Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This looks like a good replacement for the treo. Its a little plainer then the treo but I bet it will work twice as good out of the box. Why get a cut rate WM device from palm.

http://www.motorola.com/mot/image/12/12477_MotImage.jpg

http://www.motorola.com/mot/doc/5/5692_MotDoc.pdf
    No Wi-Fi yet again!! Why do most smartphones object to Wi-Fi? So the carriers can charge for their own data service, I bet!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The Moto Q looks awesome to me. I like the form factor, the size, the WM5 OS, the concept. I'm even willing to sacrifice some things like Wifi support for the gains that it comes with. However, there is only 1 thing I don't like about it.

It does not have a touch screen.

It uses the 5-way as well as a scroll wheel like blackberry. It's intended to compete with the blackberry crowd.

As a result I'm leaning toward the Cingular HTC 8125 which is moreless a rebranded Qtek 9100 / i-mate k-jam. The 8125 should be out from any day now to January and includes Wifi, stereo speaker, WM5, Java support, and plenty more things.

Still I may wait intil I can test drive the Motorola Q before I make my decission. Perhaps they'll get it and make it work great without the touchscreen? This would make the Motorola Q a truly 1 handed device, unlike the 8125 which is definately 2 handed.
    Either way my next device will be WM5. Most likely this Motorola Q, HTC 8125, HP 6700 (Mid '06) or Treo 700w (mid '06??). Whatever it is it will have to be on GSM (I won't go to CDMA) and the current leader to me is the 8125.
    Have faith. The Palm OS successor to the 650 will be newly redesigned & be quite similar...
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    As a result I'm leaning toward the Cingular HTC 8125 which is moreless a rebranded Qtek 9100 / i-mate k-jam. The 8125 should be out from any day now to January and includes Wifi, stereo speaker, WM5, Java support, and plenty more things.
    Why is Cingular in Chicago selling the iPAQ 6515 if that one is coming out soon? Although for me, I think it will be too thick if it's the GSM version of the 6700 like people have said.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I just found a picture of the Cingular version. It doesn't look as thick and brickish as the 6700. Maybe I will get it afterall. Hopefully some time next year after the bugs have been worked out.

Because the 6515 just came out now, and the 6700 is not due to come out until mid 2006 (estimate.) So it's not really that soon, sorry if I implied that it was. Kind of like Palm selling the Treo 650 now even though they say they'll have a 700 some time in 2006.
    When I'm comparing upcoming devices I like to think about 6 months out because that's the period of time I have buyer remorse knowing something better is coming out when I just spent 500 bucks on 'the latest.'

THe 6515 is Win Mobile 2003, The 6700 will be a refreshed version of the 6515 with WM5. So that's why I won't get the 6515. What else will change on the ipaq with the 6700 besides WM5 is unkown. Will it have UMTS or not? As of now my expectatios are nothing new besides the operating system.

The 6515 is smaller than the Treo 650. It's thinner, a tad shorter if I remember right, but a tad wider.

The HTC 8125 body is the same size as the Treo if you don't count the antenna. But the 8125 does not have the antenna (as does the Treo.) The 8125 is almost identical in size to the Treo.

Comparing upcoming WM5 GSM only devices (not covering CDMA here
    HTC 8125 - Prosoes everything but GPS. Includes wifi, video codecs, java, stereo speakers, 320x240 screen, etc. Cons:Slide out keyboard means 2 handed operation. Also as thick as Treo.
    iPaq 6700 - Pros:built in GPS, Cons:Wifi not built-in (SD card expansion), 240x240 reslution screen (yuck.)
    Motorola Q - Pros:Form factor/size, 320x240 screen Cons: No touchscreen, no wifi, might be missing a few other bells and whistles? Besides no touchscreen it's otherwise looking like a great phone!
    Treo 700w - Pros:It's a Treo, tried/true form factor Cons:No Wifi, 240x240 screen ... But could it support UMTS? We don't know enough details on that yet.
    Last edited by taylorh; 11/20/2005 at 02:26 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    The 6715 has WiFi at the expense of the SD card slot. ALso, what video codecs are you talking about? My exosting 6515 plays any video format I want it to (with the exception of MAC) with existing WM10 and the associated codecs available for it and WIN Media Encoder. Why is everyone hung up on such a minor resolution issue? It's not like it's the difference between interlaced and progressive video. Almost everything about the 6715 is known now.
    Yeah I'll be waiting for the 8125 I think, although I'm not looking forward to the price . I bet it'll be $600 or $700 when it first comes out and probably $500 with contract. But actually I meant the PPC 6700 when I said the 8125 is the GSM version. I didn't even know iPAQ had a 6700.

