webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG said to be shifting resources from smartphones to TV
LG said to be shifting resources from smartphones to TV
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By C-Note
  • 1 Post By i2y4n
  • 1 Post By PalmPixi_User23

Old 11/21/2013, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

LG said to be shifting resources from smartphones to TV | Mobile - CNET News

Good news for webOS on SmartTV?
wMarck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2013, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

http://pivotce.com/2013/11/21/lg-eny...-tv-demo-date/
Old 11/21/2013, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post

"TV? We don't need no stinkin' TVs!"

We need a new phone... when LG decides to do that I'; get excited.
Not likely since they apparently have not been able to get enough traction to satisfy them, hence the focus shift to TV's.
Liked by purplepansy and PalmPixi_User23 like this.
Old 11/21/2013, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think it sounds like a smart move. It's hard to get past everyone's infatuation with Samsung right now. I don't understand the love affair. 800,000 Galaxy watches sold is a joke.

Anyways back to LG. They are focusing more resources on TVs but keeping phone R&D the same, I like it. Gaining traction with TVs can help their other divisions in the long term.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2013, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

In a weird way...

...is this good news for webOS?

The phones are all Android (or mainly).

webOS is on TV's.

Not hopeful for an LG webOS phone, but if the TV development can help webOS-Ports...?
Old 11/21/2013, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm curious to see just how "webOS" the TV is before I would consider it's success good news or not.
Liked by imurrx likes this.
Old 11/22/2013, 05:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
I think it sounds like a smart move. It's hard to get past everyone's infatuation with Samsung right now. I don't understand the love affair. 800,000 Galaxy watches sold is a joke.

Anyways back to LG. They are focusing more resources on TVs but keeping phone R&D the same, I like it. Gaining traction with TVs can help their other divisions in the long term.
I know right. Samsung makes the crappiest stuff imaginable. And everyone's all like "No their great because I like having an 8" phone"
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2013, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
"TV? We don't need no stinkin' TVs!"

We need a new phone... when LG decides to do that I'; get excited.
Not likely since they apparently have not been able to get enough traction to satisfy them, hence the focus shift to TV's.
That's exactly what I've been saying for years about people wanting phones and tablets, who cares for a silly television from a company like LG . Everyone(including myself) wishes is for more smartphones/tablets to be powered by WebOS, but of course being realistic about the situation with LG we can't expect much of an appliance company that only what knows what to do is make refrigerators, washers and follow Google footsteps because like someone in the technology world said: "its easier to copy than to innovate". (so basically what I'm trying to say, I don't think that LG could be smart enough to know how to operate something as innovative and powerful WebOS).

It might be a bit of a harsh reality, but as much as I don't like for it to be true LG simply don't care about WebOS or believes its potential as operating system(in the mobile market) beyond consumer electronics devices which again its sad because of the fact that WebOS is pretty much dead as a mobile operating system in the hands of LG. In my opinion, webOS will bring nothing new to the television market or people will not line up for days around best-buy or other stores like Apple fans do around an Apple Store to by an iPhone, and beyond the interface and what features it offer to consumers, in the end no one will care much about an LG WebOS TV.

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 11/23/2013 at 03:58 AM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by C-Note likes this.
Old 11/23/2013, 06:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
it indicates the significant trouble companies not named Apple or Samsung have in getting their products to gain popularity.
.. actually, no, i'd say that it indicates that they just released a pair of flagship phones, so those guys would otherwise be sitting idle while R&D comes up with the next big thing in their phone line. Just a guess. The author of the article seems pretty pessimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
I'm curious to see just how "webOS" the TV is before I would consider it's success good news or not.
If you hated webOS on TV, and it succeeded,would that not still be good news? Or is that a situation where one says "YOU SHOULDN'T LIKE WHAT I DON'T LIKE" :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
That's exactly what I've been saying for years about people wanting phones and tablets, who cares for a silly television from a company like LG . Everyone(including myself) wishes is for more smartphones/tablets to be powered by WebOS, but of course being realistic about the situation with LG we can't expect much of an appliance company that only what knows what to do is make refrigerators, washers and follow Google footsteps because like someone in the technology world said: "its easier to copy than to innovate". (so basically what I'm trying to say, I don't think that LG could be smart enough to know how to operate something as innovative and powerful WebOS).

It might be a bit of a harsh reality, but as much as I don't like for it to be true LG simply don't care about WebOS or believes its potential as operating system(in the mobile market) beyond consumer electronics devices which again its sad because of the fact that WebOS is pretty much dead as a mobile operating system in the hands of LG. In my opinion, webOS will bring nothing new to the television market or people will not line up for days around best-buy or other stores like Apple fans do around an Apple Store to by an iPhone, and beyond the interface and what features it offer to consumers, in the end no one will care much about an LG WebOS TV.
The only people I know who've ever even heard of LG are people in the cell phone business. LG handsets from the era of digital cellular through to the early smartphone era are just about as legendary as Nokia handsets from just before the era of digital cellular.

Even if your product never has people lined up outside a store to get it on launch day, doesn't mean you can't succeed at something.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2013, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
If you hated webOS on TV, and it succeeded,would that not still be good news? Or is that a situation where one says "YOU SHOULDN'T LIKE WHAT I DON'T LIKE" :-)
Assuming it still remotely resembles webOS, yes. That's a big assumption though. In fact now that I'm thinking about it I don't recall LG even saying anything about webOS on their TVs. Just a new "smart" TV. I would have to double check that though.
Old 11/23/2013, 09:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have a smart tv and to be honest all smart tvs on the market are horrible! LG has a chance to get this right. So who cares if they lower their smartphone workforce if LG can make a semi-affordable smart tv and sell them like hotcakes this benefits us webos name will be back on the market (if webos is the same mostly) so lets encourage it! if the tv is successful then they will expand the os to smartphones it would be stupid of them not to,
mrmarquis9 is offline   Reply With Quote