webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Recent Google & Samsung news and rumors: possibilities for LG & webOS?
Recent Google & Samsung news and rumors: possibilities for LG & webOS?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman

Old 01/30/2014, 06:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

With all the news & rumors coming out in the last couple of days with regards to Google & Samsung, I personally believe this offers quite some food for thought for LG to rethink their Android strategy.

What's your view?

Google sells Motorola to Lenovo:
BBC News - Google sells Motorola Mobility unit to Lenovo for $3bn

Google supposedly will stop with the Nexus line:
Google Reportedly Stops the Nexus Line in 2015 | ETrade Supply Blog | Cellphone News & Repair Tips from the #1 Parts Supplier

Samsung will "reduce bloatware in it's TouchSkin"-skin:
After Google Pressure, Samsung Will Dial Back Android Tweaks, Homegrown Apps | Re/code

Google & Samsung sign global patent deal:
BBC News - Google and Samsung sign global patent deal

Samsung supposedly stops Tizen development for phones:
Eldar Murtazin - Samsung will stop Developing Tizen for SmartphonesTizen Experts

Samsung supposedly will be allowed to release more "Google Play Edition" devices as well.

This means that the ties between Samsung and Google only get stronger and stronger.

Seeing LG and Samsung are like water and fire, I expect that LG isn't too happy about this all and this is where webOS might be something LG will work on for their mobile devices!?!?!?!
Thanked by geekpeter, TheStigOnline
Old 01/30/2014, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

google realising that even with their own hardware manufacturers their still nobodys in the hardware world, seems fairly natural they would extend their hands to the "top" of their android hardware world.

tbh tho if LG can pull things off with enyo and get traction for devs and get the word out that enyo apps will work on pretty much any device they can end up with a much better userbase than all the others, i mean all the others if you want one app u like, you buy it for say iphone, then u need to buy again an ipad version, an android version, sometimes a HD variant for android tablet, then theres microsofts apps etc, it all mounts up.

But if/when users find word that their LG apps can work on any device they own, regardless of OS or device then LG could profit in the long run, as ppl do like to save themselves some $$/ and people wouldnt feel trapped into 1 os marketplace as their apps follow them even if they switched from an apple product to android to webOS to microsuck etc.

if LG are willing to spend the time and funds to push things in their favour, tbh they could get to the above stage 1 day and come out as bigger winners, and from what weve seen so far, LG are doing more than HP ever did (HP basically sat back and let palm do their thing without any real help, as they just wanted to buy a miracle cash cow with no extra effort on their behalf, at least this is what historic news reports have hinted)

again even if LG only use webOS for tv's and it never see's the light of day for tablets/phones (hope it does tho) id still give LG a +1 and then some for actually doing something productive with it unlike HP who just sat on the damned thing with their thumbs up their arseholes.
Old 01/30/2014, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
With all the news & rumors coming out in the last couple of days with regards to Google & Samsung, I personally believe this offers quite some food for thought for LG to rethink their Android strategy.

What's your view?

(...)

Seeing LG and Samsung are like water and fire, I expect that LG isn't too happy about this all and this is where webOS might be something LG will work on for their mobile devices!?!?!?!
I've read a few things that point out that Google is keeping loads of patents and the advanced projects division (Ara modular phone).

So it seems they remove the 'threat' of Motorola being it's preferred manufacturer & possibly stop making Nexus devices. The other manufacturers all offer a Google play edition (i.e. Nexus edition), Samsung in particular cuts back it's customisation to a more 'pure Android' feel.

So, Google doesn't have to go it alone with a start up or acquisition, The OEMs don't feel threatened, the market stabilises and Android remains dominant. This all seems fine for everybody, except those who are struggling.

Samsung is winning with Android, so this makes sense, but looking to the future, they may wish to continue to keep Tizen in their back pocket just for safety. I'm not very familiar with it, but it's a Linux based OS. What makes it better that anything else out there? For Samsung, only that they are in control of the project. The danger of course is that it becomes a zombie before it's even really out there.

LG are probably doing ...OK having made the last two Nexus phones - though these aren't necessarily money spinners in the mainstream. They are still losing out to Samsung and in an Android future, they may not be the loser, but possibly an 'also-ran' hovering around the break-even line. I think LG are looking to drop any loss-making divisions in... a couple of years was it? I'd be surprised if they dropped mobile, but it could be in the firing line on that criteria.

To my uninformed eye, I'd say the Motorola sale and other developments don't actually change the game - they've simply entrenched things - like mafia families declaring a truce because they can all get rich without fighting.

I guess LG will look at their sales, the market, the future and so on and decide if they will do OK with Android (requires top-quality H/W which they can do) or make an attempt to disrupt with new tech or an alternative OS (webOS being the obvious candidate). Dropping Android straight out would be suicide, but offering a webOS alternative... well, we've all discussed this often.

It seems that Google have made a smart move. They've ditched their OEM in return for Samsung ditching their skin and slowing if not stopping a potentially competing OS. This ensures Android (therefore Google) dominance. I would not be surprised to see some similar sweetener offered to LG to drop any webOS mobile plans and they will have to decide to follow the herd or take a risk. I think there remains room for a third player. I guess it's Windows phone now, Blackberry's probably gone. It might be Ubuntu, could be Sailfish (they seem to have momentuum). It might just be webOS. But see above. Google might make it comfortable for LG to stick with Android. If Samsung were using Tizen as a bargaining chip, LG might do the same with webOS on mobile, but their market share makes it less of a threat than a Samsung backed OS).

Last edited by Preemptive; 01/30/2014 at 10:17 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ewl88 likes this.
Old 01/30/2014, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
google realising that even with their own hardware manufacturers their still nobodys in the hardware world, seems fairly natural they would extend their hands to the "top" of their android hardware world.
True. Motorola made good phones, but only Samsung are making real money. Why compete with a company that's already delivering your (real) product for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
tbh tho if LG can pull things off with enyo and get traction for devs and get the word out that enyo apps will work on pretty much any device they can end up with a much better userbase than all the others, i mean all the others if you want one app u like, you buy it for say iphone, then u need to buy again an ipad version, an android version, sometimes a HD variant for android tablet, then theres microsofts apps etc, it all mounts up.

But if/when users find word that their LG apps can work on any device they own, regardless of OS or device then LG could profit in the long run, as ppl do like to save themselves some $$/ and people wouldnt feel trapped into 1 os marketplace as their apps follow them even if they switched from an apple product to android to webOS to microsuck etc.
That's good for developers - making for easy deployment and therefore good for platforms in terms of getting apps, but I expect you will have to pay for each platform version - not a big deal unless you change OS a lot. Most people don't, so I doubt that will be a factor. Maybe some devs could make that offer... Also, some apps will NEED to be native (but I heard that porting iOS apps was supposed to be sort of easy... is that right?)

Regarding HP, I think they DID try, but they got hung up on the potential of webOS rather than the reality of the market place. For people to appreciate it, they have to first use (i.e. buy it). They failed to spend, market & price it properly and at that point, I think it's true that the sheer amount of money they needed to spend to push webOS was daunting. Microsoft are still a long way back in 3rd place and they've spent... $$$?
Old 01/31/2014, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

What's your view?

Google sells Motorola to Lenovo:
BBC News - Google sells Motorola Mobility unit to Lenovo for $3bn

Google supposedly will stop with the Nexus line:
Google Reportedly Stops the Nexus Line in 2015 | ETrade Supply Blog | Cellphone News & Repair Tips from the #1 Parts Supplier

Samsung will "reduce bloatware in it's TouchSkin"-skin:
After Google Pressure, Samsung Will Dial Back Android Tweaks, Homegrown Apps | Re/code

Google & Samsung sign global patent deal:
BBC News - Google and Samsung sign global patent deal

Samsung supposedly stops Tizen development for phones:
Eldar Murtazin - Samsung will stop Developing Tizen for SmartphonesTizen Experts

Samsung supposedly will be allowed to release more "Google Play Edition" devices as well.

This means that the ties between Samsung and Google only get stronger and stronger.

I hate to sound negative, but it looks like a Google/Android monopoly in the future to me.
purplepansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2014, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I hate to even mention this, but I think a key factor for LG even looking at developing webOS on phones would be for them to have a HUGE app base out of the gate. Which... would/could be where a company like OM could make a huge chunk of cash if they could get ACL up and running smoothly. OM says that they had a deal with HP to develop their software before the Apothoclypse happened. If OM can get ACL running and market it to LG, it would be a very strong reason to look at webOS. But they have to fulfill their promises to us first. /2 cents

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: TheStigOnline
Old 02/01/2014, 04:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

The recent sale of Motorola & compromise of Google & Samsung do indeed seem to be locking in Android. The market appears to be consolidating. If webOS is to make a come back on mobile, it will be a long road. But to some extent, we don't need webOS to 'successful', as just need it to be functional: A workable port & an app-catalogue that can handle payments as an incentive to developers. I think people are starting to see that phones don't need to be ever bigger & thinner & app quality is more important than quantity.
Old 02/01/2014, 04:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I hate to even mention this, but I think a key factor for LG even looking at developing webOS on phones would be for them to have a HUGE app base out of the gate. Which... would/could be where a company like OM could make a huge chunk of cash if they could get ACL up and running smoothly. OM says that they had a deal with HP to develop their software before the Apothoclypse happened. If OM can get ACL running and market it to LG, it would be a very strong reason to look at webOS. But they have to fulfill their promises to us first. /2 cents
Well OM isn't the only company out there. BB and Jolla don't use them. And with Samsung killing Tizen for mobile OM just pretty much lost their main lifeline!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/01/2014 at 01:09 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2014, 04:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Oh yeah! I forgot that aspect. OM may find webOS is the only game in town - again. The Russian Android in a card project might be an option (will need lots of work), but if not,... Alien Dalvik.

Note that google are developing a new app runtime to replace Dalvik, so an opportunity window may close in a few years. I'm betting it won't be OSS.
Old 02/01/2014, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Goodbye Dalvik? Android code commit makes ART runtime the default - Liliputing
Old 02/02/2014, 09:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Actually, looking at the article posted above, it seems that there may not be any immediate effect on app coding - it's merely the way ART handles the code in comparison to Dalvik. Therefore an Android app is an Android app.

However, it is unlikely that there will be any further development of Dalvik by Google. Whether or not a significant performance gap will appear is hard to guess. Also, it's possible ART may be developed in such a way that means apps have to be updated - like the change from Mojo to Enyo on webOS.

None of this will matter if ART is open-source and can be ported like Dalvik, but Google's recent develpment of Google play services suggest it may not be.

Even the worst case scenario will take at least a couple of years to play out. In that time webOS will either have made a come back or will be irrelevant as it's features are replicated and the hardware finally dies. The worst case scenario will also affect ACL & the Alien Dalvik project - unless they develop the OSS code themselves or come up with an alternative.

That's my best guess.