Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They'll settle before it gets shutdown or soon thereafter.
    A fix may not be the proper alternative for RIM right now. It would do the following:

1) Implicitly (not legally, though) concede patent infringement, to a degree, while they are still fighting that particular case.

2) Cost RIM tens of millions in service, rollout, troubleshooting and general implementation costs. All this while they would still be fighting their ongoing suits -- which they are almost definitely going to lose money (lawyers fees, etc). Question is how much after all is said and done.

3) May lead to unexpected market backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    if they had a work around why not implement it already. apparently, from the TIMES, the fix wil fundementally change the way it works. hmmmm.
    RIM has already said they will implement a software workaround to keep their customers up and running in the event they are ruled against. They have said that they will not pay. They have not elaborated on what the workaround will be, however.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I imagine they want to avoid implementing that workaround though. Think about how much it would cost them to get it in place in terms of disseminating information, end-user support, etc. Nothing in the IT-world is as simple as RIM is making this out to be. Also, their stock is going to take a nasty hit if they have to go that route. While they may have a workaround, I think it would be a nightmare for them if they have to put it in place.
    whatever happens - it'll be yrs away

not like it'll be a surprise

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...g&refer=canada
    "I am Scorch
    ...and i approve this message!"
    TechProsSD - Computer Repair San Diego
    Although RIMM claims this work around is in place and ready for them to flip the switch, I wonder. If they had a seamless transition ready to go, why wouldn't they have used it already? They could simply squash the law suit and save a metric assload of money by doing so. If their service is shut down for even a day, imaging the chaos that will ensue! Look at the hoopla every time they have several hours of service outage in a major city. The outcry of a national outage lasting a day or more would be a real killer. Individual users like me, not affiliated with a company, can hoot and holler all we want. Some of us might drop our Blackberry service, but new subscribers will take up the slack. No big deal for RIMM. But if all of Goldman Sachs, for example, (one company with 30,000 employees) gets fed up or simply decides its not worth dealing with the uncertainty of the viability of the platform, then the number of users leaving will have an impact.
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    Seriously though this has been an interesting patent case and I recall one of RIM's positions was that their servers were in Canada therefore they were not violating Patent laws anyways. What good are patents if they are not enforced in the free world everywhere.

Maybe MS will finally get Push email running and out to all of the users and devices, maybe then they would have a reason to get it done.
    No kidding! RIM must be taking lessons from China!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    Although RIMM claims this work around is in place and ready for them to flip the switch, I wonder. If they had a seamless transition ready to go, why wouldn't they have used it already?
    Any network software change is risky, even simple ones. This one is likely not simple and RIM is being extremely sensible in not implementing it until their backs are absolutely up against the wall.

Speculation is also that there are other potential pitfalls in play, including a change in the user experience and possibly other patents which may apply to the modified code.

IMO, the only simple solution for RIM is to pay the license fee. That may not be their best solution, but is certainly the simplest and least risky.
    According to articles, they let a $450 Million license settlement slip through their fingers. So now they have to pay close to a billion if they lose??

What happened??? RIM's stubbornness? When you have that many people relying on you, wouldn't it be best to cut losses before there are even greater losses?? Are they really thinking they're innocent or are they just being stubborn dumbasses and refusing to admit what they did? A jury thought they did indeed infringe on NTP's patents. What led them to believe that?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Alert: Gartner just issued a warning to corporate clients that they should avoid using the BB for "mission-critical" purposes, evidently because the company has not issued details about their work-around plan.
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 12/07/2005 at 10:32 AM.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    here's a link. There's not any more info there, but someone else may have access to more : http://www.gartner.com/
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    According to articles, they let a $450 Million license settlement slip through their fingers. So now they have to pay close to a billion if they lose??

What happened??? RIM's stubbornness? When you have that many people relying on you, wouldn't it be best to cut losses before there are even greater losses?? Are they really thinking they're innocent or are they just being stubborn dumbasses and refusing to admit what they did? A jury thought they did indeed infringe on NTP's patents. What led them to believe that?
    According to some of what I've read, and I admit that I really haven't cared very much to read alot about this, it seems that the FTC is reconsidering some of the patents' validity. It was implied in one article that they are likely to revoke those patents. That may be related to RIM's seemingly silly move in this case. I think it was a stupid move by RIM as well, but it is too late now...we'll all see what happens. Lucky for me I don't rely on Blackberry service.

My question is, aside from the real-time aspect of the service, would blackberry users be completely unable to access their email if this shutdown occurs?
    Possible bad news for RIM if this is true.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...irectpush.mspx

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    This is nice, but for those without Exchange nothing will be different. In addition, it is dissapointing that it is only possible to have one Exchange email address on a device at any one time. I have unlimited SMS so I am fine with services like T-Mobile's email triggers that send a message to the device prompting it to poll for email on any account.

As a side note, I'm picking up a Blackberry 7105 tomorrow with free service for three months...I will be giving the phone to someone else but at least I'll get to play with the email function and see how I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    BB would be really stupid to let themselves get shut down!! As much as people claim to hate them, they still have tied up a lot of the mobile email market. Any shut down means many customers could leave for either Palm or WM devices, and never come back.
    IMO - This is a definate play for the Good's, Seven, Intellisync and Visto's of the world. Standards based approach babby. RIM is like an old wang word processor -- only good on wang and brick if you go another direction.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12