webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Finally: Ces 2014 and Apps World SF
Finally: Ces 2014 and Apps World SF
Like Tree25Likes

Old 12/16/2013, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
News Contributor

Finally LG just got a global certification from UL Underwriters Laboratories who validated LG Electronics Premium Smart TV avanced speech and finger gesture recognition functions.

“Being the first to receive UL certificate of validation for Smart TV features is confirmation of our innovation’s uniqueness and innovation,” said Do-joon Lee, Vice President and head of the UX Division in LG’s Home Entertainment Company. “We are committed to advancing the Smart TV experience to bring greater convenience to people’s lives.”

The advanced speech and finger gesture recognition functions will be available starting in 2014 on LG Smart TV running the new operating system.

This NEW OS might be the recently LG acquired to HP, the Palm webOS, that was announced by LG will have in the next generation Smart TVs.

The finger gesture feature is also compatible with the built-in camera or LG’s plug-in camera accessory.

Visitors to the LG booth at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2014 in Las Vegas will have the opportunity to try out LG’s cutting-edge Smart TV technologies for themselves.

A little later LG will also show off that Premum Smart TVs in the Apps World to take place in SF posted on forums: Ex Palm dev Gray Norton on webOS TVS

Source: LG Newsroom
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, ewl88 and Pilotovef like this.
Old 12/16/2013, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
Finally LG just got a global certification from UL Underwriters Laboratories who validated LG Electronics Premium Smart TV avanced speech and finger gesture recognition functions.

“Being the first to receive UL certificate of validation for Smart TV features is confirmation of our innovation’s uniqueness and innovation,” said Do-joon Lee, Vice President and head of the UX Division in LG’s Home Entertainment Company. “We are committed to advancing the Smart TV experience to bring greater convenience to people’s lives.”

The advanced speech and finger gesture recognition functions will be available starting in 2014 on LG Smart TV running the new operating system.

This NEW OS might be the recently LG acquired to HP, the Palm webOS, that was announced by LG will have in the next generation Smart TVs.

The finger gesture feature is also compatible with the built-in camera or LG’s plug-in camera accessory.

Visitors to the LG booth at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2014 in Las Vegas will have the opportunity to try out LG’s cutting-edge Smart TV technologies for themselves.

A little later LG will also show off that Premum Smart TVs in the Apps World to take place in SF posted on forums: Ex Palm dev Gray Norton on webOS TVS

I guess I'm a bit confused at what a UL certification means in this context. As far as I know, Underwriters Laboratory tests devices for safety and functionality doesn't really come into play. They would test that the device is tested for appropriate failure modes so they would not endanger people directly or indirectly.

So, basically, having UL certification just means that the TV probably won't catch on fire or electrocute it's users. I can't even imagine how it being a smart or dumb device makes a difference (other than more connectors to test for UL compliance).
Old 12/16/2013, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
I guess I'm a bit confused at what a UL certification means in this context. As far as I know, Underwriters Laboratory tests devices for safety and functionality doesn't really come into play. They would test that the device is tested for appropriate failure modes so they would not endanger people directly or indirectly.

So, basically, having UL certification just means that the TV probably won't catch on fire or electrocute it's users. I can't even imagine how it being a smart or dumb device makes a difference (other than more connectors to test for UL compliance).
they must have tested the ability to safely swipe without poking yourself in the eye. otherwise it'd need a safety label for average consumers.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969 likes this.
Old 12/16/2013, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:

y'no im waiting for the irony to come full circle...

...i'm hoping these tvs use webOS so well that they become the most successful TVs ever sold, and users start saying "hey if only they made a phone like this" and we'll say "they did, four years ago!!"
Liked by ewl88, purplepansy, Garfonso and 2 others like this.
Old 12/16/2013, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post

UL.com

UL is a company who certifies standards. IMHO in the case of LG Premium Smart TV they are going beyond what we know at this time you can do on a Smart TV, any brand.

Avanced speech and finger gesture recognition functions and The finger gesture feature that is also compatible with the built-in camera or LG’s plug-in camera accessory, all of them make an standard and UL certifies the quality working of that standard features., or UL upgrades the standard with LG innovations that are not yet available in other Smart TV brands.

Last edited by akitayo; 12/17/2013 at 12:07 PM.
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/16/2013, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

OOOOOOOOO! This may be the start of something O.K.!
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/16/2013, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
News Contributor

I really hope so
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/16/2013, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I really hope so
me too!

because i am sincerely hoping, that webOS will completely revolutionize the television industry. i want it to impress tv purchasers even more than it has impressed us phone users. i want a giant corporation to finally give it huge financial support, and really take the OS to its potential which was never realized with Palm or HP.

imagine if there's actually solid hardware and thoroughly tested software, to avoid all of the mistakes that were allowed in the phone arena with the Pre's.

i hope LG sells a freakin zillion webOS tvs and everyone finally learns how great webOS is.

then i hope Leo and Meg get severe hemorrhoids so it hurts a lot when they each crap themselves over LG's success. (that's the meanest forum-safe thing i could think of)
Liked by Rnp and mattmers like this.
Old 12/16/2013, 11:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wonder if Derek is visiting CES and/or the Apps World thing in SF to cover for webosnation.com
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2013, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
News Contributor

I don`t know, we hope Derek will be there. However if not, are here some members who live in Las Vegas? To give us a tip about webOS with LG there. Thanks.

Home - 2014 International CES, January 7-10

Last edited by akitayo; 12/17/2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12/17/2013, 12:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
News Contributor

For to speculate A quote:

LG and Samsung to unveil flexible TVs?

Both LG and Samsung have been pegged to show off flexible OLED TV prototypes at CES, with one LG executive telling the Korea Times that the company's head of TV "will meet with clients and reporters ... and will promote something NEW " plus "unveil a remote bendable OLED TV that hasn't been seen before."

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Samsung's flexible TV is said to have a "huge" display, and it too will have a remote that controls its bends.

CES 2014: what to expect from the biggest tech show of the year | News | TechRadar

The source of that quote:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...33_147181.html

Last edited by akitayo; 12/17/2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12/17/2013, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
For to speculate A quote:

LG and Samsung to unveil flexible TVs?

Both LG and Samsung have been pegged to show off flexible OLED TV prototypes at CES, with one LG executive telling the Korea Times that the company's head of TV "will meet with clients and reporters ... and will promote something NEW " plus "unveil a remote bendable OLED TV that hasn't been seen before."

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Samsung's flexible TV is said to have a "huge" display, and it too will have a remote that controls its bends.

CES 2014: what to expect from the biggest tech show of the year | News | TechRadar

The source of that quote:
Samsung, LG to unveil flexible TVs
i dont understand the hype over flexible TV. i have never felt a need to bend my tv. i could see arcade games and digital media using it, not consumers though.

LG! make me a Pre4!!! lol
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/17/2013, 03:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
i dont understand the hype over flexible TV. i have never felt a need to bend my tv. i could see arcade games and digital media using it, not consumers though.

LG! make me a Pre4!!! lol
LG`s webOS bendable smartphone/tablet just fits in your shirt pocket. wow I want one already lol
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/17/2013, 07:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
me too!

because i am sincerely hoping, that webOS will completely revolutionize the television industry. i want it to impress tv purchasers even more than it has impressed us phone users. i want a giant corporation to finally give it huge financial support, and really take the OS to its potential which was never realized with Palm or HP.

imagine if there's actually solid hardware and thoroughly tested software, to avoid all of the mistakes that were allowed in the phone arena with the Pre's.

i hope LG sells a freakin zillion webOS tvs and everyone finally learns how great webOS is.

then i hope Leo and Meg get severe hemorrhoids so it hurts a lot when they each crap themselves over LG's success. (that's the meanest forum-safe thing i could think of)
LG smart tv's OS would have to be fluid and seamless with gestures and responses or it will fail. Yes hoping LG pulls it off. As a consumer company I think LG understands consumers needs (hopefully) esp tv owners. Fast boot up time (not too much longer than regular HD tv) and quick response.
I am not certain if average tv consumer will download apps from LG to play on tv. If you look at Xbox, PS, Ruku, it seems like most apps are mainstream big name apps like hulu, netlix, pandora. The game consoles have indie games of course and big professional titles but not utilities or homebrew apps. I don't know if people would download simpler but useful homebrew apps on a tv (smart or not). But maybe this next generation of tvs will change some people's minds including my own.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2013, 02:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Don't know if it's been posted again but:

LG's webOS TV will debut next month at CES | The Verge
Loiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by akitayo, TJs11thPre, mattmers and 1 others like this.
Old 12/19/2013, 02:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiter View Post

You beat me by 32 minutes lol.
This excited me:
Quote:
At today's Seoul event, Hong also said LG is going to revive Palm / HP's Enyo development efforts. Enyo is an open-source JavaScript framework for cross-platform applications, and it appears that LG will ask third parties to develop applications using Enyo.

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
Twitter: MatthewMers
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2013, 10:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
News Contributor

Using Google translate from the Korean original source: (posted as it came out)

LG Electronics 'Web OS' smart TV equipped held in Las Vegas early next year, the world's largest consumer electronics show CES 2014 look at the first line. In February, Hewlett-Packard (HP) from the Web OS just one year after the acquisition is the result came out. hongseongpyo LG Electronics CTO sector software platform is the 19th Research Institute, Seoul Semiconductor Forum Yangjaedong breakfast El tower system at the seminar held at the "next web OS-based surprise entry into the TV, "said" Web OS Smart TV at CES next year, and will introduce technologies, "he said. Meanwhile, Smart TV, LG Electronics is a Linux-based platform, the readers 'four cast' has to apply. Starting next year, much of it is planning to switch to a web-based OS. Prior to February, Hewlett-Packard, LG Electronics (HP) from the Web OS source code and related technology development staff has secured the acquisition. hongseongpyo researcher "to release version 4.0 of the current four cast been made, but many users of the smart TV functions not fully take advantage of the incredibly amazing realistic, "said" start from scratch suggesting that I was introduced to web SO, "he said. LG Electronics is showcasing ARM-based Web OS-based smart TV has a dual-core 2.2GHz processor and 1.5GB RAM (RAM ) is mounted. The smartphone has recently released short of the performance of the device environment, but implementation of smart TV is a good description of that.

LG Electronics Smart TV applications, such as broadcasting and content in hopes of making it easy to switch between multi-tasking with a focus on the development and progression. Netflix already in the United States for such a smart TV, the popularity of applications such as docks were. OS TV from LG Electronics is a web of interlocking capabilities of smartphones and rev. Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics recently launched a smartphone you can control the TV with the basic functions of remote mounted. Beyond this smartphone can take advantage of the multimedia content to your TV, which also focus on the free plans of action based on the cloud is only designed in hopes of making the TV's built-in web-based platform for lightweight and cross-platform and open standard, simple User Experience (UX), and aims to be scalable. Web OS with LG Electronics to develop a framework for the application of 'it does. (Enyo)' is also revealed. Developers can take advantage of Smart TV to develop a Web-based application that helps tool. smartphone, tablet, etc. Unlike advantage over the Smart TV market is still in the operating system (OS) is not. 1,2 TV market maker, Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics Smart Hub with four each cast to operate a Linux-based operating system, was the reader.

Source:http://www.zdnet.co.kr/news/news_vie...20131219102928
Old 12/19/2013, 11:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiter View Post

wow.

that has to be the most positive article about webOS I've read since they released the Pre itself.

i sure hope LG doesn't blow it. it really could snow ball from here. ugh my imagination is running wild with visions of "Pre, by LG"
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 12/19/2013, 12:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Google Translate made my head hurt a lot there.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Grabber5.0 like this.
Old 12/19/2013, 06:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
News Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Google Translate made my head hurt a lot there.
I felt like dyslexia when reading that translation from korean (crossed eyes) lol