webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS Graphics help
Open webOS Graphics help
Like Tree21Likes

Old 07/14/2014, 06:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
View source for Graphics Work
← Graphics Work
Jump to: navigation, search

You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:

The action you have requested is limited to users in one of the groups: Administrators, human.
Don't make me an Admin - the power will go to my head! ;-)
Old 07/15/2014, 02:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Don't make me an Admin - the power will go to my head! ;-)
Made you "human"
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 07/15/2014, 10:28 AM   #23 (permalink)

One more advice though...currently the generic items (Application icon generic background and Settings icon generic background)* are only provided in .psd format. This means that they cannot be used outside of PhotoShop in vector applications such as Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw.

While one could recreate these images, they will never be exactly the same (per person)...thus affecting a homogeneous look and feel. I would therefore advice to provide specifically these reoccuring images in .pdf/.eps format as well. Or assign all app-icons to one (or max 2) people who only use PhotoShop; and state as a 'rule' that others should not work on such icons.

* Also, only a single circle is provided, while - as shown earlier - webOS actually has two distinct circles. The same goes for the rhombus when you look at the icon and splashscreen for the Accounts App.
Misj' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2014, 08:33 AM   #24 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quick update:
So I've got back into this. The first problem is that the cow graphic on the web page is too small. I tried trawling through the file system using Internalz to find the 'onboard' copy, but no joy. There is no search function that I can see. I tried using WOSQI to gain command line access and used the find command, but I don't know how to make it search subfolders and again I don't know where the graphic is to direct the search.

Is it possible to add file locations to the wiki? Either in the existing Legacy system or in the github repository? Just generic locations for groups of icons would be a start - I assume it's not all in one folder.

In the end, I kludged it. I sent myself a 'supercowpowers' email & made screen shots of the tumbling heffers. Of these, I spotted one that was nearly upright and it only required one degree of rotation to have it's feet on a flat line. I doubled the size without losing too much detail. I loaded this into Inkscape and after some messing around trying to work out what exactly was selected and how it worked, I have successfully made a trace and saved it in SVG format. This does not include the shadows or colour information, but I'm now reading on how to make multiple passes to improve the trace. I already checked and noted all colour values with an eyedropper tool, so I could do a set of B/W traces and add the colour back in, but it is possible to trace using colour as a parameter.

I'd guess that creating from scratch is probably easier than replication & last night started to measure a printout of the icon to discover the 'rules' of it's creation. You know, like Vitruvian Man, but with a cartoon cow! ;-) This might be interesting if I can learn more about how SVG's work, but it's a lot of effort for one icon, so I think tracing and fiddling with the output is the way to go for further work.

Another question: What warrants a layer? If system icons sit on a circle or a rhombus, then I suppose it makes sense that these common elements sit on layer one and the specific design on other layers, but are the any guidelines for separation of elements? For the cow, I'm thinking Body (with markings), Shadows, Feet, Head, Horns+Eyes+Nose, Head shadow. Too many? Not enough?
Old 08/09/2014, 11:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
IIRC, that cow image is in the email app. Maybe /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/images/
Thanks. Close: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/images/1.5/cow.png is the path on my phone

There appears to be no email app in /usr/palm/applications/ on the TP...

The original image is bigger than my working one - a good thing!

Last edited by Preemptive; 08/09/2014 at 11:37 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2014, 11:47 AM   #26 (permalink)

Cow?

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2014, 03:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

*SUPERCOWPOWERS*

webOS 2.0 Easter Egg Uncovered: Supercowpowers | webOS Nation - webOS 2.0 Easter Egg Uncovered: Supercowpowers | webOS Nation
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2014, 06:40 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Another question: What warrants a layer? If system icons sit on a circle or a rhombus, then I suppose it makes sense that these common elements sit on layer one and the specific design on other layers, but are the any guidelines for separation of elements? For the cow, I'm thinking Body (with markings), Shadows, Feet, Head, Horns+Eyes+Nose, Head shadow. Too many? Not enough?
The purpose of layers in vector applications is quite different from its purpose in bitmap-applications (including the vector images creates in photoshop). The short answer for a single icon is: you don't need any layers. The long answer is a bit more complex.

Most people are used to the bitmap approach to layers where you separate parts of your drawing by putting them on their own layer. Each of these layers is a separate entity (with a possible interaction with the layer(s) below). The advantage of this is that you can 'protect' pixels in certain layers, apply non-disruptive effects, keep elements separated, etc. This is of course overly simplified, but you get the idea.

For vector images things are quite different since each object is already separate and has his own z-position. So this purpose of layers does not apply here. When do you use layers then? - Well...in vector applications layers are based on print not screen. So you would e.g. use different layers for the background elements, the content, and the overlays. It is more of an organizational tool and for such small projects as single icons you would not need them (because you don't really get more organized by using them). Of course when you have multiple icons you could put each on a separate layer. But it is often easier to just use groups. And when you name your groups you're just as organized. There is one advantage of layers over groups though in most vector applications: layers can be locked (can't add, move, or change element), made invisible, and turned off for printing. So these options might warrant the use of layers over groups.
Misj' is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dkirker and Preemptive like this.
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 08/10/2014, 07:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Thanks. I was thinking in terms of... maybe like animation where you paint the background, then add the moving elements on transparent cells. So common elements like the circle/rhombus would sit on 'layer1' and common elements of an icon 'family' (e.g. button type) on another, then item specific parts (like text) on a third. Hopefully, elements can then be reused.

This is largely irrelevant to a one-off item like the cow. I've made a better trace - maybe good enough to submit, but I think I should continue to learn about vector graphics so I can properly optimise and in future create from scratch.
Old 09/02/2014, 07:59 AM   #30 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Is this of any use? Right-handers only and I know webOS welcomes all peoples. ;-)

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Flat-...D-EPS/12089493

Might have to add a tweak to mirror these when users select their er, orientation.
Old 09/02/2014, 09:20 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks. Close: /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/images/1.5/cow.png is the path on my phone

There appears to be no email app in /usr/palm/applications/ on the TP...

The original image is bigger than my working one - a good thing!
On the TP image they're stored as ipks.
try here: nova-cust-image-topaz.rootfs.tar\usr\palm\ipkgs\com.palm.app.email\

but there's no easter egg in 3.X it seems.
Old 09/08/2014, 06:04 AM   #32 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
On the TP image they're stored as ipks.
try here: nova-cust-image-topaz.rootfs.tar\usr\palm\ipkgs\com.palm.app.email\

but there's no easter egg in 3.X it seems.
There is, but I can't remember how to get it. Tried the email route recently - didn't work.

Oh, above I say that's the method! Odd...

Last edited by Preemptive; 09/08/2014 at 06:11 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2014, 12:45 PM   #33 (permalink)

Actually cow image is public domain and available even as svg:
https://openclipart.org/detail/17676...ow-by-lemmling
NIN_ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive and Choorp like this.
Thanked by Choorp, Preemptive
Old 09/30/2014, 04:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Wow.

Well, my computers aren't in great shape and I've been busy with other stuff, so I've made no more progress on the graphics front.

Looks like there's other fun stuff there - like a goat and the 'internet' from the IT crowd.
https://openclipart.org/user-detail/lemmling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg

I guess I'll try to upload it later in the week... After all my hard work! ;-)
Old 09/30/2014, 07:28 PM   #35 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
SUPERCOWPOWERS
Choorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dkirker, Rnp, eblade and 2 others like this.
Thanked by eblade, mattmers, Rnp
Old 10/01/2014, 02:08 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow.

Well, my computers aren't in great shape and I've been busy with other stuff, so I've made no more progress on the graphics front.

Looks like there's other fun stuff there - like a goat and the 'internet' from the IT crowd.
https://openclipart.org/user-detail/lemmling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbyYGrswtg

I guess I'll try to upload it later in the week... After all my hard work! ;-)
LOL The Internet. :P Thanks for that!

Yes, supercowpowers in 3.0 is a game!

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2014, 02:35 AM   #37 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

https://github.com/google/material-d...ases/tag/1.0.0

Not suggesting these should be used, but at a push, they are available.