finally get Push email running and out to all of the users and devices, maybe then they would have a reason to get it done.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast