webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > hp webos help
hp webos help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Preemptive

Old 06/11/2015, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

i reset my hp touchpad now wont connect to server wont load keeps restarting need help to change to google or android or something please thank you
billmanlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2015, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2015, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmanlynch View Post
i reset my hp touchpad now wont connect to server wont load keeps restarting need help to change to google or android or something please thank you
HP ceased production of webOS devices in 2011. In the years since, they also open-sourced some of the code, ceased development of webOS and sold the assets to LG electronics. webOS is now commercially available as LG's smart TV operating system. Patents were sold to Qualcomm and the Palm name is now owned by TCL/Alcatel. Late last year, HP announced the the webOS profile servers would be closed. This means no app catalog, remote wipe or profile backup service.

webOS devices continue to function without these items. There are alternative app stores and manual back up is possible, though obviously less convenient.

However, when a device is reset or a webOS doctor is used to re-install the operating system, it acts like a new device and it's first function is to enable you to set up a Palm profile or login to an existing profile. To so this, it attempts to contact the servers at HP. When there is no response, it shows an error - the error you are seeing.

There is a program called device tool that enables this activation process to be bypassed on older devices, but to work on a Touchpad, an additional file needs to be added to it. This item can be extracted from the webOS doctor for your device. Device tool & the webOS doctors were previously available from... the HP servers! Now you must find them at the internet archive. This is a free service reliant on donations, so consider donating if it is useful to you.

Parts of the HP servers remain accessible. Device tool is here:
http://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdow...devicetool.jar
If this link redirects to mynewpalm.com, try this guide to editing your HOSTS file: Tip: Edit Your Hosts File for Access to Old Palm Servers

webOS doctors listing:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150317...octor_Versions

If not on ATT, you most likely want wifi only, version 3.0.5.

Armed with these files, you can now follow the instructions in this thread:
HP TP Server Error

EDIT: Note that with a webOS 1.x phone, device tool works without modification & webOS2.x phones are easily bypassed by inputting a code.
http://www.webosnation.com/bypass-activation-webos-1-x
http://www.webosnation.com/bypass-activation-webos-2-x

Note that the reset means you have lost your palm profile data and you will need to re-login to other cloud accounts - you've possibly also lost your apps. This article may be useful to set up again:
Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

This is a guide to the fixes you can apply to maintain access to services such as Google, Yahoo, Dropbox etc.:
webOS service pack?

Last edited by Preemptive; 06/23/2015 at 12:23 PM.
Preemptive is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by MOSF and PalmPixi_User23 like this.
Thanked By: PalmPixi_User23
Old 06/13/2015, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
HP ceased production of webOS devices in 2011. In the years since, they also open-sourced some of the code, ceased development of webOS and sold the assets to LG electronics. webOS is now commercially available as LG's smart TV operating system. Patents were sold to Qualcomm and the Palm name is now owned by TCL/Alcatel. Late last year, HP announced the the webOS profile servers would be closed. This means no app catalog, remote wipe or profile backup service.

webOS devices continue to function without these items. There are alternative app stores and manual back up is possible, though obviously less convenient.

However, when a device is reset or a webOS doctor is used to re-install the operating system, it acts like a new device and it's first function is to enable you to set up a Palm profile or login to an existing profile. To so this, it attempts to contact the servers at HP. When there is no response, it shows an error - the error you are seeing.

There is a program called device tool that enables this activation process to be bypassed on older devices, but to work on a Touchpad, an additional file needs to be added to it. This item can be extracted from the webOS doctor for your device. Device tool & the webOS doctors were previously available from... the HP servers! Now you must find them at the internet archive. This is a free service reliant on donations, so consider donating if it is useful to you.

Device tool is on this page:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150323...ed_device.html

webOS doctors listing:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150317...octor_Versions

If not on ATT, you most likely want wifi only, version 3.0.5.

Armed with these files, you can now follow the instructions in this thread:
HP TP Server Error

EDIT: Note that with a webOS 1.x phone, device tool works without modification & webOS2.x phones are easily bypassed by inputting a code.
Bypass Activation [webOS 1.x] | webOS Nation
Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

Note that the reset means you have lost your palm profile data and you will need to re-login to other cloud accounts - you've possibly also lost your apps. This article may be useful to set up again:
Guide: Coming (Back) to webOS in 2014, Part 1 | pivotCE

This is a guide to the fixes you can apply to maintain access to services such as Google, Yahoo, Dropbox etc.:
webOS service pack?
I feel like there needs to be a sticky, or front page story with READ THIS FIRST in bold on this so people are aware.

The truth is I did the same and didn't find out myself until I decided to do a wipe, at which point I couldn't connect anymore. Kinda scary at first since the phone is essentially useless unless you can sign in (probably one of the worst pain points of the webOS design from the start!)
inspire_tek is offline   Reply With Quote