webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Should We Diffrientiate Open webOS from LG's webOS
Should We Diffrientiate Open webOS from LG's webOS
Like Tree16Likes

Old 01/07/2014, 11:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
First thing I'd ask is if they even want to entertain such a thing. Ideas like this should come from those doing the work.
It may be that webOS-Ports are happy to use that designation for their product or it may be that they have some other cool sounding name for it already. That is of course, their choice.

But, if they think of giving a particular name to this release and have nothing in particular in mind - a competition is fun, generates interest and can often produce pretty good ideas. They have already run a competition for an image. You may also remember that webOS onTap ran a competititon. Homebrew Pivot ready for a name [poll] | webOS Nation

It's just an idea. The ports team may like it or not - it's entirely up to them.
Thanked By: railbear007
Old 01/07/2014, 11:08 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
It may be that webOS-Ports are happy to use that designation for their product or it may be that they have some other cool sounding name for it already. That is of course, their choice.

But, if they think of giving a particular name to this release and have nothing in particular in mind - a competition is fun, generates interest and can often produce pretty good ideas. They have already run a competition for an image. You may also remember that webOS onTap ran a competititon. Homebrew Pivot ready for a name [poll] | webOS Nation

It's just an idea. The ports team may like it or not - it's entirely up to them.
I agree with Preemptive it should be up to them. I sent a tweet to @webosports asking them to swing by if they want to come check out this tread.
railbear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2014, 11:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

Also preemptive, I hope your ok with me using a bean bird as my avatar too... if you dont like it ill be happy to change it
Old 01/07/2014, 11:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

IMHO...

i've always differentiated between webOS and OWOS.

it's definitely up to the developers to name their projects, not us spectators.

for ease of conversation though, which is all i think the OP was suggesting, we here on the forum can certainly agree on there being:
- legacy webOS - 1.x to 3.x on existing devices
- LG webOS - announced at CES this week
- OWOS - the foundation code that Ports is working to adapt to Android environment.
- webOS CE - Ports build that brings LunaCE to the TP

Please advise if i'm OVERsimplifying this.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2014, 12:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
IMHO...

for ease of conversation though, which is all i think the OP was suggesting, we here on the forum can certainly agree on there being:
- OWOS - the foundation code that Ports is working to adapt to Android environment.

I don't know if LunaCE counts as the whole OS and you missed out webOS-Ports (as it is called!) which I understand to be essentially a fork of Open webOS.

Open webOS will run on a Linux PC - which isn't much good for a mobile OS. The amount of work the Ports team has had to put in - not to mention the whole libhybris thing - to get webOS back onto mobile has meant significant code changes...

Last edited by Preemptive; 01/08/2014 at 12:45 AM.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: TJs11thPre
Old 01/08/2014, 12:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by railbear007 View Post
Also preemptive, I hope your ok with me using a bean bird as my avatar too... if you dont like it ill be happy to change it
I neither invented nor own Bean Bird! ;-) Do what you like.

I did start a Bean Bird fan club thread! I expect to split the community down the middle into lovers & haters. ;-o
Old 01/08/2014, 03:04 AM   #27 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
IMHO...

LunaCE is only a modified version of the open sourced 3.0.5 LunaSysMgr.

webOS Ports Open webOS is indeed a long name and actually a fork of Open webOS with a rewritten LunaSysMgr called Luna Next. Discussions are ongoing behind the screens about a more proper name for this for a while already. An announcement will be made in due course by the Ports team.

Last edited by Herrie; 01/08/2014 at 03:19 AM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and railbear007 like this.
Old 01/09/2014, 01:35 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know if LunaCE counts as the whole OS and you missed out webOS-Ports (as it is called!) which I understand to be essentially a fork of Open webOS.
sorry, i didn't mean to suggest that webOS CE was something significantly more unique than original webOS with the LunaCE customizations. (which is what i read and hopefully interpreted right)
Quote:
Open webOS will run on a Linux PC - which isn't much good for a mobile OS. The amount of work the Ports team has had to put in - not to mention the whole libhybris thing - to get webOS back onto mobile has meant significant code changes...
i didn't know how to describe the Ports product, other than not referring to it as simply OWOS, which would be incorrect. Hopefully someday there will be a consumer-grade product to load onto a Droid device. If so, would it be called webOS Ports? this may be our best hope for a 4G webOS experience. (or is that off-mark?)
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 06:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
sorry, i didn't mean to suggest that webOS CE was something significantly more unique than original webOS with the LunaCE customizations. (which is what i read and hopefully interpreted right)

i didn't know how to describe the Ports product, other than not referring to it as simply OWOS, which would be incorrect. Hopefully someday there will be a consumer-grade product to load onto a Droid device. If so, would it be called webOS Ports? this may be our best hope for a 4G webOS experience. (or is that off-mark?)
I think the chance of an LG webOS phone is better than ever. But that doesn't mean it will actually happen.

So, the Porting team remain our best hope - they are the only ones I know of working to get webOS on new hardware. I guess depending on libhybris drivers, LTE may be available 'out of the box' on the Gnex. If not, I suspect that if the ports team deliver something with basic functionality, there are plenty of people who will start offering additional code to add features - just like on the original products.
Old 01/09/2014, 12:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
I think the chance of an LG webOS phone is better than ever. But that doesn't mean it will actually happen.

So, the Porting team remain our best hope - they are the only ones I know of working to get webOS on new hardware. I guess depending on libhybris drivers, LTE may be available 'out of the box' on the Gnex. If not, I suspect that if the ports team deliver something with basic functionality, there are plenty of people who will start offering additional code to add features - just like on the original products.
LTE is not available, hardware wise, on the Galaxy Nexus.

An LTE radio is built into the Nexus 4, but it never passed certification with any gov't agency. There are hacks to enable LTE on the Nexus 4. As they are not strictly legal to run, I doubt Ports would use them if/when they move on to the N4 for a webOS port.

You have to advance to Nexus 5 for LTE.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2014, 07:26 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
LTE is not available, hardware wise, on the Galaxy Nexus.

An LTE radio is built into the Nexus 4, but it never passed certification with any gov't agency. There are hacks to enable LTE on the Nexus 4. As they are not strictly legal to run, I doubt Ports would use them if/when they move on to the N4 for a webOS port.

You have to advance to Nexus 5 for LTE.
as LTE works?

Enviado desde mi Wildfire S usando Tapatalk 2
joshua764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2014, 09:17 AM   #32 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Oh, I looked here:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 - Full phone specifications

I was surprised to see 4G in a phone that's a bit older, so maybe it's an error.
Old 01/10/2014, 11:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua764 View Post
as LTE works?

Enviado desde mi Wildfire S usando Tapatalk 2
I'm not sure what the question is directed at...

Quote:
Oh, I looked here:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 - Full phone specifications

I was surprised to see 4G in a phone that's a bit older, so maybe it's an error.
That LTE 2300/2400 band is type 30/40 which has very few deployments worldwide. Technically there is LTE for certain Galaxy Nexus variants (if you can find one), but effectively your LTE coverage would be limited to small parts of Russia, India and Australia - plus places like Hong Kong, Oman, Sri Lanka and Saudi Arabia. That's some pretty specific areas.

The theory behind type 30/40 inclusion might have been based on AT&T having rights to type 30 in the US. They never deployed for LTE on that spectrum though.

E-UTRA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 01/10/2014, 08:42 PM   #34 (permalink)

I got in contact with the ports guys and they said this" <+rwhitby> railbear007_: there is already a name chosen for alpha 3. thanks for thinking of ways to get the community more engaged.
[18:15] <+rwhitby> (the name is to be released at the same time as the code)"
I'm excited! Hope its a name that can be branded well
Old 01/10/2014, 09:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

I gave up my Pre3 for a GNex over a year ago now. While I am excited for LG webOS, I committed to open webOS (ports) early and I have fun testing whatever they release.

And I get to learn something in the process.
Old 01/11/2014, 12:35 AM   #36 (permalink)

maybe can we have a contest for the name n a logo? lol
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote