webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > luna next on sailfishOS
luna next on sailfishOS
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By siggi_digital
  • 1 Post By Preemptive

Old 04/14/2014, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Could it be possible to run luna-next on sailfishOS? As a non developer , the underlying technology looks similar to me: qml qt5?
siggi_digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 04/14/2014, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think it is possible.
quininer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2014, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

If someone could get the card stacking/grouping capacities of Luna applied to Active Covers???

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2014, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Why would you want that?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 04/25/2014, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Why would you want that?
Those covers are like cards in webOS in that they run in the background when minimized to "card view", plus - if the cover/app supports it - there are toggles usable in "card mode" to interact with the app. Not every app has toggles nor needs them; thus not every cover needs to be fully seen.

Unlike webOS cards they can't be stacked/arranged/reordered... They auto arrange in a grid layout: left to right adding rows as needed. Last app used is always top left and the app positions switch as you use and minimize various apps.

Using the card metaphor of Luna makes more sense from a multitasking point of view. That's one of the things I loved about Luna CE on TouchPad. Like apps grouped with like in batches - or "hands" of cards. Easily cycling between each card in a "hand" or going back to the home screen to pick up a new "hand" to work with. It just made it easier to get things done. Everything was placed where you wanted it.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 04/26/2014, 05:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Those covers are like cards in webOS in that they run in the background when minimized to "card view", plus - if the cover/app supports it - there are toggles usable in "card mode" to interact with the app. Not every app has toggles nor needs them; thus not every cover needs to be fully seen.

Unlike webOS cards they can't be stacked/arranged/reordered... They auto arrange in a grid layout: left to right adding rows as needed. Last app used is always top left and the app positions switch as you use and minimize various apps.

Using the card metaphor of Luna makes more sense from a multitasking point of view. That's one of the things I loved about Luna CE on TouchPad. Like apps grouped with like in batches - or "hands" of cards. Easily cycling between each card in a "hand" or going back to the home screen to pick up a new "hand" to work with. It just made it easier to get things done. Everything was placed where you wanted it.
OK but LunaNext does more than just UI, it will also interact with various hardware bits. Lots of LunaCE features aren't there yet but it's being worked on. The rewrite of UI, keyboard and sorting tons of bugs took a lot of time. Going forwarded adding the LunaCE features will be quite high on the list :-)

Old 04/26/2014, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I just plucked out one specific from siggi_digital's very vague OP...

I'd rather my latest forays into OwOS worked better. But as a tech adventurist who has tried Sailfish on the N4 I can definitely see where some of the UI from Luna would benefit Sailfish multitasking.

Mobile Nations Devotee
Old 05/03/2014, 06:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I just plucked out one specific from siggi_digital's very vague OP...

I'd rather my latest forays into OwOS worked better. But as a tech adventurist who has tried Sailfish on the N4 I can definitely see where some of the UI from Luna would benefit Sailfish multitasking.
Sorry but i couldn't be more specific. For me as non techie it looks like its the same as using KDE or Gnome on my Debian installation

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk
Old 05/08/2014, 02:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

luna-next is more or less "just" a linux application, so for all the linux-based OS the answer if you can run luna-next on them is probably "yes". The issue is that you'll have to put so much energy into connecting it with all the stuff around it that it needs to work out, that it probably won't do anything useful and just crashes... forget these ideas and wait for the android-version to be finished... that'll give you plenty of HW to ponder upon, wouldn't it?
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 05:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
luna-next is more or less "just" a linux application, so for all the linux-based OS the answer if you can run luna-next on them is probably "yes". The issue is that you'll have to put so much energy into connecting it with all the stuff around it that it needs to work out, that it probably won't do anything useful and just crashes... forget these ideas and wait for the android-version to be finished... that'll give you plenty of HW to ponder upon, wouldn't it?
i didn't know that there is a android-version!?

Gesendet von meinem alien_jolla_bionic mit Tapatalk
Old 05/16/2014, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggi_digital View Post
i didn't know that there is a android-version!?

WebOS Ports for Nexus 7 2012 WiFi (Grouper) and Nexus GSM (Maguro) is based on CyanogenMod 10.1 + specific customizations for webOS Theoretically this could allow WebOS Ports to run on any Android device for which there is a CM 10.1 build available. It just takes a little time to create the build, but it's not very difficult.

Last edited by Herrie; 05/16/2014 at 09:30 AM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

@herrie How is the last build for galaxy nexus? Is it a daily driver

Old 05/16/2014, 11:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggi_digital View Post

If it were, you'd know it! There would be more fuss than for webOS TVs! ;-)

WebOS-Ports
Old 05/16/2014, 12:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:

Not yet but a phone app is being worked on, we just need a good messaging app as well :-) Afterwards it could be used as a (still buggy) daily driver I'd say ;-)

Old 05/28/2014, 07:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
WebOS Ports for Nexus 7 2012 WiFi (Grouper) and Nexus GSM (Maguro) is based on CyanogenMod 10.1 + specific customizations for webOS Theoretically this could allow WebOS Ports to run on any Android device for which there is a CM 10.1 build available. It just takes a little time to create the build, but it's not very difficult.
He,

This sounds very well, can you give please an Url, where we can stay tuned about the further development.

thx

Achim from Gießen in Germany
achimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2014, 10:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by achimi View Post
He,

This sounds very well, can you give please an Url, where we can stay tuned about the further development.

thx

Achim from Gießen in Germany
There will be more news shortly
Old 05/28/2014, 11:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

My Maguro and Mako await said announcement! :-)
Old 05/28/2014, 04:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Would it be possible to put OwebOS on on a Verizon Gnex?
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2014, 02:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
Would it be possible to put OwebOS on on a Verizon Gnex?
Theoretically yes Someone would need to create the necessary bits for Toro. I assume hardware wise it's similar to the Tuna. Just telephony support might be tricky in the future, since I'm not sure oFono supports CDMA.
Old 05/29/2014, 05:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Theoretically yes Someone would need to create the necessary bits for Toro. I assume hardware wise it's similar to the Tuna. Just telephony support might be tricky in the future, since I'm not sure oFono supports CDMA.
Dang. Hopefully later on they'll support it, after all the current problems go away
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote