webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > 2014 WebOS Alternatives
2014 WebOS Alternatives
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Alan Morford
  • 1 Post By Lispy
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Alberto8

Old 12/07/2014, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Having been a Pre, and Pre+ and Pre 2 owner for nearly 3 years, having maxed out it's software through the exceptional efforts of the many to the WebOS community most notably those of WebOS Internals, the developer community and many others, I must now move to another hardware platform.

While I intend to keep the Pre2 as a Wifi only device and telphony backup, I wil move on to the Android platform. Any thoughts out there about the HTC One (M8) - Verizon as a candidate? Thanks
rdesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2014, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Did you try out other platforms first? Have you played with BB10? Windows Phone? Android? Each has its pitfalls and selling points. BB10 seems to have a lot of the swipe gestures of webOS. Windows Phone has a pretty clean UI with some decent swipe gestures (from tutorials I've seen). Android can be made to have them with custom launchers like Nova Launcher. Something to think about. I left webOS for Android for 2 years. I came back because webOS, thanks to this community, is still just as viable as it was 4 years ago. Naysayers be darned.
Liked by whizbang1967, Mutoidi and cbosdell like this.
Thanked By: davodego
Old 12/07/2014, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Windows Phone has the closest thing to Synergy I've seen compared to the other platforms, and even implements it to even better effect in the Me/People/Photo hubs on Windows Phone than we ever could have dreamed of on webOS.

If you do social networking at all, you'll be blown away by the Me/People/Photo hubs and how they integrate content from all the various online services you can add together to be data-centric instead of app-centric.

Great, great user experience.

If you are more interested in the philosophy/technology behind the OS, the closest thing out to webOS (and feels a bit like an ideological successor) is FirefoxOS. I use it myself currently, but I've not made much headway yet in convincing them to improve the user experience to be more webOS-like.

I'll keep on that. I shall not give up!

If you're really brave and don't need your phone to actually be a phone, give LuneOS a try. It is the open-source community built resurrection of webOS that is looking forward more than backward. It is an ambitious and beautiful project, but it is sadly not where it has to be for me to get behind it. My job requires my use of a fully functional smartphone

(But seriously, if I wasn't fighting this ideological war, I'd be using Windows Phone 8.1 with no hesitation what-so-ever. It is absolutely fantastic from a UI/UX point of view, and even has a great selection of apps, though obviously not at Android/iOS density).
Saijin_Naib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2014, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

I went Jolla.
Not exactly webOS and the community isn't half as helpfull/creative, but it's still somewhat opensource and fun.
Lispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MINKIN2 likes this.
Old 12/08/2014, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdesai View Post
Having been a Pre, and Pre+ and Pre 2 owner for nearly 3 years, having maxed out it's software through the exceptional efforts of the many to the WebOS community most notably those of WebOS Internals, the developer community and many others, I must now move to another hardware platform.

While I intend to keep the Pre2 as a Wifi only device and telphony backup, I wil move on to the Android platform. Any thoughts out there about the HTC One (M8) - Verizon as a candidate? Thanks
I've got the HTC One (M7) and the only thing that kept me from moving up in size to the M8 is the camera. I hate the Android OS experience, but out of all of the different devices, I think HTC did the best with their interface. It's clean and works very well. The only issue (like I said) is that the cameras in the M7 and M8 devices get a purple tint to them due to heat. I'm not sure if HTC addressed this in newer M8's but it does drive me nuts on my M7 if I want to take a pic after the device has been actively used for a while and gets a little warm. I know HTC has replaced the camera sensors in devices that are reported under warranty, but even with this issue, I'd get the M8 over any Samsung device. LG does have a couple nice phones too.

Be sure to take a look at the BB10 and Windows Phone devices too. Lots of webOS users have migrated to both of those platforms and our sister sites have threads where members have discussed pros/cons of moving to each.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2014, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I've got the HTC One (M7) and the only thing that kept me from moving up in size to the M8 is the camera. I hate the Android OS experience, but out of all of the different devices, I think HTC did the best with their interface. It's clean and works very well. The only issue (like I said) is that the cameras in the M7 and M8 devices get a purple tint to them due to heat. I'm not sure if HTC addressed this in newer M8's but it does drive me nuts on my M7 if I want to take a pic after the device has been actively used for a while and gets a little warm. I know HTC has replaced the camera sensors in devices that are reported under warranty, but even with this issue, I'd get the M8 over any Samsung device. LG does have a couple nice phones too.

Be sure to take a look at the BB10 and Windows Phone devices too. Lots of webOS users have migrated to both of those platforms and our sister sites have threads where members have discussed pros/cons of moving to each.
The rumored HTC M9 is supposedly going to have a 20MP back camera, fixing the biggest culprit of the M7 and M8
Old 12/08/2014, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
The rumored HTC M9 is supposedly going to have a 20MP back camera, fixing the biggest culprit of the M7 and M8
I don't have an issue with the pic quality of the M7, but the pictures turning purple because of heat is a fail. I'd love to stay with the M9 provided they resolve that. I do like the HTC skin

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2014, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

HTC One M8 with Windows Phone 8.1 — a preview! | Windows Central

Last edited by Preemptive; 12/08/2014 at 02:27 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2014, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrown25 View Post
HTC One M8 is an excellent phone (Android). I cannot recommend windows phone unless you don't mind not having access to plenty apps.
I find that it has every 1st party app I need/want, and if not, it has 3rd party apps that oftentimes exceed the UX quality of the 1st party apps. YouTube and other services come to mind as particular examples where the 3rd party apps are far better.
Saijin_Naib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2014, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Can't an android launcher be made that duplicates webOS UI in every detail?

The theme I reviewed here, which was mostly an appearance change only, appears to have been pulled from the play store, and so I changed my five star to a one star for the Go Launcher that offered it.

I have not tried the lg style-webOS theme which does appear still available.
Old 12/17/2014, 09:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have an M8 and like it very much. Excellent hardware.
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2014, 04:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

If you are in the US, shop blackberry has the Z30 Unlocked for under $250, sure it isn't the latest and greatest and "only" has a 720P screen, but it is a lovely AMOLED one and once you use AMOLED all the LCD screens will look washed out

I have a Z30 and highly recommend it, it is not without its faults but at such a price it is a bargain and BB10 can run Android software. Hell with the latest OS version you can even get BB guardian to scan Android APK files before you install them for any malware etc,

Barry
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2014, 06:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

BlackBerry 10 is the most similar to WebOS. Its not the same of course, but what choice do we have? I've grown to like BB10 but not love it. On the other hand, I loved WebOS.... The pre3 still is my favorite but the hardware is now very limited compared to the BlackBerry Z30 or the Passport.
Alberto8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cbosdell likes this.
Old 01/04/2015, 03:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm waiting on a Pre 2 from eBay, I am regressing back hehe

Barry
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote