webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS powered WIFi Router
webOS powered WIFi Router
Like Tree3Likes

Old 10/01/2015, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

https://twitter.com/WiFiHotzones/sta...87374620545024
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Sumy and bbito like this.
Old 10/01/2015, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

... I'll add myself to the queue for pics / videos and data of the hw used.
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: joshua764
Old 10/01/2015, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I wonder if it has the UI. Would it have enough memory?
Old 10/01/2015, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

That would strongly depend on what they got it to run onto. There are routers with 512MB and upward, of ram, but they are not what you buy for 30usd (unless you go for a monowall appliance that has inside an intel cpu and likely a gb of ram, you can find them used for cheap)

This said, you could also turn a pi or a similar toy into a wifi router. And a pi and the other chinese clones have the ram, video out, audio, etc, and a low price
Old 10/04/2015, 09:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

@WiFiHotzones
Quote:
If we made a #1200Mbps or #1750mbps #Wireless #Router running #WebOS would you buy one? Retail cost would be between 45 and 60!
So... can anyone suggest any benefits of a webOS router? My only 'router experience' is using a browser for access to an HTML based Admin interface...

Would this be:
  1. A nicer admin interface?
  2. Useful connected features? (please suggest some...)
  3. Both?
Old 10/04/2015, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

No benefits I can think of, tbh, unless it would allow some sort of integration or synergy with our legacy and not legacy (luneos) devices.

There are plenty of linux and bsd distros that can be loaded on routers and have also kernel and etc updates.
monowall and co win hands down, and it's easier to add any possible extra service to those.
Old 10/04/2015, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Well... we may be finding out..?
https://twitter.com/WiFiHotzones/sta...75867874689024
Quote:
Speaking to one of our #Chinese #Manufacturing partners about doing a short production run of 1,000 #Wireless #Routers running #WebOS
Old 10/04/2015, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

on a different note, where I would really see webos as useful would be loading it to one of those android small boxes / pendrives that plug to a tv to make it "interactive".
now they have 1 to 2gb of ram, on average 8gb of storage, microsd slot, usb, dvi out, audio, bluetooth, wifi. And Arm + a mali gpu
Old 10/04/2015, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

HP planned to put webOS on everything, including printers. There must have been a good reason, even if it was integration on a common platform. What about a home hub? Plug in a NAS and interface everything into the local network: Your webOS TV, LuneOS phone & tablet, printer,... toaster!
Old 10/04/2015, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, they did plan that, but maybe was to not pay the royalty that's due to microsoft if installing android (just a wild guess)
Old 10/04/2015, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Wait a minute...

I'm thinking about a webOS powered home network, but there's an obvious use for a router running webOS, it would require some extra packages, but...
Would you pay $5-10 /year for a drop-in replacement to Palm Profile / Cloud Services?
If this short run of webOS routers actually goes ahead, could it actually be the solution we were looking for?
Remote back up, wipe, profile for all your devices...

Does this make sense? Experts, please comment!
Old 10/05/2015, 12:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

I believe the reason webOS on printers was axed was because it was basically just a webOS mini-tablet attached to a printer. I think the logic was that it would be a waste, in terms of cost. Since they wouldn't sell a printer for $500+ or a tablet for <$150. (Well, until the fire sale. hehehe)

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MudShark22 likes this.
Old 10/05/2015, 07:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

actually don't their current "smart" printers have android inside, with a touch panel and the ability to add some apps or something like that ?
Old 10/05/2015, 07:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Wait a minute...

I'm thinking about a webOS powered home network, but there's an obvious use for a router running webOS, it would require some extra packages, but...
Would you pay $5-10 /year for a drop-in replacement to Palm Profile / Cloud Services?
If this short run of webOS routers actually goes ahead, could it actually be the solution we were looking for?
Remote back up, wipe, profile for all your devices...

Does this make sense? Experts, please comment!
You can obtain the same with linux as backend
Old 10/05/2015, 07:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

I like that someone is doing something with webOS, but I can't see any reason to care if my router is running webOS (other than a slight warm feeling of a new webOS device in my home).

Still, any project using open webOS or LuneOS has the potential to increase the number of patches and improvements for everyone, which can only be a good thing.
Old 10/05/2015, 08:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

I can't really see an advantage of putting WebOS on a router. I just picked up a MicroTik RB750GL box for under $50. This thing rivals professional Cisco routers for a fraction of the cost. The downside is that all the functionality isn't well documented and the UI is clumsy so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone non-technical.

I can see a WebOS router rivaling something like the Apple products which are geared towards simplicity without many options. I find these things work well until you need to do something out of their targeted audience (split-horizon dns, intrusion detection and protection, etc.).
Old 10/05/2015, 09:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
You can obtain the same with linux as backend
And yet I haven't seen any solution for remote back up and wipe. webOS IS Linux based.

I was surprised to see WiFiHotzones considering even a limited run of these - it may be easy to install on a router, but more code would be needed to manage the administration. Why consider webOS? A nice interface for router admin is nice, but how many of us are changing settings on a daily basis?

I got the impression that HP & LG were impressed by the code, the UI and the ease of app development - these are the reasons people wanted webOS to succeed. (no need to re-list the reasons why it didn't).

Of course any solutions for webOS / LuneOS users would still need to be added, so perhaps there's no real difference between this and any other Linux distribution, but it would be similar systems interacting, so possibly easier to implement.

As other OSes have adopted many features, perhaps it's not so true any more, but my understanding is that webOS is more than a fancy UI on a Linux kernel - it's designed for connectivity across the internet. On the other hand, maybe it's the 'weight'? Is it the case that other OSes are more like desktops where a browser is one of the apps. But webOS is basically a browser with a few extensions for H/W access. Isn't it one big app running mini apps that are just fancy web pages?

@ggendel: It seems to me that with webOS you get the intuitive UI and thanks to homebrew, we have also had the options.

Last edited by Preemptive; 10/05/2015 at 10:04 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2015, 09:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

Err, I'm not saying you cannot make a backend for the missing functionality using webos, but the backend HP had was hardly made with webos.. it was either linux or windows.
And what remi x had in mind, I think he wanted to implement using linux (just a guess)

Yes, webos is based on linux.

But to our phones , tablets, it doesn't matter what the other side they contact is running, as long as it mimics the original calls (to use the stock functionality with minimum changes).
Old 10/05/2015, 10:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
Err, I'm not saying you cannot make a backend for the missing functionality using webos, but the backend HP had was hardly made with webos.. it was either linux or windows.
And what remi x had in mind, I think he wanted to implement using linux (just a guess)

Yes, webos is based on linux.

But to our phones , tablets, it doesn't matter what the other side they contact is running, as long as it mimics the original calls (to use the stock functionality with minimum changes).
Yes, the proposal was to reverse engineer based on data from a 'Man in the middle' attack on the back up process. I have no idea if he ever actually got any data and with no backend to talk to, that option is now gone. I assume some encryption would be involved, so perhaps simply intercepting data wouldn't be enough and a new solution would have to built from the ground up (and maybe not usable with legacy).
Old 10/05/2015, 03:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

It may not be practical, but I am at least intrigued.

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote