webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Your own cloud profile back up?
Your own cloud profile back up?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  • 3 Post By John Steffes

Old 12/01/2013, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hi,

As the Open webOS-Port progresses, there is a question over profile back up. I think this wasn't included in the open-sourcing as HP were keeping an eye on cloud service possibilities. However, I expect the service could be easily re-implemented.

As HP are trying to sell the Palm patents again, I wonder if there will be any support beyond legacy webOS?

So, I saw this:
https://arkos.io/

It's already passed it's funding target. Currently it runs on a Raspberry Pi, but there are plans to port to x86, so an old PC could be used as your own mini back up server.

Any thoughts, other options or ideas about profile back up for the new webOS?
Old 12/01/2013, 07:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'd prefer the option to back up to a service like box.com, dropbox, google drive, etc.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2013, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I'd rather not be responsible for the integrity of my own backups either, but both options would be good I think. Something with a configurable back-end destination would be ideal.

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/01/2013, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Yeah I'd rather not be responsible for the integrity of my own backups either, but both options would be good I think. Something with a configurable back-end destination would be ideal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
I'd prefer the option to back up to a service like box.com, dropbox, google drive, etc.
I expect any open source solution would allow you to choose your preferred service. I'm just suggesting possibilities for those that might want to do it for themselves.
Old 12/01/2013, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Thinking about... Locally hosted backup servers
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: eKeith
Old 12/01/2013, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
Yes.

Happy for this to be added to that thread if the moderator wishes.
Old 12/02/2013, 07:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The current porting effort from webOS Ports does not include the old Palm profile at all. I'm not sure if it ever will. Currently it looks a bit like that all is gone and will die with legacy webOS some day.

On the other hand a backup from the local device to JSON files you can put on dropbox or box or your local file server should be possible. It just the issue that I don't have any more time, otherwise I would have build something there already.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2013, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
The current porting effort from webOS Ports does not include the old Palm profile at all. I'm not sure if it ever will. Currently it looks a bit like that all is gone and will die with legacy webOS some day.

On the other hand a backup from the local device to JSON files you can put on dropbox or box or your local file server should be possible. It just the issue that I don't have any more time, otherwise I would have build something there already.
Not surprised to hear the Palm profile isn't being looked at considering those servers will not survive in the long term (who knows how much longer..) Is any of the backup and restore client code part of open webOS?

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/02/2013 at 10:07 AM.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2013, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I did not stumple upon that code, yet...
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2013, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Interesting. I'd expected that the code wasn't open-sourced, but it's surprising that there's no plan for this aspect.

One of the original selling points for webOS was that in the event of loss or breakage, data and apps could be restored to a new device.

I'm sure that it would be fairly 'simple' to create a device back up system to one's own or another cloud server, but one of the often cited reasons for the failure of webOS was a shortage of apps. For developers to be interested, there needs to be a way they can sell apps and therefore authenticate the purchase (with a token I believe) to prevent piracy, but also to allow a purchaser to re-download apps without having to pay again.

It would be amusing if one could set up and access a profile on a Gnex that would use HP's servers and app catalogue. Maybe those servers would carry on working, half-forgotten by HP for years!

What other options? If a paid app system is added to Preware, who would run that and the payment system? Who else? PIC / OM app mall? Would LG use an app catalogue model for the TVs that the ported system could access?

Without a system to buy apps, webOS will remain a zombie... no?
Old 12/02/2013, 12:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Even though I have not played enough with Open webOS to test this 100%...

I have taken the source code from the Touchpad 3.0.5 build and installed it on the SDK of webOS 3.0.5 (x86 VirtualBox), and gotten the SDK (with impostah) to log into a Palm Profile (it was impersonating a Touchpad) and download apps, this did work for most ENYO and MOJO apps, but only some PDK apps. The backup also appeared to work, but never attempted a restore. My Virtualbox also has the latest ENYO FindApps with the Certs...

I am sure one can make a script to download the doctor, extract and build it into Open webOS, but HP/Palm would not be happy, but not sure they would do anything at this point...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors likes this.
Thanked by eKeith, RumoredNow
Old 12/02/2013, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
.. installed it on the SDK of webOS 3.0.5 (x86 VirtualBox), and gotten the SDK (with impostah) to log into a Palm Profile (it was impersonating a Touchpad) and download apps, this did work ...
GREAT John ! This is what I always wanted to have and for some reason HP/Palm never put in the emulator.
So - you are able to share the same webos profile in the emulator and in a TouchPad and in one Pre ?
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2013, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Profiles and Backup/Restore are exactly those cloud bits that HP retained when selling off legacy code to LG.

I'm quite sure all that was stripped out of Open Source webOS as a matter of asset protection, but justified as security. I'm no programmer so this is just a gut feeling...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2013, 12:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'm wondering if the first releases of the Port will be a kind of 'Soft-Frankenpre'.

Install the OS, then add in the bits of Legacy that are needed for the old functionality.
Old 12/02/2013, 12:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
GREAT John ! This is what I always wanted to have and for some reason HP/Palm never put in the emulator.
So - you are able to share the same webos profile in the emulator and in a TouchPad and in one Pre ?
Their reason was simple the SDK was designed for Developers to test their apps, not be a full feature version of webOS...

I wanted to test webOS 3.0.5 on a x86 world when they announced (during there Think beyond Event) they were building a x86 version in their R&D labs in Colorado. So I wanted to see could it be as simple as stripping the webOS 3.0.5 Touchpad modules and moving them into the SDK, and yes it was, although the emulator is not as cool as running in a native x86 world (Linux drivers would be needed to handle the hardware)... It was my test to see how it would work... maybe I will create a script someday that would (assuming you had the SDK which the Links were pulled for 3.0.5 and the Doctor for WiFi Touchpad) re-create the Touchpad SDK emulator. Oh, I did not use my Production Profile (already have 4 devices, including 2 phones, yes you can have more then one phone if the other phone does not impersonate a phone), it was using the same profile as my PixiPlus...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors, Garfonso and MartinH@webos like this.
Thanked By: MartinH@webos
Old 12/02/2013, 03:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
.. I wanted to see could it be as simple as stripping the webOS 3.0.5 Touchpad modules and moving them into the SDK, and yes it was, although the emulator is not as cool as running in a native x86 world (Linux drivers would be needed to handle the hardware)... It was my test to see how it would work... maybe I will create a script someday that would .
Yes - this is great. I always wondered why HP was not releasing a PC/Linux version of webOS to be used on desktop.
The emulator s already quite useable on x86. I did run the webOS emulator in full screen mode on a x86 with a 19" touch screen and this already gives you some experience. I've already prepared a wall for integrating a flat touch screen to bring webos to my kitchen.

Quote:
.. 2 phones, yes you can have more then one phone if the other phone does not impersonate a phone), it was using the same profile as my PixiPlus...
Again - GREAT John! I was always expecting to share my profile with as many devices as I want - but found out the hard way that adding a second phone did remove my other phone from that profile.
---
John, there seems to be so much good information in this forum coming from you. I could consider searching for all your posts to get better webos insight. It is great to have all that knowledge in the forums here.
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: John Steffes

Tags
backup, open webos, profile