1.    #1  
    Ok, so the new Blackberry may be off my list. Cingular can't even tell me when they'll be in stock in Chicago. Plus people don't seem to like them here. But how about the iPAQ 6515? I know there're Windows fans here . I didn't like the MPX 220, but the iPAQ 6515 looks like a better prospect! The only drawback, once again, no wi-fi(why is it so hard to get wi-fi?) and old system(2003 Mobile instead of 2005). It does have Edge though and it's a quad band. Otherwise I may just get the Audiovox SMT 5600 and save some money(no Edge and it's tri-band though).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have found CNET and Phone Scoop to have good reviews and side by side comparisons respectively. I used them both a lot when I was getting my Treo. I would consider these to be objective. Also on CNET, you can compare the editor's rating to the average user rating.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  3.    #3  
    I noticed quite a bit of reviews for WM5 Treo on CNET(I like them too). How's that possible? I know they may give out samples to a select few, but there are 33 reviews when it hasn't even been released officially yet. I don't think some of them even saw the machine, just are commenting. CNET is good but sometimes misleading.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The only problem I have with the IPaq is the older OS. It would be like buying a Windows 2000 computer two months after XP was released.
  5.    #5  
    That's why I'm wary of it. I don't like to go backwards. I got a cheap WM5 Wi-Fi PPC just to see if the system really is any better though. I don't expect hot WM5 smartphones(to me) until maybe the beginning or middle of next year, but I'm impatient to test out the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I noticed quite a bit of reviews for WM5 Treo on CNET(I like them too). How's that possible? I know they may give out samples to a select few, but there are 33 reviews when it hasn't even been released officially yet. I don't think some of them even saw the machine, just are commenting. CNET is good but sometimes misleading.
    The iPaq 65xx devices have already been released overseas for some time now - that could be why there are several reviews already.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I had one. I took it back. 650 is better all round. thats all there is to say.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    The iPaq 65xx devices have already been released overseas for some time now - that could be why there are several reviews already.
    I meant the WM5 Treo. The 6515 has ONE review on CNET!

LT, I'm not sure what you're interested in now, but on your original question, here's one review of the 6515: http://www.pocketpccity.com/articles...w-HP-iPAQ.html

I'm interested in this iPAQ format, but I'm waiting patiently for the 6715 which reportedly will have WM5 and wi-fi. I've also read that the 6515 probably will not be upgradable to WM5.

IMHO, there's no such thing as an "objective" review. It's a matter of sorting through all the more informed subjectivity and then grabbing a device that is optimal for you, for now.

If WM5 is what you're anxious for, here's your lead: http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=8280

Good luck and enjoy your next selection.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    PART ONE

Unlike some who like to simply bash other products and the people who use them or those that have not had usage of a competing product, I can give an objective review. I liked my Treo 650 until the Cingular update made it worse. Up till then it was the best PDA/PhoneI had used (and the first). I still think it is an excellent choice for those that like it's form factor, OS and software. Most of all the support that comes with it. After using the T650 for several months adn going through the nightmare update, the touch screen failed on the first day of a 10 day business trip. Cingular could not guarantee a replacement within 24 hours so I went and bought a "Go" phone. 59 bucks and .10/min nationwide. It makes a GREAT backup. SO onto the topic of this post-

A good friend (and client) of mine who owns a high-end wireless specialty company brought me a surprise in Sept. while on this trip-a Euro spec 6515. He gave it to me to use! I liked it a lot and in some ways for me it was superior to the T650. Let me explain.

1. I live in a Windows world so I like the fact that the sync was smoother and for me more effective. It was, in essence another NAS drive that I could move files back and forth from.
    2. I like WM 10 on the phone. With a 2gb SD I can have lots of files for demo and just plain fun. Add to that the mini-sd and you have a ton of external memory.Synching with WM on my laptop is simple.
    3. Being able to run native Win aps and download and view attachments is nice. I can even do expense reports in Excel and easily email them.
    4. My IT admin does not have to do anything special to my company network for email. I get near instant email through Exchange Server.
    5. The bluetooth connectivity (using the Bluespoon AX) is much louder and the range is much better.
    It is a bit wider so the keys are easier to navigate. The downside is that they are not as bright as the T650. I am used to it though. It is thin enough to be comfortable in a shirt pocket.
    6. The speaker phone is loud enough to be used in the car.
    PART 2

8. I happen to like the built-in GPS and use it on trips very frequently. I have (almost) stopped using Yahoo maps and sending them to my phone.
    9. I like the protective semi-opaque plastic screen that covers the touchscreen.
    10. I like being able to multi-task. Talking on the speakerphone or Bluetooth and writing notes on the touchscreen.
    11. The OS-WIN 2003 has been stable. Yes, it is not WIN5 and the latest greatest but it works and does not have the issues that ANY new OS has when introduced.
    PART 3

The bad-

1. The camera sucks. Most people are so wrapped up in numbers. The faster processor (how much can your FSB handle?) the more horsepower (what’s the torque figure?), the more amplifier wattage (how much current can it deliver?) more mega-pixels (what is the optical resolution?), etc. One number means nothing. Granted, I was impressed by the spec but in reality it is poor in low light and mediocre at best in good light. I will say that the little flashlight built in is kind of cool. While useless for photos it makes for good sand crab hunting on the beach 
    2. No WiFi. While not a big deal for me, it is for others. I tend to think I don’t need WiFi for phone usage as I have my laptop with me when I do. I certainly would like to hear what others say on this. I am curious to see the performance since I just got a fiber connection to my house. Forget that old-fashioned slow DSL or cable modem technology; I have a 15Mb pipe now. 
    3. I have read reports that the processor is “slow”. I guess this is a relative term. It seems to be “fast” enough for me. Granted phones like the JasJar, K-Jam, Q all have faster processors and WIN5. As far as my usage the 6515 (currently) is fast enough. BTW-I have played with all of the above in prototype fashion and they are very cool and very different.
    4. The GPS requires you to download maps. There is not enough operating memory for dynamic map updating like you would have in a “regular” GPS system like you might find in a rental car or aftermarket. This can be a little annoying in large cities like Los Angeles. When driving from Newport Beach to Santa Monica you have to change maps. The GPS locks on quickly though.
    5. The onboard memory management is poor. Windows takes up most of it. I moved most things to the SD card so I don’t really have a problem. Keep in mind my version is not running the Cingular branded firmware. Who knows if that is better or worse.
    6. The T650 has outstanding navigation. Blackberry users will say theirs is superior (I got to play with the latest prototype and was not impressed). I guess it is what you learn and get used to. I tend to type with two thumbs and navigate different ways to open programs. I have no issues with the navigation of the 6515.
    7. A newer model is on the horizon. Gee, what a surprise-technology improving. There will always be a newer, better model. Wait for it forever and you will never have anything. The 6715 will have WiFi (at the expense of the SD card slot) and run WIN5. The processor will be improved as will the memory management. Is it worth the wait? Do you need something now? Only you can answer.
    8. Screen resolution has been mentioned. 240x240. Internet browsing you have to use the side-side and up-down scrolling to view sections of the page. Not totally annoying but if not available the pages would be to small to use or view. The additional 80x80 pixels of the T650 (IMHO) is not a totally compelling reason as a deciding factor. It is not like the difference in 480i and 1080p video. Phones that have a wider aspect ratio (longer length when viewed straight on) seem superior for web surfing and video.
    PART 4

9. Battery life on the T650 is vastly superior. Whether that is due to a poor battery design on the 6515 or that the phone programs and aps suck up the battery, I do not know. GPS is the worst offender. Bluetooth is next. Seemingly watching a video does not take a lot of battery power. I have never been in a situation where the internal battery was used. Specs claim that this internal battery will last 15 mins after the main battery expires. After that you have 72 hours to recharge before data loss. I have a car charger and the phone can also use USB for charging so it has yet to be an issue.

That is all I can think of for now. The Treo set the standard for this product category. Everyone that sees my phone thinks it is a Treo. At least the explanation is a good ice breaker. I liked the T650 but I have found that I like a Windows phone better. Seeing the T700 prototype was interesting but not compelling. There are features that still need to be added to it. None are perfect. Only a few come close. I live in a technology world and see this stuff all the time. My home is completely networked with lights, temperature, security, sprinklers, video, audio, entertainment all communicating to each other. My phone will soon be talking to them all! I love this stuff and enjoy it as well as use it every day. So take this for what it’s worth. It’s only my experience and my opinion.

This is a very helpful review, netdavid2001; thanks for taking the time to write this up!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Ok, so the new Blackberry may be off my list. Cingular can't even tell me when they'll be in stock in Chicago. Plus people don't seem to like them here. But how about the iPAQ 6515? I know there're Windows fans here . I didn't like the MPX 220, but the iPAQ 6515 looks like a better prospect! The only drawback, once again, no wi-fi(why is it so hard to get wi-fi?) and old system(2003 Mobile instead of 2005). It does have Edge though and it's a quad band. Otherwise I may just get the Audiovox SMT 5600 and save some money(no Edge and it's tri-band though).
    I have also been thinking about picking up a 6515 just to give it a test drive...though I'm sure it wouldn't replace my Qtek. I actually used one for a few minutes and the size is really less than I expected. It is quite thin and manages to slip into my pocket more easily than my 9100. Everything just as it does on every other WM 2003 SE device and I cannot think of any reason to complain. However, if you do not like the square screen you will be annoyed, since some programs will not work. I don't know of any, but some people have complained so I guess it is the case. If you are worried about having the "old" OS, STOP WORRYING! The benefits to the new OS are not really as significant as people have made them out to be. I am actually kind of annoyed at all of the excess hype WM 5 has gotten. It is more of a change than an improvement. Its battery life will NOT measure up to that of the Treo, but what does?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by netdavid2001
    That is all I can think of for now. The Treo set the standard for this product category. Everyone that sees my phone thinks it is a Treo. At least the explanation is a good ice breaker. I liked the T650 but I have found that I like a Windows phone better. Seeing the T700 prototype was interesting but not compelling. There are features that still need to be added to it. None are perfect. Only a few come close. I live in a technology world and see this stuff all the time. My home is completely networked with lights, temperature, security, sprinklers, video, audio, entertainment all communicating to each other. My phone will soon be talking to them all! I love this stuff and enjoy it as well as use it every day. So take this for what it’s worth. It’s only my experience and my opinion.

