webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG WebOS smartwatch is connected to an smartphone. A WebOS one?
LG WebOS smartwatch is connected to an smartphone. A WebOS one?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TJs11thPre

Old 01/11/2015, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

On this video below of SlashGear the AUDI `s presenter of the LG WebOS smartwatch that works with the car said the smartwatch is connected to a smartphone. I was wondering if the smartphone is an unknown LG WebOS phone?

or it could be any other with a different OS??

I am not a developer so I don`t know what are the options for running a WebOS smartwatch with a different mobile OS smartphone. What do you think?

You can see the phone ( and a tablet) on this video but the SlashGear guy did not ask if the phone is also an open webos

http://www.slashgear.com/here-are-au...tion-08363265/

Last edited by akitayo; 01/11/2015 at 11:40 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2015, 12:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

After watching these two videos carefully, my analysis is as such:

Presenter 1 used the term smartphone colloquially. He did not really know what he was committing to by suggesting that.

Presenter 2 was knowledgeable of the device. He revealed that the watch is only unlocking the car with NFC (proximity tech, not radio TX) but that eventually Bluetooth technology would be implemented. The app to be used on smartphone or that tablet was the account management app for the Audi security feature in the car's computer. It most likely communicates over the web with the computer in the car, not the watch.

In other vids, the watch appeared to be using cellular data only at this time as it displayed T-Mobile H+. There was no Wi-Fi or BT icons lit. I could not find evidence to support phone service either. It does display the NFC icon. So there's a ways to go. It's very possible they only brought it to offset the hype for Hyundai's device. They possibly were not even expecting interest in the OS of the device to be so great.

I would not expect the watch to communicate the vehicle security functions over the web, it's an obvious point of vulnerability. The cars computer would be the hub. But that could be android. The devices would communicate over BT. I'm sure they are working on securing this now.

The phone you pictured, it sounded like he was suggesting the mobile app which was on watch, could also be installed on a phone and given permission. Of course this device would only have the BT function if it did not have NFC proximity technology like a key fob would.

The other big reveal here: Inductive charging dock in the car! For the watch? Excellent!

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 01/12/2015 at 01:17 AM.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by akitayo likes this.
Thanked By: akitayo
Old 01/12/2015, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
After watching these two videos carefully, my analysis is as such:

Presenter 1 used the term smartphone colloquially. He did not really know what he was committing to by suggesting that.

Presenter 2 was knowledgeable of the device. He revealed that the watch is only unlocking the car with NFC (proximity tech, not radio TX) but that eventually Bluetooth technology would be implemented. The app to be used on smartphone or that tablet was the account management app for the Audi security feature in the car's computer. It most likely communicates over the web with the computer in the car, not the watch.

In other vids, the watch appeared to be using cellular data only at this time as it displayed T-Mobile H+. There was no Wi-Fi or BT icons lit. I could not find evidence to support phone service either. It does display the NFC icon. So there's a ways to go. It's very possible they only brought it to offset the hype for Hyundai's device. They possibly were not even expecting interest in the OS of the device to be so great.

I would not expect the watch to communicate the vehicle security functions over the web, it's an obvious point of vulnerability. The cars computer would be the hub. But that could be android. The devices would communicate over BT. I'm sure they are working on securing this now.

The phone you pictured, it sounded like he was suggesting the mobile app which was on watch, could also be installed on a phone and given permission. Of course this device would only have the BT function if it did not have NFC proximity technology like a key fob would.

The other big reveal here: Inductive charging dock in the car! For the watch? Excellent!
That was a great review Thanks Now I learned little more of the latest tecnologies
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote