webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Galaxy Nexus port
Galaxy Nexus port
Like Tree4Likes

Old 01/11/2014, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

I know that I am going to get slammed,but.......

Does anyone have an opinion about when webos will hit beta?

I hate android and have been hoping and wishing to get back to webos. I was excited t see that my phone was the development platform,but progress seems sporadic .

Obviously ,if I could help,I would .i tried to do some graphics resizing for the project ,but wasn't successful .

Just thought that I would ring the forbidden bell.
22350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2014, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

They need more devs that's forsure. If this project was going on in 2009 I'm sure mih more progress would been done. But these days I don't think webOS is the main priority for most people/devs. They stated not to buy these phones in hoping that it will get ported for daily use. If they dont have it in the next week or so. Just wait longer. Haha
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2014, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
They need more devs that's forsure. If this project was going on in 2009 I'm sure mih more progress would been done. But these days I don't think webOS is the main priority for most people/devs. They stated not to buy these phones in hoping that it will get ported for daily use. If they dont have it in the next week or so. Just wait longer. Haha
webOS was open sourced in September 2012. The Ports team has been working on the port since then. After Alpha 2 was released back in June 2013 and the team was running into too many issues with LunaSysMgr (mainly graphics acceleration, but also lots of legacy code), they decided to rewrite it from scratch using new technologies (QT5, WebKit2 etc). Progress for this has been solid and steady every week, but since it's a volunteer project, real life often gets in the way.

The current Nexus build has some stability/boot problems due to problems with the kernel which comes from Cyanogenmod. The issue has been located and the team is looking to switch to AOSP kernel to solve the current issues with the Nexus stability.

A lot of things already work and lot still not... Various developers have been working on different bits (Core OS: QT5, WebKit 2, Luna Next, Kernel, integration of parts from other projects (Ubuntu, Mer/Sailfish/Jolla). App rewrites in Enyo 2: Contacts app, Memo app, File manager, PDF app, Preware 2, CalDAV/CardDAV sync etc).

The team is still looking for a developer who could work on a phone app and/or messaging app for example
Old 01/11/2014, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
webOS was open sourced in September 2012. The Ports team has been working on the port since then. After Alpha 2 was released back in June 2013 and the team was running into too many issues with LunaSysMgr (mainly graphics acceleration, but also lots of legacy code), they decided to rewrite it from scratch using new technologies (QT5, WebKit2 etc). Progress for this has been solid and steady every week, but since it's a volunteer project, real life often gets in the way.

The current Nexus build has some stability/boot problems due to problems with the kernel which comes from Cyanogenmod. The issue has been located and the team is looking to switch to AOSP kernel to solve the current issues with the Nexus stability.

A lot of things already work and lot still not... Various developers have been working on different bits (Core OS: QT5, WebKit 2, Luna Next, Kernel, integration of parts from other projects (Ubuntu, Mer/Sailfish/Jolla). App rewrites in Enyo 2: Contacts app, Memo app, File manager, PDF app, Preware 2, CalDAV/CardDAV sync etc).

The team is still looking for a developer who could work on a phone app and/or messaging app for example
Thanks, that is good information. It is nice to actually have an idea of what's going on.

I wish that I had the skills to do those apps. I would jump on to help in a second.

Would love to see this get to a working state, because I think that a beta would trigger all sorts of developers into porting the os to all sorts of phones.

This os still kicks the **** of android, maybe with the cyanogenmod kernel, there could be some application compatibility.
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 01/11/2014, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
yea, i didn't buy the phone because of their development.
Old 01/12/2014, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

@Herrie
thanks for the update. I guess the same is true for the Nexus 7 port, isn't it?

When they're finished with the 'Alpha 3', can we expect a port for the Nexus 7 2013 as well? Or is it safer to buy a Nexus 7 2012 device now, if i want to use webos ports?
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2014, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

For those so inclined, the webOS-ports wiki does have info on how to port to other devices.

It appears to this layman's eyes, that the intention is to create a webOS that can utilize kernels like cyanogenmod's. If the GNex proof of concept soars, it may be possible to port open webOS ports to devices in the CM portfolio.

But hey, I could be wrong...
Old 01/13/2014, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
@Herrie
thanks for the update. I guess the same is true for the Nexus 7 port, isn't it?

When they're finished with the 'Alpha 3', can we expect a port for the Nexus 7 2013 as well? Or is it safer to buy a Nexus 7 2012 device now, if i want to use webos ports?
The Nexus 7 2012 is currently the only supported tablet by the team. AFAIK there are no plans for the 2013 version yet (I asked the same a while back). That doesn't stop you from doing it yourself of course with the guide on the wiki.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Herrie; 01/13/2014 at 02:36 AM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2014, 02:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
For those so inclined, the webOS-ports wiki does have info on how to port to other devices.

It appears to this layman's eyes, that the intention is to create a webOS that can utilize kernels like cyanogenmod's. If the GNex proof of concept soars, it may be possible to port open webOS ports to devices in the CM portfolio.

But hey, I could be wrong...
Yes correct, theoretically it should run on any Android device (that could include the Touchpad (4G) )
Old 01/15/2014, 06:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
For me developing for open webOS still is my main priority... but it does not get me money, food or a place to live, so I have to care for my day job, too and also for my wife..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22350 View Post
yea, i didn't buy the phone because of their development.
So did I back then... and my GNex is not used much today, which is sad. That's true...
Currently the latest image won't even boot on a GNex... hopefully that will change soon. Then something people with a (probably spare? Or dual booting?) GNex can do is test things... because devs don't like testing... something that might be helpful is going through the bugs on the ports bugtracker from time to time and see if they are still relevant or can be closed.

But you'll need some profound knowledge about the system for that, too.. I fear.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Preemptive likes this.
Old 01/15/2014, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

We still need people who can help out with graphics recreation as well. HP only open sourced PNG's made for Touchpad 1024*768 resolution but no source documents from Photoshop/Illustrator.

So in order to support current and future resolutions these graphics would need to be recreated in Photoshop/Illustartor/Sketch in 4* the resolution that HP released them in so it can be used up to 4k screens :-)

I know my way around a lot of things but graphics design is not my thing, so any help that anyone could offer with this is very welcome!

Old 01/15/2014, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
We still need people who can help out with graphics recreation as well. HP only open sourced PNG's made for Touchpad 1024*768 resolution but no source documents from Photoshop/Illustrator.

So in order to support current and future resolutions these graphics would need to be recreated in Photoshop/Illustartor/Sketch in 4* the resolution that HP released them in so it can be used up to 4k screens :-)

I know my way around a lot of things but graphics design is not my thing, so any help that anyone could offer with this is very welcome!

Where can I find those source png's?
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2014, 01:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Where can I find those source png's?
I'm updating the wiki to have everything there, will then go through with the Ports guys (morphis & Tofe) to see what we can deprecate and work can start :-)

Old 01/20/2014, 01:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

I like to see Nexus 2013 supported it was a very popular and high spec tablet. Looking forward to updated guide.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2014, 12:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

just checking in again...... phone in standby to dump android........
Old 07/06/2014, 02:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
just checking in again...... phone in standby to dump android........
There are weekly builds available on the server, lots has been done, so you're welcome to check it out :-) Recently one of our devs has been working on the phone app. It's not ready and working fully yet, but the start is there :-)

Old 07/06/2014, 11:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
There are weekly builds available on the server, lots has been done, so you're welcome to check it out :-) Recently one of our devs has been working on the phone app. It's not ready and working fully yet, but the start is there :-)

I love the idea of trying, but there is no hardware acceleration, data, or telephone.

If I could dual boot and playing with it would help, I would jump in.

I was just hoping a beta would have been closer. Not complaining, as couldn't do it.

Hope it happens
Old 07/06/2014, 04:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Is there anything that non developers can do to help with this project? I am not sure how active this project is but would love to see it completed. I would be happy to donate equipment, funds, phones, etc.
adebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2014, 05:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

In my thread, I discuss how one can use CWM to have a LuneOS and android recovery allowing back and forth switching.

Quote:
I love the idea of trying, but there is no hardware acceleration, data, or telephone.

I was just hoping a beta would have been closer. Not complaining, as couldn't do it.

Hope it happens
Old 07/12/2014, 05:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adebo View Post
Is there anything that non developers can do to help with this project? I am not sure how active this project is but would love to see it completed. I would be happy to donate equipment, funds, phones, etc.
Hm.. one thing that I hate to do (as dev) is to go through issues and see if they are still there:
Ports - Issues - webOS Ports
That's one thing that a non dev could do.. although some knowledge of the system would be good to understand what some of the stuff is saying.
Just one example. Another example is what Herrie is doing, writing down instructions, working on the wiki.

Quote:

Hope it happens
Hardware accelaration should be there.. at least on real devices. Emulator is slow as hell. :-/ But GNex feels quite fluid. :-)
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Thanked By: Grabber5.0