Quote Originally Posted by netdavid2001
    The 6715 has WiFi at the expense of the SD card slot. ALso, what video codecs are you talking about? My exosting 6515 plays any video format I want it to (with the exception of MAC) with existing WM10 and the associated codecs available for it and WIN Media Encoder. Why is everyone hung up on such a minor resolution issue? It's not like it's the difference between interlaced and progressive video. Almost everything about the 6715 is known now.
    I didn't mean to imply that the others didn't do all of the video codecs, it was merely one of the many random examples included in the same sentence of "does just about everything." So sorry if I mislead you. I don't get hung up on such things. As long as it can play as much as the next guy and god forbid can even be expanded to support additional codecs, I don't really care. I just want to stream or play anything without having to say "oh darn, that's xxx and this one doesn't support that" (ex: WMA streaming on a Treo.)

True that the 6715 supports SD, that's why I say "wifi not built in" implying it can be added on just as you can on most of the devices. Wifi in an SD slot sucks in my opinion. I don't prefer to cary around an SD card for Wifi support all of the time. I have a hard enough time carying a hands free/headset. So having it built is just yet one more plus/minus thing to compare the device capabilities.

Hey, all I'm trying to do is list the pro/cons of each device to help us self-debate which one is the most worthwhile and future-proof device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I didn't even know iPAQ had a 6700.
    Yeah, I think it's 6715, I'm not sure of the exact model number. But it's basically the ipaq 6515 with WM5. Possibly other minor improvements? I haven't done much research on it. But if I can wait 6 months, it's one I'm certainly considering. I think GPS is pretty cool, but I don't know if I can get over the 240x240 resolution which is the reason I'm looking to something other than a Treo 700w. I haven't cast it out yet, but I'll have to see it for myself before I can decide for sure.
    Understood. My bad for for any misinterpreted bad tone. The 6715 only has a mini SD. HP sacrificed the SD slot for internal WiFi. Faster processor and WIN5 with better memory management also. Who knows if it will be any better. Just have to try and see. Which I will :-) I was dissapointed in teh Q (at least in it's prorotype form). Is there a thread on people's experience with WiFi? I guess I use my laptop to much instead of phone in areas with WiFi to care about it on my phone. Certainly at home it is not an issue. The 240x 240 works just fine for me on the GPS and other aps. It's a trade-off for not having a slide out keyboard and thicker profile on the HP.
    Oh, and BTW-I am glad I found this forum all those months ago. It led me to buy a T650 and I have learned a lot from many people here.
    Yep 320x240 seems the way to go! But is it really confirmed that the WM5 Treo will only be 240x240? I would rather take Treo over everything else(yes I'm still loyal to Treo)! What's the reasoning for that if true?

Although wi-fi inclusion works for me! And the 8125 will have Bluetooth 1.2, right?

Quote Originally Posted by netdavid2001
    Understood. My bad for for any misinterpreted bad tone. The 6715 only has a mini SD. HP sacrificed the SD slot for internal WiFi. Faster processor and WIN5 with better memory management also. Who knows if it will be any better. Just have to try and see. Which I will :-) I was dissapointed in teh Q (at least in it's prorotype form). Is there a thread on people's experience with WiFi? I guess I use my laptop to much instead of phone in areas with WiFi to care about it on my phone. Certainly at home it is not an issue. The 240x 240 works just fine for me on the GPS and other aps. It's a trade-off for not having a slide out keyboard and thicker profile on the HP.
    Who will carry the 6715? T-Mobile?

I am not sure at this time. One would think that there are pros and cons for Cingular being the first. The 6515 is out now on Cingular and new purchasers may ave buyers remorse when the 6715 comes out. They could put a spin on it and drop the price on the 6515 and spin the 6715 as the flagship. Who knows what lurks in the minds of the marketing geniuses...:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    It does not have a touch screen.

It uses the 5-way as well as a scroll wheel like blackberry. It's intended to compete with the blackberry crowd.
    Once you got used to it, you'd find it makes your device even more one-handable. I've found this with the 7100t and now feel I don't need a touch screen on my phone/PDA any more than I need one on my notebook.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I played with the K-Jam and thought it was pretty cool. Very small and packed a lot. One of the WIN5 features I like is shutting down a program just like in XP. Instead of stacking windows on top of each other in WIN MOB 2003 and "x-ing"out of them, the programs are shut down thereby relieveing memory. The screen did not look any brighter or visibly sharper than the T650 or HP6515. Perhaps on the T700 Palm has a large supply of glass from the T650 and simply wants to use up inventory. It is not uncommon. After looking at several phones, A friend of mine just got the i-Mate JasJar. They call it a mini-laptop phone instead of PDA phone. By it's size that is correct. Not designed for shirt pocket or cocktail purse. But it is the coolest I have yet seen. One bit of info-http://pocketpcdubai.com/i-mate_PPC/jasjar/reviewp1.html
    Good point. All a matter on how you train yourself and what level of comfort. I tend to so far like using a touch screen.
    It's not for me though. To big and heavy...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast