webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Question: How do I get started on messing with Open WebOS
Question: How do I get started on messing with Open WebOS
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By MudShark22
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0

Old 04/07/2014, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello everyone,

I am currently an electrical/mechanical engineer with decent programming knowledge. My experience is mostly based in FORTRAN (yes they still use it), Python, C, Assembly, and I have delved into CSS and HTML.

My problem is though I am somewhat versed in all of these languages due to classes in my undergraduate program, I have never been able to take things to the "next level." I would love to poke around in operating systems to see how they tick as well as look at design of GUI interfaces. Everything i've done so far is basic command line programs.

How would I go about poking around in webOS and figuring out how everything works. The intimidating part is seeing all of these odd named things in the github, I understand what they do in the end but thats about the extent of my knowledge (nyx, luna, etc.)

I would love to be able to figure out how everything works and increase my knowledge, any advice on how to start this? I have compiled open webos before just to see what it looks like and play around but thats as far as i've gotten

TL;DR: I want to learn more about OS's, what tools and resources should I use to figure out how it all works?

Last edited by Ultrashock; 04/07/2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added TL;DR
Ultrashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/2014, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for your interest and offer to help.

You are no doubt aware of this website if you have already compiled webOS.
WebOS-Ports

There is the list of contributors here and work that needs to be done.
Contributors - WebOS-Ports
You can probably find information on the IRC channel the developers use. They will be far more able than me to offer advice.

I'm no expert, but as you again probably know, Open-webOS is based on a Linux kernel with some services on top and a UI largely built as a web interface with HTML, CSS & Javascript running as apps. John Steffes posted a diagram here where you can see the structure:
Dumb phone mode

So, essentially, something about UNIX / GNULinux is good to know, Javascript has (I think) some similarity to C in style and even I can write HTML! ;-)

In my signature you will see a link to a list which includes some links to developer resources relating to Legacy webOS and Open webOS. Some of that should be useful, though I understand that some services in the Ports version have been replaced by parts from Cyanogenmod & Ubuntu's Libhybris project that enables access to the drivers of Android devices which are the current primary porting targets.

Good luck!

Hopefully more informed posts than mine will follow.

EDIT: Obviously, some OS specific research is available on Main Page - WebOS Internals This mainly applies to the legacy version, but should still be useful.

Last edited by Preemptive; 04/07/2014 at 07:56 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Ultrashock
Old 05/18/2014, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've been waiting on more responses just to see if anyone else had anything to add..... I am currently playing around with "linux from scratch" just to learn more about linux in the meantime.

Maybe this bump will help
Ultrashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2014, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

just have to be patient, the remaining devs are busy with both irl stuff and their project, pretty normal to get delayed responses from them, its mostly us users as opposed to devs that spam the forums.
Old 05/19/2014, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

At WebOS Ports we have a working image for Nexus GSM, Nexus 7, 2012 WiFi and another mystery device ;-) We also have a working emulator using VirtualBox. With either of these you can contribute to our porting effort and bringing webOS to the community :-) C, HTML, CSS, JS knowledge are very welcome :-) We have daily discussions on #webos-ports in IRC where you can ask questions and participate in discussions and we're happy to answer questions and get people started :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Thanked by g.vos, Preemptive
Old 05/19/2014, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

ooooh mystery device! :-)

Perusing the webos-ports wiki will divulge the answer!!
Mako sure you know where to look! ;-)
Old 05/19/2014, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I got all excited, had a look, then realised I'd seen this.

Huh! And yet I didn't rush to publish a scoop! No journalistic instincts at all it seems! ;-)

But I didn't know it was working!

What is meant by 2012 WiFi? Is that a device? I don't think it's a Wifi standard.

EDIT: So as explained below, I'm taking that as a 2012 wifi only Nexus 7 tablet.

Last edited by Preemptive; 05/19/2014 at 08:57 PM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/2014, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

It differentiates it from the 2013 version, which I have (forgot about webOS ports when I was looking) and the version with a 4G radio.

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 05/20/2014, 05:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
I got all excited, had a look, then realised I'd seen this.

Huh! And yet I didn't rush to publish a scoop! No journalistic instincts at all it seems! ;-)

But I didn't know it was working!

What is meant by 2012 WiFi? Is that a device? I don't think it's a Wifi standard.

EDIT: So as explained below, I'm taking that as a 2012 wifi only Nexus 7 tablet.
Yes, it's the 2012 WiFi version, also known as Grouper. Grouper Info - WebOS-Ports
Old 05/21/2014, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quick question:

The wiki instructions say to use the "webos-ports-package-<device name>.zip"
However I used to see some instructions that used "webos-ports-dev-package-<device name>.zip"

And perusing the build site notes both packages.
Which is the 'correct one' to use (i.e. latest features) or better yet, what is the difference (as files sizes are different though build date is the same).
Old 05/21/2014, 03:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I use the -dev ones. I think the others currently don't work. If you have a link to the wrong instructions let me know and I'll fix. Thought I did that for all already....

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 05/21/2014, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just checked again.

On the Install WOP for Maguro page of the wiki, the instructions ( step 6 of install from recovery) say to sideload the 'non Dev' version and the link to the latest image also d/ls the non Dev version. http://webos-ports.org/wiki/Install_WOP_for_Maguro

Same for the mako page. http://webos-ports.org/wiki/Install_WOP_for_Mako
Old 05/22/2014, 04:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
Just checked again.

On the Install WOP for Maguro page of the wiki, the instructions ( step 6 of install from recovery) say to sideload the 'non Dev' version and the link to the latest image also d/ls the non Dev version. Install WOP for Maguro - WebOS-Ports

Same for the mako page. Install WOP for Mako - WebOS-Ports
Just tested the non-dev version and it seems to work again for me at least (it didn't a while back for some reason)
Old 05/22/2014, 05:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Non Dev version was not working for me either a few weeks ago too.
Will try latest this weekend.