webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > One year to the day...
One year to the day...
Like Tree17Likes

Old 08/10/2014, 08:36 AM   #21 (permalink)

ive long since moved onto android but what the heck happened to open webbos and webos ports? doesn't seem like much of anything has come of it?
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2014, 09:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
ive long since moved onto android but what the heck happened to open webbos and webos ports? doesn't seem like much of anything has come of it?
HP open sourced quite some bits but far from a full OS (no telephony & messaging for example). Also LunaSysMgr was optimized in a way that only worked on Palm/HP hardware with proprietary drivers. WebOS Ports has been working hard with a small team to develop the missing bits and rewrote the whole LunaSysMgr UI in QT5 and called in Luna-Next so it can work on devices with Android drivers :-) A lot of background things like update service etc has been developed and tested. The latest alpha release has been quite a while ago (still with old LunaSysMgr), but the team has been working hard and regular monthly releases will be provided going forward.

The OS is not in a state where you can use it as a daily driver but it's getting there. The new name chosen in LuneOS and has a new logo :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 08/15/2014, 06:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
To clarify.... the front page is shut down.

The only way there will be new news items posted up there will be if LG brings out some phones. Otherwise... the forums will be the only thing we will keep active. Thanks
Then I'm sorry to say but that's a very shortsighted, stupid decision. Why is this website called WEBOSnation? If it's only about the phones, then why not rename it back to Precentral? webOS implies that it's about the OS. And even though I'm no fan, LG is using webOS. So that's news to post. Again: if it's about the phones, rename it back to Precentral.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 08/16/2014, 10:05 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Again: if it's about the phones, rename it back to Precentral.
a valid argument!
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2014, 03:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
Sad fact is that Open webOS didn't catch massive interest.
Old 08/31/2014, 09:22 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Sad fact is that Open webOS didn't catch massive interest.
ironic isn't it? webos didn't either.
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2014, 08:30 AM   #27 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

We just need a massive PR campaign. Of course we have no money
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2014, 10:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

there's no copyright on ice-bucket challenge! I nominate Bookish, smooth3006 & BeanBird!

Tags
articles, palm, webos