1.    #1  
    I just picked up an Audiovox 5600 to hold me over to the release of the Cingular HTC 8125, and I can't believe I'm HIGHLY IMPRESSED.

Killer problem up front - I HATE T9 for input (no touch screen or keyboard).

But it is all up hill from there:

>It is SO SMALL - makes the Treo 650 feel like a brick.
    >The screen is very easy to read.
    >Sync's flawlessly with Outlook (including wireless activesync of email over the internet with our MS Exchange Server SP2).
    >Did I mention email - two way heaven (well, except for that T9 thing)
    >Flawless bluetooth - I use my Scala 500 AND CAN VOICE DIAL!
    >Internet browsing is very good, despite only GPRS L10 (no EDGE)
    >Plenty of third party software support (but can only view, not edit, Office documents - given no keyboard that's no limitation).
    >Uses a regular USB/Mini-D sync/charge cable (same as your camera)

Sure, would I like to be able to edit docs, input info easier, etc - YES. Like most of you, don't I do most of that on my laptop - YES.

It's going to be a tough decision to go back to a full size PDA/Phone. The successor to the Audiovox (HTC 2125) is due out with the 8125. It adds QVGA screen (I know, it's small) and EDGE, as well as a better joystick, etc. With EDGE, I can bluetooth modem to my Thinkpad x40 for internet access, and have a real keyboard to boot; OR even use the Thinkoutside bluettoh folding keyboard with the phone itself (ouch - my eyes).

So...what say you...is it time to seriously consider downsizing?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I got rid of my Treo 600 for the Audiovox 5600. I have NOT regretted it once. Looking forward to the new HTC phone too.
    I don't think so. There are a lot of things that are easy enough to do on the Treo - like entering this post. To me it is nice to have something small and functional so that I don't have to drag the laptop out of the case and wait for it to boot up.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Yes. Look at all my current posts, LOL! I still love the Treo though. I just also want a Windows phone or device.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I am waiting for a good music phone for me to "downgrade" to. As long as I can use GPS, I actually don't mind giving up internet.

Constantly checking up online forums anywhere make me too much of a dork.
    I use my Audiovox with Yahoo Unlimited for music and it works great.
    I was seriously considering the 5600, but it's got the older software. I'm trying to move forward. I'm now testing a WM5 machine, no phone, just to see if it's really worth waiting until next year to get a WM5 smartphone(I really don't like the current WM5 models, I'm waiting for the sleeker models).

The more I think about it, the more I realize a QWERTY keyboard is what I really need in a true convergent device, so I can't get the 5600 and be truly happy. Although I respect that MANY others are completely happy.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 11/19/2005 at 11:37 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I'm not sure I really need a qwerty kb. I had an i730 that I hated and I went back to my old 600 - but if I could get push e-mail and wireless contact and calendar sync, I might prefer a smaller device. See, while I really need to see my e-mail, I don't really have to respond immediately - and if I do, I can find a computer.

Problem is, it doesn't look like VZW has wireless sync for non-pda devices. Do any of the other carriers have a wireless sync equivalent that you can use on a regular phone, allowing you to get e-mail, contacts and calendar pushed to the phone?

I would love a RAZR with push email.
    RAZR Moto phones have obsolete software by PDA standards, but they are cool!!

I sort of downgraded to a BB 7100t. I have superior mail functionality and stability in a very light format, but it has a relatively lame PDA and relatively limited qwerty keyboard. Although I'm likely to go back to a loaded integrated device -as long as I can still get built-in, highly-functional mail and SMS, I would definitely miss the smaller and lighter form factor. I have a very light, loaded, and super connected notebook in a Sony T350, but even a heavier communicator is still much more portable.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    I got rid of my Treo 600 for the Audiovox 5600. I have NOT regretted it once. Looking forward to the new HTC phone too.
    The Audiovox is an HTC phone...

I'm waiting for the HTC Tornado on T-mo with wifi built in!

Timmay

-------------------
    EDIT

You can find the Audiovox equivilent at simoncells.com
    http://www.simoncells.com/scripts/pr...idproduct=1584
    for $200

Only bad part is that it ships with German as the default lang so you have to figure out how to change it. If i had $200 i would pick up one while i'm waiting for the tornado... It has no 850 band so Cingular users better watch out!

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    If Palm doesn't make wi-fi work (natively or via SDIO) on their next PalmOS-based Treo, I plan on giving away my 650 to one of my nephews and totally getting out of the smartphone game. I'll downgrade to a RAZR and glue an iPod nano to the back of it and call it a day until Palm or someone else with a non-Windows solution gets it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    If Palm doesn't make wi-fi work (natively or via SDIO) on their next PalmOS-based Treo, I plan on giving away my 650 to one of my nephews and totally getting out of the smartphone game. I'll downgrade to a RAZR and glue an iPod nano to the back of it and call it a day until Palm or someone else with a non-Windows solution gets it right.
    Because the RAZR has WiFi? You're going to be disappointed.
    uhh... I know the RAZR does not have wi-fi... I meant that I would be getting out of the smartphone game period.
    I am keeping my Treo 650 and will use it with BB Connect until the Cingular 700W version comes out. I will then probably sell my 650 and go to the Windows version like Lady Treo.