webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Confirmed LG Smart TV with webOS for voice/gesture recognition.
Confirmed LG Smart TV with webOS for voice/gesture recognition.
Like Tree15Likes

Old 12/21/2013, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

Confirmed LG Smart TV with webOS for voice/gesture recognition.

I don`t know why on LGNewsRoom in English the same Press Release differs from the LGNewsroomKorean , because in the first in English doesn`t mention nothign about webOS directly just as NEW OS but on the Korean version it does say WebOS, and it is more specific.

So the point is the LG Smart TV with the NEW OS to show in the upcoming Jan 7-10 CES 2014 in Las Vegas, that OS is webOS and will allow voice and gesture recognition.

Here the Press Release on The LG Newsroom in Korean Translated using Google:

LG Electronics Smart TV with 'voice and gesture recognition capabilities' (Advanced Speech and Finger Gesture Recognition Smart TV) has obtained certification for the first time in the world.

LG Electronics and LG Electronics UL Korea for the past nine days in the R & D center in Gangnam officials gathered 'Smart TV with voice and gesture recognition capabilities' certificate presentation ceremony held.

Smart TV voice and gesture recognition capabilities authentication 'is a certification authority UL (Underwriter Laboratories) is the verification of the performance and progress, and voice / gesture recognition features for ease of user-friendly, intuitive, accurate, and evaluated.

This certification is a speech / gesture recognition is available in all 'LG Smart TV' is applied. LG Electronics is scheduled for release next year, Web OS (webOS) based smart TV, is a voice / gesture recognition is expected to feature.

UL (Underwriter Laboratories) is based in Chicago, USA is the safety certification organization. In addition to safety certification, environmental certification, performance, certification, with energy certification are also carried out. Installation of more than 200 centers around the world and operates.

Managing Director of LG Electronics, HE UX yidojun charge "of voice, gesture recognition capabilities of the world's first certified proved the superiority of LG Smart TV," said "an easy and convenient Smart TV market will continue to lead the initiative to continue," he said.

Source LG Newsroom in Korean: LG 스마트 TV, 세계최초 음성/동작인식기능 인증 | Social LG*자

LG NewsRoom English: LG Newsroom

before post: Finally: Ces 2014 and Apps World SF

Last edited by akitayo; 12/21/2013 at 08:13 PM.
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, creepycat and RumoredNow like this.
Old 12/21/2013, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

oh very nice, first i/we hear of he voice work?

really do hope they get somewhere with it.
Old 12/21/2013, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
oh very nice, first i/we hear of he voice work?

really do hope they get somewhere with it.
I was wondering if they will come with some kind of apps surprises like maybe some games to work with those features?
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/22/2013, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

We're living in interesting times.

The difference between 1984 and current reality?
Reality is more colorful, has better food and we dont have to be forced to install TVs with cameras, that are connected to central networked locations that can be intercepted (strike that - we *know* that various government agencies collect internet traffic), we buy them ourselves.

Gesture regognition (be it by webos TV or Kinect) works by using cameras to track your movements.

Good thing computers are secure and never get compromised by criminals or governments or prankster hackers.
And the NSA has a solid history of abiding by laws and treasures the spirit of the constitution above all else.
Oh wait ...
Old 12/22/2013, 07:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I wonder if the gestures are done with something similar to the Leap! Motion Controller. My friend got one for her birthday, and it's super cool
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/22/2013, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Are you sure that the Korean document does not just refer to a web based OS rather than the official webOS?
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2013, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
Are you sure that the Korean document does not just refer to a web based OS rather than the official webOS?
No, the korean press release says Web OS (webOS) as you can see on the highlighted text. And if you just go to the korean site making no translation you can see clearly webOS on there:

http://social.lge.co.kr/newsroom/he/smarttv_1212/
Old 12/22/2013, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholap View Post
We're living in interesting times.

The difference between 1984 and current reality?
Reality is more colorful, has better food and we dont have to be forced to install TVs with cameras, that are connected to central networked locations that can be intercepted (strike that - we *know* that various government agencies collect internet traffic), we buy them ourselves.

Gesture regognition (be it by webos TV or Kinect) works by using cameras to track your movements.

Good thing computers are secure and never get compromised by criminals or governments or prankster hackers.
And the NSA has a solid history of abiding by laws and treasures the spirit of the constitution above all else.
Oh wait ...
With all the respect to someone might be concerned, I felt since the Sep 11 events , that the security agency any name, created THE CLOUD and it is no other thing that your information saved somewhere in a PC, smart TV etc You are observed and read everything you have there.

And if you don`t have a private internet IP I mean if it is Public someone can read or check your HD anytime.

In summary since then nothing connected to the internet, via any gadget is private at this time.

Have you experienced that your PC shutdown or restarts by its self??? I had.
Old 12/22/2013, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
I wonder if the gestures are done with something similar to the Leap! Motion Controller. My friend got one for her birthday, and it's super cool
IMHO it has to be better than Leap Motion Controller. This last is an gesture accesory https://store.leapmotion.com/(S(tmea...pSolution.aspx

For a smart TV it must be built in working with webOS gesture software.
Old 12/23/2013, 01:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
No, the korean press release says Web OS (webOS) as you can see on the highlighted text. And if you just go to the korean site making no translation you can see clearly webOS on there:

LG 스마트 TV, 세계최초 음성/동작인식기능 인증 | Social LG*자
Thanks. Pleased to hear that.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2013, 04:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Call me paranoid - we've been through a lot. Could the lack of WebOS mention mean either A) They don't want to scare any Americans off after what HP put WebOs through or B) That the WebOS interface is for the Korean market only and US TV's get stuck with their existing OS. I wish I knew Korean.
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2013, 06:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

oh great after gathering filenames and surfing habbits (LG Smart TVs phone home with viewing habits and USB file names | Naked Security) they are now scanning our living rooms and collecting our faces and gestures and all the private talk, just to recognise a buzz word or correct gesture to change a channel:

"OK webOS! Collect all my live and send me tons of ads and tickets for dirty talk"

under that perspective those scenes in "demolition man" ain't funny anymore.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2013, 08:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
Call me paranoid - we've been through a lot. Could the lack of WebOS mention mean either A) They don't want to scare any Americans off after what HP put WebOs through or B) That the WebOS interface is for the Korean market only and US TV's get stuck with their existing OS. I wish I knew Korean.
No Who wrote the english PR assumed webOS as NEW OS and no because LG smart webOS TV will be first presented at CES 2014 Las Vegas USA
Old 12/23/2013, 11:24 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
No Who wrote the english PR assumed webOS as NEW OS and no because LG smart webOS TV will be first presented at CES 2014 Las Vegas USA
well if anyone did hold HP's disaster in their minds, all they have to do is see it in the flesh so to speak on the day in question.

Derek/anyone nearby go watch their tv and give us a nostalgic rundown, also avoid urge to swipe their tv from bottom to top.

even if its changed drastically from what we know as long as the guts of it operate the same and it seems to work well, id consider that a decent story to watch/read.
Old 12/23/2013, 12:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
Derek/anyone nearby go watch their tv and give us a nostalgic rundown, also avoid urge to swipe their tv from bottom to top....
You could use a squeegee and clean the screen any time you eject an app!

(Actually, as my wife and I still have WebOS phones, I do find myself quite often flicking the screen up on various other devices - disappointingly, with no effect.)
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors, geekpeter and TUFF Stough like this.
Old 12/23/2013, 01:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post

(Actually, as my wife and I still have WebOS phones, I do find myself quite often flicking the screen up on various other devices - disappointingly, with no effect.)
yup, im bad for that as well, i eventually catch on and get annoyed, seemingly ive had a similar issue when using friends/familys laptops, ive found ive been using the pre3/touchpad so much and not my laptops that when i use other peoples laptops i catch myself trying to scroll or click things via the laptops screen, then feel a moron for thinking its touchscreen after ive briefly been confused why nothing happens.
Old 12/23/2013, 09:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
News Contributor

Updating the information from the Korea Times Technology News:

LG to unveil WebOS TV at ICES in January
By Kim Yoo-chul

LG Electronics will introduce its WebOS smart TV in an upcoming technology fair in the U.S. in January, a company executive said, Friday.

We will release a WebOS-powered connected TV at the upcoming International Consumer Electronics Show (ICES), said Hong Sung-pyo, researcher at LGs software platform lab, in a semiconductor event in Yangjae in southern Seoul. ICES is scheduled to be held in Las Vegas Jan. 5-12.

This is the first time that LG confirmed the release of its TV product based on WebOS, a Linux operating system for smart TVs initially developed by Palm, which was later acquired by Hewlett-Packard (HP).

Last February, LG acquired WebOS patents from HP of the United States and said that it was revamping the interface used by Palm and HP for phones and tablets.

LG Electronics is using the Netcast 4.0 platform for our smart TV operating system. We need an improvement and thats why weve decided to use the WebOS platform, Hong said.

LGs connected TVs based on the WebOS operating system will run a dual-core 2.2-gigahertz processor with 1.5 gigabyte DRAM chips, and is said to allow multitasking functionality.

The executive stressed that it is going to revive Palm/HPs Enyo development efforts. Enyo is an open-source JavaScript framework for cross-platform applications.

LG Electronics will ask third parties to develop applications using Enyo and meetings about the issue are arranged at ICES, said another LG official by telephone.

Source: LG to unveil WebOS TV at ICES in January
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 12/23/2013, 10:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post

And that's why I despise using my wife's ipad. Swiping is so intuitive I cannot believe no has stolen THAT aspect of WebOS...yet.
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2013, 12:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
And that's why I despise using my wife's ipad. Swiping is so intuitive I cannot believe no has stolen THAT aspect of WebOS...yet.
Turn on "multitasking gestures" in your iPad options. I actually like the iOS method for app switch and return to launcher better, except when i'm trying to hold something else in my swiping hand also. Ah, if only for multitasking. Or at least not having to restart every single app from the beginning, if it would at least resume where it left off, and do it quickly enough that i fail to notice that it's not multitasking.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2013, 08:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

interesting what lg's current magic remote does. It has already voice control. I've never tried it but seems reasonably intuitive. Would seem easier to make a pre3 -sized or 7 inch tablet device with no keyboard (or maybe keeping keyboard if phone sized) to be the full time remote. Just repackage it. Then the gestures would simply be webos gestures rather than the accelerometer/pointing device LG has now. Wouldn't that be funny if it took off and became popular and garnered awards?!
LG Magic Remote

LG Magic Remote
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote