Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.blackberry.com/products/b...rry8700c.shtml

It looks usable to me. Unless the processor turns out to be really slow or something. Also, no Wi-Fi.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It doesn't look like they broke much new ground. What's the real draw?

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Companies love them Lemmings..
    It's EDGE and has full qwerty keyboard and speakerphone. Looks like they combined the 7100 & 7290.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Companies love them Lemmings..
    I work by myself. I was only interested because of the email and web browser. It looks like a Blackberry improvement. So you think I should forget it? I was going to do a 1 week trial. It won't be out anyway until 2006. They also want to add Blackberry Connect to the 650 next year, maybe I'll just wait for that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    It will have edge and a better screen, but you are still going to be limited by the BB software, so far as the web browser and such. I think a 650 or a dare I say a PPC with Blackberry connect is a better device. By far......
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I work by myself. I was only interested because of the email and web browser. It looks like a Blackberry improvement. So you think I should forget it? I was going to do a 1 week trial. It won't be out anyway until 2006. They also want to add Blackberry Connect to the 650 next year, maybe I'll just wait for that.

The 8700c will be out on Cingular this Monday according to the site and my purchasing person at work who handles our phones. I am thinking about giving one a test drive. I think BB Connect on the Treo would be great but I am not one of the Treo super users that is watching movies and listening to MP3's on my 650. I use it for mail, calendar, contacts, tasks, memos and Internet. Doc's to go and the touch screen ease of use is what has kept me using my 650. However, I need a better e-mail solution then active sync that came bundled with the 650 since it is buggy...works but buggy.

A 700W would be nice but I am not going to Verizon and the Cingular version will be out God knows when.
    I'm really hoping it does come out Monday - that will take the spotlight off the HTC 8125/2125 launch so maybe they'll stealth those next week as well and I'll be able to get one before they sell out of the limited quantity of HTC's.

All kidding aside, I can't for the life of me see a single advantage of the Crackberry over the HTC 8125 (Wizard).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I'm really hoping it does come out Monday - that will take the spotlight off the HTC 8125/2125 launch so maybe they'll stealth those next week as well and I'll be able to get one before they sell out of the limited quantity of HTC's.

All kidding aside, I can't for the life of me see a single advantage of the Crackberry over the HTC 8125 (Wizard).
    Is the HTC 8125 the iPAQ 6515 in the US? Or something else?

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Lady T. the 8125 is the HTC Wizard/Sprint PPC 6700 in Cingular/GSM form. It is essentially the same, but with a different (and a bit slower by user accounts) processor and no antenna. Compared to the iPaq, it has a few more features and obviously a different form factor. It lacks the GPS of the iPaq.

If you work for yourself, why do you want a Blackberry for e-mail? It is a LOT more expensive (at least if you want the benefits) as you end up paying for a hosted service to run the Enterprise Connect software and more to the carrier for, well, who knows. Are you just looking for push e-mail? If so, Chatter is certainly just as good for a solo worker. Also, I've used prior blackberry web browsers and (believe it or not) they were inferior even to Blazer. Anyway, for me, I wouldn't put any money into a blackberry. They have a place in the enterprise, but IMO they're not for individuals.
    FWIW, I stopped at a Cingular shop a couple of hours ago in a Detroit suburb and the person there said they have no word yet on the arrival of the 8700C. Then again, this area doesn't seem to get the first issues of any device.

The 8700C is a pretty significant advance for BB. I posted a link to a review here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=99158

Also, Walter Mossberg experimented taking the 8700C on a Europe vacation instead of his laptop. He calls the 8700 "the best BlackBerry yet" and reports on his experiment here: http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/biz/mossberg.htm

It's going to be a fun new year for us pack-it-all-in-one-device types! I'm most interested in this 8700C, plus the iPAQ 6715, and the Nokias 9300i and E61. The 6715 and 9300i will have wi-fi; I'm not sure about the E61 and even less sure it'll to make it to the states.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Is the HTC 8125 the iPAQ 6515 in the US? Or something else?
    The HTC 8125 is the Cingular version of the HTC Wizard. The PPC 6700 is the Sprint version of the HTC Apache, and the two are very close cousins. True, the 8125 has a slower TI 200mhz processor (6700 is 412mhz Xscale), but the TI is a dual core processor (thus can handle two processes in the same clock cycle) which for everything but highly processor intensive chores (think Skype, or nuclear reactor monitoring ) is actually better.

The HP 6515 is also a Sprint device, but it's 240x240 and bigger than either of the other two. It does offer EVDO, which is light years better than Vision or EDGE

However, my money's still on the 8125 since the keyboard appears to be much better than anything out there (BB, Treo, or HP) because it's bigger and landscape, plus it comes with WiFi. EVDO does even the playing field, but I just don't like the width and keyboard on the 6515 (not to mention it's last season's Windows Mobile 2003 SE instead of WM5).

One last point: since HTC made the Audiovox SMT5600 smartphone I'm using now (between the Treo 650 and teh HTC 8125), I'm banking on their CELL PHONE quality. Not ONE PERSON has asked "What did you say?" and if you've used a Treo for even 1 day, you've had someone ask you to repeat yourself, or you've asked them to "say that again." As a PDA, the Treo is superior to anything out there currently, but I'll never go back to a phone of ANY kind without first quality cell phone service.

So many phones, so few hands.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 11/19/2005 at 09:56 AM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  13.    #13  
    I saw the Sprint version, and it was too thick for me. Maybe I'll wait until next year for the newer WM5 models.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 11/19/2005 at 05:15 PM.

I wouldn't buy ANY Crackberry until RIM's legal issues are resolved. You could end up with an expensive paperweight:

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...A90994DD404482

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102101989.html
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  15.    #15  
    I know they had legal issues. I think I'll just get a WM5 phone next year. WM5 is probably more powerful anyway. Although it does tend to be a little slow(my test iPAQ anyway).

aren't you guys turned off by the lack of touchscreen capabilities on the Blackberry?

or it doesn't make a difference?
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
  17.    #17  
    I have decided against BB. Went to WM5 temporarily. Yes, the device has a touch screen. But for the BB diehards, this is the best model yet. Although that legal problem has popped up again.

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Which WM5 device are you using?
  19.    #19  
    Not a phone, just a plain PDA. The HP iPAQ rx1955. I actually like it, even though WM5 seems to be a learning curve. What's the version on the phones? I have a full PPC version. WM5 PPC Premium.

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I think that the only difference beween the normal PPC version and phone version is the addition of the phone application and the integration of it with other PIM apps., mainly contacts. Mine says 5.1.70. I don't know if that is the latest so far, or if it differs among devices, but I think that is the same as others with this device (Qtek 9100).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast