Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Cingular update fixed my Activesync issues but I am going to give the 8700 a test drive anyway. Just had my purchasing department order one and it will be here tomorrow.....just in time for the BB network to be shut down!
  2.    #22  
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have been using a 8700c this week and so far I am very happy with it. We run both a BES and GoodLink server so I have experience with both solutions. My observations so far...

Pro's (over Treo)

Lighter and thinner
    More stable (even with some 3rd party BB apps installed)
    Speaker phone is much better
    Bluetooth works with my RRover's built-in Bluetooth (Treo does not)
    Bluetooth works better with my Motorola HS850 and my Plantronics 510 (better sound and all features work without issues (connect, disconnect, etc))
    Battery life seems better so far
    3rd party add-in for spell checking emails (bbSpell...great app)
    Keyboard is better for typing (for me at least)
    Browser is faster and works better with HTML sites

Lastly, and this is for all BlackBerry's...the contacts are fully integrated with all the phone functions. This is not an issue for a standard Treo user, but if you use GoodLink you know that you can't do things like create a new contact from call history, send a SMS easily, assign a specific ringtone to a contact, etc. I like GoodLink, but it takes away from some of the reasons you want an integrated voice/data device. I know there is a way to use both GoodLink and the Palm contact db, but it seems like a bad workaround.

CTDW
    I'm assuming your Treo was also on Cingular service? How is the voice service on the 8700 as compared to the Treo?

Quote Originally Posted by ctdw
    I have been using a 8700c this week and so far I am very happy with it. We run both a BES and GoodLink server so I have experience with both solutions. My observations so far...

Pro's (over Treo)

Lighter and thinner
    More stable (even with some 3rd party BB apps installed)
    Speaker phone is much better
    Bluetooth works with my RRover's built-in Bluetooth (Treo does not)
    Bluetooth works better with my Motorola HS850 and my Plantronics 510 (better sound and all features work without issues (connect, disconnect, etc))
    Battery life seems better so far
    3rd party add-in for spell checking emails (bbSpell...great app)
    Keyboard is better for typing (for me at least)
    Browser is faster and works better with HTML sites

Lastly, and this is for all BlackBerry's...the contacts are fully integrated with all the phone functions. This is not an issue for a standard Treo user, but if you use GoodLink you know that you can't do things like create a new contact from call history, send a SMS easily, assign a specific ringtone to a contact, etc. I like GoodLink, but it takes away from some of the reasons you want an integrated voice/data device. I know there is a way to use both GoodLink and the Palm contact db, but it seems like a bad workaround.

CTDW
    Yes, I have owned and used a 650 on both Cingular and Verizon. I think the voice quality on the 8700 is better then the 650 (Cingular or Verizon). I have had no problems with people understanding me (I did on the 650) or making me repeat things. On the listening side, the audio is clear (no popping noises like my 650). The 8700 seems to be much better from a voice perspective then other BlackBerry's as well (compared to a 7100 and 7290).

CTDW
    I also have been using an 8700c for the last two days. I really like it so far. The only thing the Treo has on it is the browser. However, I can surf HTML pages MUCH better then the 7100g POS I had a few months back. I love my Treo 650 but may keep this 8700. The screen resolution is fantastic and the auto light sensing is great. I have no problem in full sunlight seeing the screen. Bluetooth is head and shoulders above the Treo and the voice quality is much better. Overall speed of the device is great as well.

However, it is hard getting use to no touch screen and I have to say for me text editing, copying and pasting for is easier on the Treo. I now know how to do it on the BB so like anyting the more I do it the easier it will become. All and all it is a great phone/PDA.
    8700c Update

Well I used the phone for about 4 days and I have to say I really liked it. of all the BB's I have had this is by far the best. However, it is no Treo 650. If Blackberry ?Connect was not going to be delivered in 1Q06 ( according to my Cingular rep ) then I would probably kep the 8700. However, a Treo 650 with BB connect is a "true" BB killer in my opinion. Sooooo I have decided to be patient and wait for BB connect and am sending the 8700 back to Cingular.

Overall I had no problem with the 8700 and have no complaints about it. The only issue I had was giving up the touch screen, 3rd party apps and the BB browser ( even the HTML one ) is no where near that of the Treo
    Been on a treo since the 300. Writing this on the 8700. Wow you don't realize how buggy the treo is until you use something that actaully works. The ONLY thing that works great on the treo is chatter email. However, with the bb I can add a contact, task, appt., and email and it updates my desktop in less than a second. Screen auto adjusts to the light. Go in to a dark room and the keyboard will light and the screen dim. I can set up groups to email. Now the bb can be used as a wireless modem. Battery life is great. Can go more than a day without a charge, but the treo has me trained to charge everyday. When I get a call I can answer the call and go back to my browser and pick up where I left off. Has edge. And guess what it actually says edge when you have it. No more testing your speed to see how fast your connection is.

What sucks is cingular charges you 50 bucks for a connection with no text messages. I tried to use my media works but couldn't.

I have an ipod and a nice digital camera so I did not use the camera or pocket tunes much. Will miss dir asst. Did download a third party app that integrates email, missed calls, appts, tasks, weather.and stocks on the bb. Works great with no reboots.

The more I use the more I like it. The biggest thing is reliability. The phone works. The speaker phone works. Hell everything works time and time again. When did I fall asleep and accept all the design flaws of th treo. The BB as awaken me from my slumber.
    Update.....I am temporairly keeping my 8700 and re-activated it since I am having to send my Treo back for what is now the 8th warranty replacement. "Buggy" is an understatement. I have to say the 8700 is stable and does the job. I have until the firat week of January to decide if I am going to keep it. If I go back to my Treo I know for sure I will be dumping it once the 700w comes out for Cingular.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Well,

I too bought an 8700c on Cingular, I will say as the others have this device just plain works! I have had to replace my treo once and it needs another replacement now because any one that calls me goes right to the voicemail as well as the 6 soft resets a day, I guess its XBM for me again.

Here are some points I find I like about the 8700c:

- Great voice quality, people say it sounds like I am on a landline and the noise cancelation is good, I can here people very well. The volume is exceptional, I always hated talkin on my 650 because I had to press the phone hard to my ear to actually be able to hear what any one was saying, this phone has plenty of voume to go around, and it does not hiss nor pop.

- Speaker phone is probably the best I have ever heard including beating any nextel phone out, its super loud and clean as could be.

- Email, I am now on the BES, I use the BWS which is the hosted cingular solution and I gotta say, it works damn well, I have 7 email accounts that added flawlessly with out me having to add smtp and imap info, just add the email addy and password and it works! What I have done to eliminate polling is have my most important accounts that I need the emails instantly forward all emails to my BWS email address and this acts as if you were on the BES, instant emails. I have the device set up to leave email on my server and allow the handheld to permantly delete emails from the BWS, this system absolutly works incredibly well, I cant get over how good it is.

- Tasks, Memos & conacts: what more can I say, its easy to navigate to, has a very outlook feel to it, works perfectly and syncs up with no problems. Can set alarms for tasks and just about most anything else that can be done in a Treo for the average user.

- BT: this is a BIG one, personally I always hated BT on the 650, it never worked well for me and I could not take advantage of the BT in my BMW X5 with assist, it would cause the 650 to go into a constant never ending loop of resets anytime it was paired up to my car, I would have to reset the device and remove the pairing to get functionality back.

With the 8700c it paired flawlessly, transfers the entire contacts, allows dialing from the car aswell as phone, also allows full functionality of the steering wheele controls and it sounds clean. Turning BT on and off on the 8700c is a snap since once you create a pairing it adds a BT icon to your main list of apps, click the wheen on the icon and its on, click again its off, pretty simple.

- The screen: excellent resolution, nice and wide, colors look great, photos look especially great and the spoken feature of the auto backligting is super smart, go into sunlight and it auto adjusts the screen so you can see it easilly, I was testing this today as it was sunny and I live in Florida, I could actually see everything perfectly, unlike the 650.

- Formfactor: much better than any previous full qwert BB, its a combo of the 7100 and the latest full sized (sorry dont know the numbers), holding it up to my treo its slightly shorter than the treo (excluding the stub antena) and slightly wider. its thinner and much lighter, a nice mix, still a bit big, but not as bas as previous version, I have to have a qwert so its the trade off.

- Stability: been playing around with it like mad, not a single hiccup, need I say more.

- Side note: MSN hotmail works out of the box, I dont use hotmail aside for when sites that I dont want to give my address to, but for those that use it, it works perfectly right out of the box.

Now for some cons:

Build quality: not even close to that of the 650, the screen is like some sort of plastic and is extremely shiny, just waiting to get scratched up, protective film is a must have or it will be destroyed in no time. On the sides in a dark room when the backlight is on you can see light coming in from small openings in areas, this is more than likely going to allow dust to get in, could be a future issue, but people are already making a stink of it, so I am sure RIM will fix it.

The treo feels solid, like a brick, the 8700c feels nice, but it has this plastic feel where it just doesnt have that solid treo build, could just be a weight change issue, but I always felt the treo was tank.

The case that is included from rim is junk, its a crummy plastic swivel clip with asmall magnet for sleep mode (where the unit uses no lights to check mail and so forth), you will definetely need a 3rd part case, also the screen faces inside of this plastic case with looks like it will scratch the screen if presure is applied with movement.

Browsers: There are 2, a cingular java based broswer and the BB html broswer, the treo has a slight edge here with browser functionality, using the blazer feels more like a windows based browser where the BB does not, but its tie in my book since the BB browsers seem to me to feel faster than Blazer on EDGE.

Aside from that, there is not much negative about this device I have found yet in my short time of using it. I willl say, I do not considermyself a power user with my Treo, I dont watch movies, play MP3s, or use the camera (its crap anyways), I do use the tasks, callendar, memos and email with light browsing, so I am not missing anything on the BB end, it does everything I need that I used my treo for with out giving me problems with resets and all that is coupled with the 650.

Right now I am on my 30 day trial so we will see, but if things go well, I am going to be ebaying my 650 with all the extras I have bought from palm along with it.

My "primary" need with a phone like this is email, and I hate to say it but right now, no one does it as good as RIM.

If any one has any questions let me know. But so far I have enjoyed my time with the device.

Cheers!
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by calvins
    What sucks is cingular charges you 50 bucks for a connection with no text messages. I tried to use my media works but couldn't.
    Is that $50 to get and send your email? If it is, that sucks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    45.00 a month for unlimited data, versus the Treo unlimited which is 39.99, so its 5 dollars more. They also offer a cut version that has a limited amount of data per month at I think around 29.99 a month.

5 dollars more for my data is no worry, the good news is I actually get my emails now instead of download errors lol. Gotta spend more time with the device before I ebay my 650 though, but so far its workin like a charm =)

Cheers!
  13.    #33  
    I guess that's a bargain for those never at the office. But this is one reason I like wi-fi. Carriers and their data costs, sheesh! The only reasonable one is Sprint. Maybe T-mobile. But $45/month + taxes, on top of your calling plan which is another $50(or more)/month + taxes= $1200+ per year. You can write this off on your taxes right? LOL! Or your employer pays the bill?

I knew a guy who was self-employed who paid $200+ a month because he was never at an office on a computer. He was like a mobile office. Years when business is slow are when you notice how much you spend on mobile, if you're self-employed.

i've owned them all (literally: old/new blackberries, treo 600, 650, currently on a Verizon 6601 wm3 w/ goodlink). i was able to spend some time with the new blackberry today, i was quite excited when i saw it in my colleague's hands. i echo all of your (sfla_tc) sentiments, your review is spot-on. some observations/feelings:

-this blackberry makes all others obsolete (except the 7100 series).
    -was hoping for it to be even smaller. it is more thin than the treo but a touch wider. i really like the fact that it doesn't have a stub antenna (i carry my pda-phones in pocket). the weight difference is also noticeable (lighter in hand)
    -yes, feels less solid but i'd rather have the benefit of less weight
    -resolution is fantastic, colors are vivid
    -maybe the best advancement: the browser coupled with EDGE (i currently have EVDO on verizon so no real gain) versus Blackberries of old. a blackberry browser that works!! finally.
    -voice/speaker loud and clear

the only thing i didn't look/ask for was the camera. i guess that's easy to look up on their website. if it didn't have a camera i'd simply buy a flip-phone that did, but in all honesty i'd love to be able to carry only one device.

bottom line? i still think the device is too big to consider it my only device. so, will it be a treo 700 or the new blackberry? i just don't know. i love the touchscreen aspect of my device and i truly love the windows system. but the alure of not having to worry so much about my 6601's battery life and portability make this pda/phone a viable option. so for me it will come down to ease of use, battery life, time tested device vs. the new t700w. one thing i know is that my 6601 is on the outs.
    Nice review, sfla_tc. I have a 7100t (one of Oprah's 2005 Favorite Things, I just learned) and that also has a plastic screen. It seemed as it might be a problem, but I've learned to appreciate that its part of the weight advantage and that it won't crack and ruin the device. I've dropped it on concrete a couple of times and it just has a couple of minor (to me) niks on the bottom edge. It does scratch fairly easily, but It doesn't bother me a bit. This is just a tool for me; I don't abuse it, but it's tossed in my front pants pocket or on my desk all day and I've never used a case or a screen protector. Every month or two I use a cheap rubbing compound on it and it comes out very nice, if not like-new.

I'm hoping T-Mobile picks it up because $45 is a 125% increase for me -and on top of higher voice rates as well.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Well I am dumping the 8700C and have re-activated my Treo. In the end I am going to wait for BB Connect. I do not like the lack of a touch screen and the Bluetooth, even though it picks up fast, was crackling on my end and not clear. I tried a second 8700c and had the same problem. I have a M3000 and tested it on the Treo and it was perfect. Also tested a HBH 662 and perfect on the Treo and cruddy on the 8700c. Also, I did not like how some e-mails did not reconcile on my desk top and handheld. I found if I moved an e-mail to a folder in Outlook it did not go away in my BB. However, if I did the same action on my Treo using Activesync the e-mail is removed from my Treo.
    The 8700c was great and I really liked it and feel it is by far the best BB RIM has delivered. I am just a Palm OS and Treo person through and through. However, I am going to give the 700w a test drive once it is out on Cingular.
    [QUOTE=calvins]Will miss dir asst. Did download a third party app that integrates email, missed calls, appts, tasks, weather.and stocks on the bb. Works great with no reboots. QUOTE]

Here is a great 411 app for the BlackBerry...

http://www.thebogles.com/Berry411.htm
    Look's big - and Crackberrys are being shut down cause the judge is getting frustrated the companies can't just work things out together.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlee6
    Look's big - and Crackberrys are being shut down cause the judge is getting frustrated the companies can't just work things out together.
    Looks like RIM has a plan in the event of a shut down
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11252054/
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12