Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 2 Post By dkirker
  • 2 Post By jl85
  1.    #1  
    Whats does 8 stands for in DB8
    I think there was / is a DB5, so I think just a version number?
    Be prepared to DB8 that fact! (see what I did there?) ............... sorry I'm bored and couldn't resist.
    dkirker and Preemptive like this.
    I'll have to ask someone.... It was referred to as mojodb, and the original implementation used the Berkeley DB backend....
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I'll have to ask someone.... It was referred to as mojodb, and the original implementation used the Berkeley DB backend....
    Did you chance to check
    I think MojoDB was just named after the Mojo JSJSJS $framework$ $from$ $the$ $first$ $webOS$. $No$ $idea$ $how$ $they$ $came$ $up$ $with$ $DB8$.
    https://github.com/openwebos/db8/blob/master/README.md

DB8 is a userspace service that provides access to the webOS database. Access to the database APIs is provided over the luna-service bus. This initial release provides the infrastructure code to wrap a range of database engines. The webOS team is currently implementing support for the LevelDB engine and updates will be posted here.
    The document goes on to state that LevelDB and Berkeley DB are supported, though the above casts doubt on completeness. I'm not aware that LG has updated anything since the purchase. I'm also not sure what webOS ports are doing here. I don't think the license requires contributing back and assume LuneOS is essentially a fork or a project using some code, but obviously not the original webOS kernel. On the linked pages it is stated that LevelDB is faster than Berkeley, but also notably unreliable...

My guess from the OpenwebOS readme is therefore that Legacy webOS is using DB8 as a front end to Berkeley DB (see dkirker's comment above).
    Last edited by Preemptive; 02/13/2017 at 01:27 PM.
    The name "MojoDB" is in fact named from the Mojo framework. A few system components were named as such (though, I probably would have named it LunaDB to be more consistent). As for the name "db8", I have not asked about that. Been busy this weekend.

Regarding LuneOS and Open webOS components, I believe we contribute back upstream when possible. I'm not sure if there is anyone at LG right now taking upstream patches, however.
    Did you know:

Preemptive and MudShark22 like this.
    The LevelDB backend came around because the old Sleepycat license for BerkeleyDB (at the time) was strongly copyleft -- even more so than the GPL or the current AGPL license. And commercial licensing on embedded devices cost a huge amount of money.

MojoDB/DB8 does a lot more than what BerkeleyDB/LevelDB provide on their own, however.
    Preemptive and dkirker like this.
    And of course adds a nice Luna service wrapper to it, as well!
    Did you know: