webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Should We Diffrientiate Open webOS from LG's webOS
Should We Diffrientiate Open webOS from LG's webOS
Like Tree16Likes

Old 01/06/2014, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Now that LG has unvielled it's vision for the future of webOS should we diffrientiate Open webOS? Maybe we could create a new name for Webos ports' builds and give that operating system a new name. We could set up a consumer based site that's more easy to use than the ports wiki and start seperating. I thing LG did a great job making webOS fit for the TV but they dont seem to be taking the route most of us want for the future of our OS. Does anyone think we should rename it and start new?
railbear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by railbear007 View Post
Now that LG has unvielled it's vision for the future of webOS should we diffrientiate Open webOS? Maybe we could create a new name for Webos ports' builds and give that operating system a new name. We could set up a consumer based site that's more easy to use than the ports wiki and start seperating. I thing LG did a great job making webOS fit for the TV but they dont seem to be taking the route most of us want for the future of our OS. Does anyone think we should rename it and start new?
There is definitely a fork for LG webOS (which builds on legacy, if I'm not mistaken) that is distinctly separate from Open webOS.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by railbear007 likes this.
Old 01/06/2014, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you have more info on the fork Rumorednow? It sounds interesting since its based on legacy
Old 01/06/2014, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Didn't know open webOS was yours to rename. The more webOS out there the better.
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2014, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
Didn't know open webOS was yours to rename. The more webOS out there the better.
I agree. Isn't it already differentiated by the word "Open"?
Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MartinH@webos likes this.
Old 01/06/2014, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I was just throwing this out as an option it was an idea that came to me so I thought i'd tell everyone, if no one likes it im more than ok throwing the idea away :-) I dont like upsetting people I do whatever I can to keep the world happy.
Liked by Greg Mair likes this.
Old 01/06/2014, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well even if we dont change the name I still think we should create a new website for the project as I dont think LG is going to continue pushing updates like Open webOS 2.0 and make a new logo and stuff like that
Liked by Greg Mair likes this.
Old 01/06/2014, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by railbear007 View Post
I was just throwing this out as an option it was an idea that came to me so I thought i'd tell everyone, if no one likes it im more than ok throwing the idea away :-) I dont like upsetting people I do whatever I can to keep the world happy.
Hey hey, wasn't trying to be rude, just stating that you can't rename something that is not yours..

my guess is anything that LG does with a phone will be behind doors until it's ready for release, Then they'd do a big push in open source.

I kinda like the no leaks kinda thing. I hated seeing webos on hardware 6 months before you could even buy the thing. I'm hoping these tv's come out soon to a bestbuy new me so I can touch it (but not buy it). haha.
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: railbear007
Old 01/06/2014, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey hey, wasn't trying to be rude, just stating that you can't rename something that is not yours..

my guess is anything that LG does with a phone will be behind doors until it's ready for release, Then they'd do a big push in open source.

I kinda like the no leaks kinda thing. I hated seeing webos on hardware 6 months before you could even buy the thing. I'm hoping these tv's come out soon to a bestbuy new me so I can touch it (but not buy it). haha.
Yeah I want to do the same thing unless someone gives me a 100,000$ donation so I could buy one :-)
Old 01/07/2014, 01:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Probably one should find a decent name for webos ports webOS, because it is very different from Open webOS now (at least the UI part, but that also has some consequences on to the apps). Don't know how different LG webOS really is from legacy or open webOS.
Actually the differences between open webOS and legacy webOS are not that big. Mostly only some components where updated or swapped for newer stuff... and some stuff is gone that was not possible to open source. But there are even old webOS bugs in there.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 02:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Splintering is exactly what a near dead OS doesn't need.
So far my 2 cents.

If everyone pulls in a different direction, we go nowhere.
Old 01/07/2014, 06:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

They have their own forum:

LG webOS | webOS Forum for webOS Devices
stevenlcroucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 06:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

its fine their totally seperated, their for totally different devices/experiences anyways.
Old 01/07/2014, 11:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

I see all webOS devices at igwebos forum.
Old 01/07/2014, 11:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Probably one should find a decent name for webos ports webOS, because it is very different from Open webOS now (at least the UI part, but that also has some consequences on to the apps). Don't know how different LG webOS really is from legacy or open webOS.
Actually the differences between open webOS and legacy webOS are not that big. Mostly only some components where updated or swapped for newer stuff... and some stuff is gone that was not possible to open source. But there are even old webOS bugs in there.
I had a look at the Open webOS website. Even though the webOS tv has been released, there has been no comment on their blog since February last year. I hear that the rate of code contribution from LG has slowed - possibly due to the deadline pressure of CES.

My feeling is that if it continues at all, Open webOS will become like the Android Open Source Project (AOSP). It will be the basis for any number of OS versions rather than a deployed OS in itself. How far Open webOS develops is essentially in the hands of LG. Clearly, LG webOS is a fork of Open and possibly, Legacy webOS. webOS-Ports is also a fork of Open webOS.

A possible concern (but it's WAAY too early to worry) is that LG will release an 'LG mobile webOS' phone and possibly follow Google's path of gradually closing off code, when the work of the ports team could be integrated and combined with that of LG's engineers to produce at least a common 'core' of a webOS mobile OS. The latter approach could bring the kind of popularity that Android currently enjoys, but too much forking could also bring Android's fragmentation problem.

I can see the attraction to Google of closing up Android now it is dominant - the control of fragmentation is one benefit and it enables Google to become more like Apple with the advantage of all the existing services and data mining that derive from it's search dominance. However, manufacturers like Samsung & LG have built their mobile businesses on Android and see the threat. The danger is that in becoming more like Apple, Google also may lose market share as it is essentially Google/Motorola. Other manufacturers (Samsung is the biggest) may be forced to go elsewhere. Samsung have Tizen as a parachute. It makes sense for LG to have webOS. Both are OSS.

But regardless of speculation about the future of mobile and of an LG webOS phone, webOS HAS been Open-sourced and IS available to anyone who wants to use it. That's not a small project, but it is a possible one.

Finally, Open webOS-ports OS has essentially been named after the group working on it. I don't know if they even intended it or if there is some internal code-name for it, but I agree the name for the current system is ungainly. If the Ports team is willing, perhaps there could be a competition to come up with a new name when Alpha 3 is out. Maybe on these forums or through pivotCE.

Quick list:
Palm webOS
HP webOS
Open webOS
webOS-Ports
LG webOS

There's a little tradition of the Community Edition, so you could have:
CE webOS (though easily confused with Consumer Electronics - which is what it will be on, so maybe that's not bad, but... Windows CE?)

But of, course a name can be anything you like and doesn't have to include webOS at all.
Old 01/07/2014, 11:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
I see all webOS devices at igwebos forum.
LGwebOS.com or 'Lets Go webOS' is not an LG website. The forums are pretty dead - in fact most posts are from the admin.

Call me cynical, but it appears to be someone hoping to claim cash from LG for the domain. It used to be called something else, I can't remember now. Maybe that's just moving with the times (Precentral -> webOS Nation), maybe not.

I notice that although we refer to LG webOS, LG seems to actually be using it as seperate branding. If you think about it, there was Palm with PalmOS & webOS, HP webOS, now LG webOS, but LG bought webOS - it's all the same webOS - if developed a bit. I see from the pics that the TV podiums all just say 'webOS'.
Old 01/07/2014, 12:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher View Post
They have their own forum:

LG webOS | webOS Forum for webOS Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
LGwebOS.com or 'Lets Go webOS' is not an LG website. The forums are pretty dead - in fact most posts are from the admin.

Call me cynical, but it appears to be someone hoping to claim cash from LG for the domain. It used to be called something else, I can't remember now. Maybe that's just moving with the times (Precentral -> webOS Nation), maybe not...

I'll second Preemptive on this. We saw this forum pop up here (via web searches) immediately after LG bought webOS code and licensing. Seems to be that I remember them having two previous names... WhoIs shows the site as being open since 18 Aug, 2011 and they still only have 49 members. Definitely not an official effort by LG.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Garfonso likes this.
Old 01/07/2014, 07:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
I had a look at the Open webOS website. Even though the webOS tv has been released, there has been no comment on their blog since February last year. I hear that the rate of code contribution from LG has slowed - possibly due to the deadline pressure of CES.

My feeling is that if it continues at all, Open webOS will become like the Android Open Source Project (AOSP). It will be the basis for any number of OS versions rather than a deployed OS in itself. How far Open webOS develops is essentially in the hands of LG. Clearly, LG webOS is a fork of Open and possibly, Legacy webOS. webOS-Ports is also a fork of Open webOS.

A possible concern (but it's WAAY too early to worry) is that LG will release an 'LG mobile webOS' phone and possibly follow Google's path of gradually closing off code, when the work of the ports team could be integrated and combined with that of LG's engineers to produce at least a common 'core' of a webOS mobile OS. The latter approach could bring the kind of popularity that Android currently enjoys, but too much forking could also bring Android's fragmentation problem.

I can see the attraction to Google of closing up Android now it is dominant - the control of fragmentation is one benefit and it enables Google to become more like Apple with the advantage of all the existing services and data mining that derive from it's search dominance. However, manufacturers like Samsung & LG have built their mobile businesses on Android and see the threat. The danger is that in becoming more like Apple, Google also may lose market share as it is essentially Google/Motorola. Other manufacturers (Samsung is the biggest) may be forced to go elsewhere. Samsung have Tizen as a parachute. It makes sense for LG to have webOS. Both are OSS.

But regardless of speculation about the future of mobile and of an LG webOS phone, webOS HAS been Open-sourced and IS available to anyone who wants to use it. That's not a small project, but it is a possible one.

Finally, Open webOS-ports OS has essentially been named after the group working on it. I don't know if they even intended it or if there is some internal code-name for it, but I agree the name for the current system is ungainly. If the Ports team is willing, perhaps there could be a competition to come up with a new name when Alpha 3 is out. Maybe on these forums or through pivotCE.

Quick list:
Palm webOS
HP webOS
Open webOS
webOS-Ports
LG webOS

There's a little tradition of the Community Edition, so you could have:
CE webOS (though easily confused with Consumer Electronics - which is what it will be on, so maybe that's not bad, but... Windows CE?)

But of, course a name can be anything you like and doesn't have to include webOS at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Does anyone know how to contact the ports team about this? A contest I think would be a good idea because all these different branches and versions of the same thing are a tad confusing so maybe a completely different name might be the best idea... I dunno it depends on what the whole community thinks
Old 01/07/2014, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Also if any of the ports guys want my help organizing a contest and getting it publicized some ill be happy to help

Last edited by railbear007; 01/07/2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01/07/2014, 09:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

First thing I'd ask is if they even want to entertain such a thing. Ideas like this should come from those doing the work.

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote