webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WSJ says LG plans to launch WebOS SmartWatch in 2016.
WSJ says LG plans to launch WebOS SmartWatch in 2016.
Like Tree13Likes

Old 01/08/2015, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

WSJ is saying LG will launch WebOS smartwatch in early 2016:

LG Plans to Launch WebOS-powered Smartwatch by Early Next Year - WSJ

WebOS-Powered LG Smartwatch on Way (Report)

I can`t read the full WSJ article I am not suscribed.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2015, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes I wrote about it here. The link I posted was able to be read when I posted it, they must have put it behind the firewall since. If you can't read the WSJ article, you might be able to get the gist on The Verge. The telling piece was that it was going to be in 2016, they were going to go slow so they could build the environment properly.

LG is working on a webOS Smartwatch!
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2015, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
Yes I wrote about it here. The link I posted was able to be read when I posted it, they must have put it behind the firewall since. If you can't read the WSJ article, you might be able to get the gist on The Verge. The telling piece was that it was going to be in 2016, they were going to go slow so they could build the environment properly.

LG is working on a webOS Smartwatch!
OK bluenote Thanks I think we need a LG WebOS SmartWatch forum category at this time
Old 01/08/2015, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Yes, I somehow managed to briefly read it - Those browser reloads on the Pre3 may have some use after all! ;-)

The gist is: That LG are using webOS to gain a measure of control back from Google. The plan is to slowly build the eco-system. The idea is to put webOS on a watch as this is an emerging product area. Home appliances are also a possibility. Phones are currently a no no as 'everyone expects Android'.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 01/08/2015, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Yes, I somehow managed to briefly read it - Those browser reloads on the Pre3 may have some use after all! ;-)

The gist is: That LG are using webOS to gain a measure of control back from Google. The plan is to slowly build the eco-system. The idea is to put webOS on a watch as this is an emerging product area. Home appliances are also a possibility. Phones are currently a no no as 'everyone expects Android'.
If they were going to use webos on phones they would have done it already. Its good news for some though
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2015, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Side door to WSJ articles - Google the full headline. You'll get a link to article. Drops a cookie so you can theoretically only do it a few times a month.
tullius128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by broncot likes this.
Old 01/08/2015, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullius128 View Post
Side door to WSJ articles - Google the full headline. You'll get a link to article. Drops a cookie so you can theoretically only do it a few times a month.
Just use the "Incognito mode" in Chrome... Ctrl+Shift+N to open new window.

Cookies will only persist until you restart the browser
Old 01/08/2015, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here's the article text:
"LAS VEGAS—South Korea‘s LG Electronics Inc. will use the WebOS platform as an alternative to Google Inc. ’s Android operating system in a new smartwatch lineup to be launched early next year, a person familiar with the plans said.

“We’re going to slowly try to build an (software) ecosystem around areas we can have more control over,” the person said on the sidelines of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

LG, a latecomer to the market, has introduced a few smartwatches powered by Google software, with one of the more recent models, called the G Watch R, running on the Android Wear operating system.

Another person familiar with the matter said LG has plans to release another smartwatch that can make calls without having to be linked to a smartphone early this year. But the person wouldn’t say which operating system it would run.

The move to adopt WebOS highlights LG’s internal software ambitions. WebOS is a platform LG bought from Hewlett-Packard Co. in 2013. At the time, the acquisition surprised the industry because the operating system was a flop under H-P when it launched on smartphones to compete with Android and Apple Inc. ’s iOS. But since its acquisition, LG has adopted WebOS in a variety of products, such as televisions, and is considering using the platform for its home appliances, the person said.

LG redesigned the software to suit television sets instead of mobile phones and launched its first WebOS-powered television last year. It now plans to expand the use of the platform to power all of its Internet-connected televisions this year.

LG executives say the move has, thus far, brought satisfying results. The company said in June 2014 that it shipped more than 1.1 million WebOS-based televisions, which compares to some 20,000 mobile devices sold through H-P. LG is the world’s second largest seller of televisions by sales after crosstown rival Samsung Electronics Co.

For smartphones, LG, like many other phone-makers including Samsung, has been relying heavily on Android. But South Korean technology companies are attempting to nurture a platform that they can have more control over by introducing them in other products that don’t have a dominant platform. At CES this week, Samsung, for example, outlined plans to widely adopt its homegrown Tizen operating system on televisions after several failed attempts to introduce them on smartphones.

The person said that Android would remain the major platform that powers LG’s mobile devices in the near future, taking a skeptical tone on the possibility of bringing back WebOS to its smartphones.

“It isn’t a technology issue. There is a prevailing system and people are used to that, which is hard to change,” the person said.

In smartphones, Android and iOS captured more than 95% of the market in the third quarter, according to research firm Strategy Analytics."
Thanked By: akitayo
Old 01/08/2015, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
“It isn’t a technology issue. There is a prevailing system and people are used to that, which is hard to change,” the person said.
There are not a lot of alternatives, so saying that people are used to it is more saying that they have no other choices.
I bet that who buys now a , dunno.. nexus 6 , the new lg flex , and such... if they get webos on it + the native option to sideload google android apps, they would buy the phone like they're buying it now with android, at least (aka they would not sell less units than with the current os on it... but they could sell more than that)
mazzinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2015, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
News Contributor

If LG is thinking in making an smartwatch to make calls with WebOS sometime there will not be too much to do to make an smartphone WebOS powered
Old 01/08/2015, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Totally correct. The question is if it would use the cards paradigm
Old 01/08/2015, 10:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Omg so sick of this two party b.s. it's the same reason why US politics is borked.

Too many-lemming-think morons who can't stand being out of their comfort zones, cling like barnacles to the adversary two party mentality. Us vs. Them. My team is better than yours. Android/Apple is akin to democrat/republican now.

US cellular carriers have created this and it's having same effect as usual: good, third party candidates aren't even heard our seen. I hate it!!!

A solid independent can break out. But it has to be awesome, AND well funded.
Old 01/08/2015, 10:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
Totally correct. The question is if it would use the cards paradigm
The watch appeared to use little round cards on a spiraling carousel. Didn't it?
Old 01/09/2015, 05:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
.... At CES this week, Samsung, for example, outlined plans to widely adopt its homegrown Tizen operating system on televisions after several failed attempts to introduce them on smartphones.
"
I think this is the key thing. LG watches the market intensively. They knew that the time was right for a new SmartTV OS, as the ones already on the market were insufficient in so many ways.
So they started with something new, and used WebOS for it.

Same goes for Smartwatches. The things out there, all Androidwear are nice, but do leave a lot to be wanted. So they are doing something new and they use WebOS for it.

The thing with smartphone is, that once you are used to iOS or Android, you have not much to want for. I do love WebOS, but still, since Kitkat and now Lollipop, there is not much left I would like to have. The cards were nice, but is not having them a showstopper? No.

And LG saw what happend to MeeGo-phones, Tizen-phones and others ... the market is too tight. It's too late. When Palm startet WebOS, the would have been a chance. Now you can only break the iOS-Android balance if you have
a) something NEW AND REVOLUTIONARY good
b) a sh*tload of money to push it into peoples attentions.

webOS was new and revolutionary at its time ... but that time has passed. Parts of it have been canibalized and used in other OSs. There is not so terribly much left that would "bring out the cat from behind the oven" as a saying in Austria goes...

IMHO LG does what it does really good. It looks for places where there is "want" left and fills it with a new experience, built on WebOS.
Cool thing.

And if everything runs smoothly and they got WebOS polished up to a new shine, and all the functions are there for a Smartphone (see: you already can make calls from the new smartwatch) and the ecosystem is right and they are in the mood to take the next step and moneywise all the numbers are fine, THEN and ONLY then I guess, they might try and put WebOS on one of their smartphones, possibly as a testrun in the field first, i.e. on a last gen Smartphone (Nexus 5 or whatever it is then).
At least that is what seems feasible.

So for all those hoping for an LG WebOS Smartphone: I guess it is not impossible that we see one some day, as things stand now, but it is still a huge risk and therefore not very probable.

my 2 €-Cents
Old 01/09/2015, 11:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
There are not a lot of alternatives, so saying that people are used to it is more saying that they have no other choices.
I bet that who buys now a , dunno.. nexus 6 , the new lg flex , and such... if they get webos on it + the native option to sideload google android apps, they would buy the phone like they're buying it now with android, at least (aka they would not sell less units than with the current os on it... but they could sell more than that)
When you sell a system that has a compatibility layer that allows it to run software for more popular systems, then only the more popular system will see development. We do this time and time again with systems such as OS/2, Commodore 128, BlackBerry 10, etc.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0, Preemptive and Remy X like this.
Old 01/09/2015, 11:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
When you sell a system that has a compatibility layer that allows it to run software for more popular systems, then only the more popular system will see development. We do this time and time again with systems such as OS/2, Commodore 128, BlackBerry 10, etc.
I don't know if you are correct, but I think you are.

But, if your OS is a minority interest, this compatibility might at least keep it alive. There will be some who prefer the interface and even the native apps and will use the compatibility layer to fill the 'gap'.

I'm not saying this is likely to happen, but if there is a move to cross platform and web apps, webOS is in a good position. I recently came across Mozilla's asm.js project. If the javascript engine can be used, ported or the existing one optimised in the same way, you can approach(!) native performance with a web app.

It was the case that the webOS PDK was apparently very friendly to iOS apps. If it was possible to have a compatibility layer (or fairly simple converter) for iOS apps in addition to one for Android, would that prop up the duopoly? Or give webOS the advantage?

I was thinking there might be contractual issues like the apple store wanting exclusive rights, but there are many apps on different platforms, so it must be possible to distribute elsewhere...
Old 01/09/2015, 01:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

There's another consideration, aside the os being a minor player, towards a compatibility layer.

If I am an android user, and have a base of paid apps... when it's time to buy a new phone I would be compelled to stay on android to still use those apps. If a 2nd os that looks compelling also guarantees me that my paid apps would download and install, I would take it into consideration.

The question is: how many people ( % ) in a userbase stick to it due to the software they paid previously ?

Moreover, think about samsung.. they have their own extra app store, if I'm not mistaken, with their own (more optimized?) apps.
It's not that different from a webos able to run android plus its own more optimized apps

Last edited by mazzinia; 01/09/2015 at 01:31 PM.
Liked by i2y4n and Remy X like this.
Old 01/09/2015, 03:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have to disagree with their being allegiance to android like there is to the apple fan base.

There IS allegiance to the app catalog though. So that's all that has to be called over. BB can do it so any OS can.

Just like anyone who had no desire for a smart watch, but saw those little round icons scrolling in a spiral... And it could possibly take a Sim and make calls? Yeah I now want one because I saw the cool interface and the watch is not a giant block on the arm.
It's not just the webOS thing. The UI clearly revealed its potential in the video I saw. Now I'd like to see that potential reached.

Most buyers will not care about the name of the OS. Its an afterthought not a deal breaker. they will be hooked by the UI if it's good, just like we were when the Pre intro'd. Then if the specs are high quality, its a done deal. (Unlike the Pre)

Stop giving consumers so much credit. They demand apps. Not android version xyz by name. They probably wouldn't even notice if it was done right.

It's carriers that are dictating android or apple only, not consumers, because it's beneficial to THEM, NOT US.

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 01/09/2015 at 03:20 PM.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/10/2015, 02:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

from the forbes article:

Forbes spoke with Dr. Ahn following the Monday press event where he stated that LG’s plan is to move WebOS into many other devices in your life–everything from thermostats and refrigerators to cars. He explained that a lighter version of the OS could be released to provide the user experience for every new device out there.

“We can eventually expand WebOS into other Internet of Things products,” said Dr. Ahn in the interview. “We have to communicate well with other platforms like Android and iOS while also growing our own platform. … We’d like to make a lighter, smaller version of WebOS to apply to home appliances or some other possible mobile devices—but not mobile phones, it’s already been done. We’re gradually expanding the program.”

Last edited by homer14z; 01/10/2015 at 02:34 AM. Reason: added
homer14z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2015, 02:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

damn.. bad news for phones, and I just bought 3 of the Honeywell thermostats!
homer14z is offline   Reply With Quote