Thanks for the review!! That was indeed objective!

I have discovered wi-fi is a must have for me(my excuse not to lug around a laptop) so I may wait for the 6715 or get the 8125.

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    If you are worried about having the "old" OS, STOP WORRYING! The benefits to the new OS are not really as significant as people have made them out to be. I am actually kind of annoyed at all of the excess hype WM 5 has gotten. It is more of a change than an improvement. Its battery life will NOT measure up to that of the Treo, but what does?
    So far WM5 is OK, not the greatest IMO. But I believe in moving forward. 2006 will be here soon, it was time to retool the 2003. They need to keep tweaking though.

Your welcome LT! I wonder if anything new and interesting will be shown at CES this year? I'm sure there will be ongoing improvements to WIN5. It has a way to go but there are some significant improvements over 2003. One thing I forgot to mention is the conference calls on the 6515 are incredibly clear. I use that feature quite a lot. Maybe I should buy a WiFi card for it and see if that is indeed a feature I need? I am in a lot of airports and cities on the West Coast with large WiFi networks. Can WiFi connectivity be used to access my home computer ala Remote PC or Terminal Services?
    Agreed on all points Silver. Win2003 is stable but the people in Redmond are constantly wanting to improve (sell more). I wonder if it is inherent in Windows phones that the battery life is not as good (comparatively speaking). Just like with faster laptop processors, they consume more energy and create more heat. The 6515 sure seems to charge fast though.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I can try and give my most unbiased opinion that I could. I have had both the treo 650 and the HP 6515, I also for a while had the HP 6315 and the Siemens SX66. I changed from my Treo was as much as I loved the hardware of the device, the feel and the one handed operation, the software just left me so...... wanting. All in all the important stuff that I did with my Treo, like email and IM and text were fine, the other things that I wanted to do, like streaming audio and video and web browsing, those were important things that the Treo didn't handle all that well. Most of my gripes on way or the other are going to be software related, a Windows Treo would be a dream as long as they don't sacrifice something to gain something else.

I have heard it mentioned about the wifi being absent in the 6515, but as far as being useble it still is very much so. I enjoyed the wifi on the Siemens and the other HP, but one thing that I noticed I couldn't leave the wifi on all day cause by the end of the day the device was useless cause the battery was dead. I leave my internet connected all the time with my 6515 and I don't really have any battery issues, I have had car chargers for all the phones that I use. The wifi is nice and a neat extra feature but it wasn't important, and the nicest thing about windows mobile is that you can get a wifi card and plug it in and there you have it, wifi, with the Treo that wasn't possible.

The other big thing that most people seem to comment on is the OS. I have been using '03 for a while now and I have even used '02 and before that straight old school ce. For the most part, if the device does want you want and its stable, then I don't really see why you feel the need for WM05. I think Dave's Ipaq talked about this in one of their podcasts and they for the most part what I remember agreed that though WM05 is nice, that the 6515 is stable and it does what it does well so there was no real need for WM05. Now me I am a gadget nut and I would love to have WM05 on here, but the more I use my device the more that I find its great and I wouldn't change it for anything. I am real picky about what I do with my devices, with my Siemens I installed as much junk on is as I could because the device had so much memory, this was more to see what would happen. That really isn't OS related though. My only real windows mobile gripe is memory management, I never liked they way that they managed memory but there isn't anything I can do about that.

All in all I still think that it comes down to what you do and what you expect from your device. I want my iPaq to surf the net, read ebooks, check a particular email account, some light gaming to pass the time when I am bored. I use the GPS so the 6515 is the only device for me at the time, I also use it in the car to listen to podcasts and to stream XM so I have to have an edge device. I really think though that the 650 and the 6515 have some great strengths and some great weaknesses. I know I didn't really talk about everything like the screen size and physical size of the unit, I just think that if you really want what the device does, you will need to live with the size sometimes. I just evaluated what was more important and took it from there. You should really do the same.