webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > A suggestion to the webos ports guys
A suggestion to the webos ports guys
  Reply
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By lc_lol

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11/19/2013, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
imurrx's Avatar
 
Posts: 115
I know you have been working in porting webOS to the Gnex 4. Since the device is out for some time now and there are many new phones out, have you guys looked into other phones.

A natural progression for you would be the Gnex 5. How about the new Moto G? It is cheap ($179) and the investment for webOS fanatics would be lower to have it as a 2nd device to work out the kinks?

Anyways, thanks for all you have done so far.
__________________
Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
imurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2013, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
RumoredNow's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
I know you have been working in porting webOS to the Gnex 4. Since the device is out for some time now and there are many new phones out, have you guys looked into other phones.

A natural progression for you would be the Gnex 5. How about the new Moto G? It is cheap ($179) and the investment for webOS fanatics would be lower to have it as a 2nd device to work out the kinks?

Anyways, thanks for all you have done so far.
Yer mixing tags...

Ports is working on Galaxy Nexus (phone) and Nexus 7 (tablet).

The Galaxy Nexus is abbreviated GNex and should not be confused with the Nexus 4 (N4) which is an LG product. So is the Nexus 5 (N5). Galaxy (G) is a Samsung thing and they made the GNex which is a Ports target.

The Nexus phone releases were as follows:
HTC Nexus One - January 2010
Samsung Nexus S - December 2010
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - November 2011
LG Nexus 4 - November 2012
LG Nexus 5 - November 2013


WebOS Ports is contributing to the libhybris project along with Mer, Jolla, Canonical and others... Hopefully after the first target matures it will allow a more rapid development for porting to next gen targets.
__________________
Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 11/19/2013, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 2,960
Based on discussions I had with one of the devs from Ports it should be a couple of hours to get it ported to a new Android device where kernel is available for etc :-)

Just more importantly they're currently rewriting Luna (called Luna Next) because the Open webOS one was too bulky and it would take ages to fix graphics acceleration issues etc, so they decided a clean rewrite using latest technologies (QT5, Webkit2, Wayland, libhybris etc) is the way to go. So basically back to the drawing board after Alpha 2 and build it up from there. Progress has been slow but steady on this while a lot of other things have been worked on behind the scenes (Preware 2, mail and calendar sync, system update app and mechanism, device startup speed, new keyboard using maliit with text prediction, VirtualBox emulator etc).

Luna Next still needs a bit of polishing to iron out the most important bugs before adding new features but it's getting there. Progress can be followed in the emulator :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
__________________
HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2

Last edited by Herrie; 11/19/2013 at 04:12 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by daexpression, geekpeter, Vistaus and 1 others like this.
Old 11/19/2013, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
imurrx's Avatar
 
Posts: 115
Sorry about the branding. I did mean to say galaxy nexus. I had my 3 year old climbing over me while I was typing and still getting over my overnight shifts.I could not think strait and not patient enough to get my facts strait.

Even though I got a Moto X (great phone), I still miss webOS. I figured that if a reasonable priced device was targeted, then it could bring in more users.

Good luck to the rewrite. I really need to sit down one of these days and install it. I just don't use my PC much these days between my touchpad and my Moto x.
imurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2013, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Progress can be followed in the emulator :-)
what emulator are you talking about ??
Where do all the webOS ports discussions happen ?
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2013, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 275
The discussions happen on irc.

Communications - WebOS-Ports

You can also find emulator instructions at their site.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2013, 02:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Posts: 870
Emulator: Emulator - WebOS-Ports
It is based on VirtualBox, just like the old webos emulator.

Most of the discussion is in the IRC channel, which is pretty hard to follow... timezone issues make it even worse.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2014, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Vistaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
Emulator: Emulator - WebOS-Ports
It is based on VirtualBox, just like the old webos emulator.

Most of the discussion is in the IRC channel, which is pretty hard to follow... timezone issues make it even worse.
Links for the emulator image are dead and the images don't appear to be on the server anymore either...
__________________
My apps:

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2014, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Links for the emulator image are dead and the images don't appear to be on the server anymore either...
Looks like they're here : Index of /webos-ports-staging/wip/images/qemux86/

... and there's a new image I'm going to try this fast !!!!
lc_lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 01/04/2014, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
Based on that question, I'm wondering if I should get the Nexus 7 or the Nexus 7 2013?

While everything is better on the 2013 version, there's still no support for webOS yet. So I'm not sure. Is the Nexus 2012 still worth getting?
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2014, 05:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 53
"To get started setup an email account"... Wow guys, this is promising... Even if I get a white screen when trying to setup this account

Good work, though
lc_lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2014, 02:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Links for the emulator image are dead and the images don't appear to be on the server anymore either...
Fixed the URL's on the Wiki, seems the devs have moved around some things
__________________
HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 01/05/2014, 06:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc_lol View Post
Looks like they're here : Index of /webos-ports-staging/wip/images/qemux86/

... and there's a new image I'm going to try this fast !!!!
I have download the file webos-ports-dev-emulator-qemux86.zip and I had try to import the ovf file. I get the following error:

Code:
Die Appliance /home/bjadel/Downloads/webos-ports-emulator.ovf konnte nicht importiert werden.

Could not open the medium storage unit '/home/bjadel/Downloads/webos-ports-emulator-disk.vmdk'.

VMDK: inconsistent references to grain directory in '/home/bjadel/Downloads/webos-ports-emulator-disk.vmdk' (VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER).

VD: error VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER opening image file '/home/bjadel/Downloads/webos-ports-emulator-disk.vmdk' (VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER).

Fehlercode:VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Komponente:Appliance
Interface:IAppliance {3059cf9e-25c7-4f0b-9fa5-3c42e441670b}

I use virtualbox 4.1.18 under debian 64bit. What can I do?

Cheers Björn
BjAdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2014, 07:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjAdel View Post
I have download the file webos-ports-dev-emulator-qemux86.zip and I had try to import the ovf file. I get the following error:

Code:
Die Appliance /home/bjadel/Downloads/webos-ports-emulator.ovf konnte nicht importiert werden.

Could not open the medium storage unit '/home/bjadel/Downloads/webos-ports-emulator-disk.vmdk'.

VMDK: inconsistent references to grain directory in '/home/bjadel/Downloads/webos-ports-emulator-disk.vmdk' (VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER).

VD: error VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER opening image file '/home/bjadel/Downloads/webos-ports-emulator-disk.vmdk' (VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER).

Fehlercode:VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Komponente:Appliance
Interface:IAppliance {3059cf9e-25c7-4f0b-9fa5-3c42e441670b}

I use virtualbox 4.1.18 under debian 64bit. What can I do?

Cheers Björn
Works fine on my 4.3.6 under Win7x64.

I unpacked the ZIP, then imported the appliance.
__________________
HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2014, 08:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Works fine on my 4.3.6 under Win7x64.

I unpacked the ZIP, then imported the appliance.
Ok, I have update virtualbox to 4.3 and now it works fine with debian 7 64bit. :-)

Thanks
Björn
BjAdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2014, 10:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer
 
Posts: 870
Yes.. I never saw the error, but with VB 4.2 the VB crashes on the emulator image.
And the images are shifted (and old versions deleted) from time to time. Just browse through the directories.

The E-Mail app starts up automatically every time, because the "noWindow"-Parameter was removed and e-mail always auto starts webOS usually in the background (yeah ).
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New WebOS-Ports Video mattmers Open webOS General Discussion 71 08/08/2013 10:04 PM
How do I open network ports in webOS? bethel95 webOS Discussion Lounge 8 07/06/2013 11:33 PM
How to open network ports in webOS? bethel95 webOS Discussion Lounge 2 07/06/2013 07:34 PM
Where does WebOS Ports and WebOS Internals stand? cvendra webOS Discussion Lounge 46 03/01/2013 10:28 PM
Winners of the webOS Ports Wallpaper Contest gizmo21 Open webOS General Discussion 2 02/15/2013 08:28 AM


 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0