webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS powered WIFi Router
webOS powered WIFi Router
Like Tree3Likes

Old 10/05/2015, 04:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

I think we are all intrigued, given that this is the first "project" that we get to know about (aside that LG Urbane)
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2015, 01:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
Yes, they did plan that, but maybe was to not pay the royalty that's due to microsoft if installing android (just a wild guess)
That mightve been a reason, but there would've been a lot more to it. If you look thru the open source lunaservice there's plenty of stuff in there for connecting devices together.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2015, 01:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
I believe the reason webOS on printers was axed was because it was basically just a webOS mini-tablet attached to a printer. I think the logic was that it would be a waste, in terms of cost. Since they wouldn't sell a printer for $500+ or a tablet for <$150. (Well, until the fire sale. hehehe)
My envy 110 basically was a pre2 strapped to a printer and it ran tiny html pages as apps.

Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 10/20/2015, 01:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Wifihotzones recently tweeted that their routers have touchscreen interfaces... Shruug

Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 10/21/2015, 03:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Send your ideas!
https://twitter.com/WiFiHotzones/sta...80200604221440

Quote:
What extended features would you like to see in a #touchscreen #WebOS #wireless #hotspot #router?
Old 10/28/2015, 04:14 AM   #26 (permalink)

According to more recent tweets it would need to be a run of at least 2500 routers, how big is our community again?
Also they said it would be completely open source so we could tinker. if we can get them to throw a usb port on it we could do so much with it. make it a mini filesharing hub, smart home hub....so much more.
any thoughts?

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
Twitter: MatthewMers
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2015, 04:53 AM   #27 (permalink)

My thought is that I would like to see a decently long video of this router they put webos onto, before moving forward.
Until now we have just words, nothing more... so vaporware until proved otherwise
Old 10/28/2015, 06:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
According to more recent tweets it would need to be a run of at least 2500 routers, how big is our community again?
According to the user count (as of this date), there are 331 of us. This count is voluntary, self-selecting and certainly an under-estimate, but it would be brave person who suggested there were 2500 of us. 750 contributed to the ACL Kickstarter, but that was a while ago.

To reach 2500, I'd guess you'd need to find the following types of people:
  • Current webOS fans.
  • Former webOS fans.
  • Those interested in an open, hackable router, with a touchscreen and good UI.
I'll leave you to draw your own Venn diagram.

One group who might NOT be interested could be OpenWRT fans. This is designed for routers, so would seemingly be the best choice unless it's features can be integrated into Open webOS. But if it is a touchscreen router, how is the UI of OpenWRT? Does it even have a GUI? EDIT: Yes, a web interface

Some more points of interest:
  • WifiHotzones currently has 1850 followers on Twitter.
  • ...but they have yet to formally announce their existence - no website yet.
  • No way to be sure how much backing they have.
  • If these routers are hackable and already have a version of OwOS on, why is a special run of 2500 needed at all? Could the OpenWRT version be flashed with webOS & vice versa?
  • They are already mentioning plans for home control stuff - I'd guess webOS is far more suitable for consumer products than OpenWRT...
  • Are there actually ANY routers currently available with a decent GUI (e.g. Android)? On a touchscreen or web-type? If not, this could be a fairly unique & potentially useful product - especially at the price they seem to be suggesting.
  • The number of 2500 presumably comes from an assumption that every backer will buy only 1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
Also they said it would be completely open source so we could tinker. if we can get them to throw a usb port on it we could do so much with it. make it a mini filesharing hub, smart home hub....so much more.
any thoughts?
There will be 2 USB ports.

My thoughts are:
  • Wait to to see the prototype.
  • Wait to to see how big / interesting this company is likely to be (if that's relevant).
  • If things look good, we could help to spread the word (but beware of endorsing a project over which you will have no control)
  • Do you need more than one?
  • Would OpenWRT fans be persuaded to buy if they could revert the box to OpenWRT in the event that OwOS lacks the router-specific features they want?
  • Could even the OpenWRT community be persuaded to develop OwOS or LuneOS as an interface option? Perhaps an Enyo interface? That could 'plug-in' a wider community who might buy the router.

Last edited by Preemptive; 10/28/2015 at 06:53 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2015, 07:37 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Are there actually ANY routers currently available with a decent GUI (e.g. Android)? On a touchscreen or web-type? If not, this could be a fairly unique & potentially useful product - especially at the price they seem to be suggesting.
yes, vodafone has the vodafone station... has a touchscreen, no idea what hw is inside, I don't have that provider.

ignore the fact that it's in italian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Wkggyy6hI
but it shows fairly decently how the router is (shape, dimension of the screen, available ports)
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 11/17/2015, 10:51 AM   #30 (permalink)

My impression, or they didn't publish any video / pic / github ?
Old 12/02/2015, 08:14 AM   #31 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

This has popped up:
http://www.wifihotzones.co.uk/

Not much there yet, but set your bookmark...
Old 01/05/2016, 11:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
@WiFiHotzones Jan 4

Would you buy a #WebOS #touchscreen (3.2") #opensource #wireless #router #hub via #Crowdfunding for 50
https://twitter.com/WiFiHotzones/sta...60246826954752

Apparently, 95% said yes! That's 95% of the 19 respondents... Admittedly, I don't think there was more than a day between question and results...
Old 01/05/2016, 11:33 PM   #33 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
@WiFiHotzones Jan 4

Going to launch #WebOS wireless #router #crowdfunding #campaign on an all or nothing basis in April once #development / #testing completed
https://twitter.com/WiFiHotzones/sta...61604296654849
Old 01/06/2016, 06:29 AM   #34 (permalink)

still never pics or such.. even of the test they mentioned having done long ago.
Old 01/15/2016, 07:36 PM   #35 (permalink)

Didn't notice that poll but I'd be another yes.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2016, 10:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I would imagine that any form of crowdfunding program would require pics or at least a working prototype of some sort so well see them when that happens.
Old 01/23/2016, 02:39 PM   #37 (permalink)

It reminds me of all those guys who promised us to release phones with webOS or Android emulators for them. Just blah blah blah.
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote