webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebOS on an Android tablet? How?
WebOS on an Android tablet? How?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Garfonso
  • 3 Post By andyhurley
  • 1 Post By Buddy1969
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  • 2 Post By John Steffes

Old 11/09/2013, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

I miss my TouchPad so I'd like to install WebOS on my current Verizon Motorola Droid tablet (Android ICS). Does anyone know how do this?
jefbeard911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2013, 04:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

webOS can be installed only on TouchPad.
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2013, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
why ? how do you know ?

I think "open webos" is all about installing webOS on any reasonable hardware that is on the market.
Why should it not be possible to install (future) webOS on any decent other device that today runs Android or IOS ?
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2013, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
why ? how do you know ?

I think "open webos" is all about installing webOS on any reasonable hardware that is on the market.
Why should it not be possible to install (future) webOS on any decent other device that today runs Android or IOS ?
it has to be ported to your tablet. Webos internals has porting projects underway as we speak.
mrmarquis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2013, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think the matter of "can it be ported to hardware XY" and "what are the general issues with graphics acceleration etc" have been discussed to death in certain other threads.
The interesting question would hence be: does anyone actually read a forum before asking questions?
Old 11/11/2013, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

webOS is proprietary and copy righted. So it's not really possible to get it on any other hardware then the one it is on....

open webOS is open source and can, in theory, be installed on everything.

webOS and open webOS is not the same thing and probably will never be. Currently, if you miss your TouchPad, I'd advise you to buy a TouchPad. That's the best experience you will get. If you are a programmer of any kind, feel free to look into the webos-ports projects and support them. But the "experience" currently is not ready for end users...
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJs11thPre likes this.
Old 11/11/2013, 08:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Whilst what everyone has said is true do you not think it would be fairer to simply point the OP in the direction of webos ports in a helpful way rather than be rude to them and risk repelling the very people (those interested to try something different) open webos needs if it is going to survive?

A patient pointer takes no more time to write than an acerbic comment and makes the whole community seem a friendlier place.
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Lansing2002, jrb363 and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 11/11/2013, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
A patient pointer takes no more time to write than an acerbic comment and makes the whole community seem a friendlier place.
All very true, but I come from a different point.

Is the one rude who is asked by someone who does not inform himself, if he tells the asker to go inform himself?
Or is the asker rude who does not want to invest his own time in reading available infos, but rather uses other people for that matter?

An example, what I mean:
Before I ask for directions, I look at a plan or try a SatNav if available. I percieve it as very rude to undertake no serious steps to inform myself but rather "let someone else do the thinking".

Therefore I deem it "nettiquette" to first search the forum, read some posts and get informed and only after this, ask for the remaining questions.
Doing it like that has following consequences:
-> Information gathered by myself is better understood and remembered.
-> I do not abuse the time of other people for things I could have done myself and therefore
-> I do not p*** people off and therefore maybe even close paths to further knowledge or information that I would have needed.

But hey, that's just me. Other people do it differently, but still I feel it valid to express my opinion freely.

So, no bad feeling, no harm done

Oh and yes, here is my "patient pointer":
The right source for WebOS ports to other platforms is (and the name is a dead givaway) WebOS Ports. You find them at http://webos-ports.org
Hope this helps ...
Thanked By: MikeN68
Old 11/11/2013, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

I didn't find any of the replies to be rude (but then, I'm kind of abrasive sometimes, so maybe I don't detect it. ). He was pointed in the direction of webos-ports.

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MikeN68 likes this.
Thanked By: MikeN68
Old 11/11/2013, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Kind of a question? (If we can't have our cake - webOS 4.0, then maybe we can have something close to it)

Open webOS 1.0 has been ported to the Nexus, it still is not perfected, the apps do not all work like the default webOS 3.0.5, the modules keep changing while LG is now working on the TV concept...

Question? webOS is more then a launcher, but could the LunaSysMgr become a launcher to Android (a skin so to speak), which would allow native Android apps to be launched and instead of paused, kept open, within the launcher (like webOS does), and then one could cycle from app to app, as far as the app would think it is full screen (it would not know it was moved to a card?)

I know webOS applications are also designed around the webOS launcher (LunaSysMgr), but has anyone taken the Open webOS parts and thought about this?

I do not use Android much (although I use CM9 and PIC OM ACL) and I have stuck to the default launcher provided, so there might be a launcher that does this but I have not really looked?

I have read there are apps that can mimic gestures and but I am talking about an launcher replacement that turns Androids default launcher into Open webOS LunaSysMgr?

These are close but not a replacement?
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...droid-tablets/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher.prime

Not looking for a theme:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...theme.vezatmwm

Last edited by John Steffes; 11/11/2013 at 01:12 PM.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJs11thPre likes this.
Old 11/12/2013, 01:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hi jeffbeard911,

Webos as we know is close source software and therefore is only stuck to HP products -touchpad, touchpad 4g, pre 3 etc.
If you are thinking of so called upgrading your phone to Webos? You are referring to OPenWEbos, as many have pointed out the open source product. Unfortunately it's not ready for primetime, now that LG owns the source code and there are many changes as they prepare it for their WebTV products.
Webosports is doing great work on it. Progress is slow, due to lack of manpower. If you know of people interested to join the project do call on them at webosports.

Cheers
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2013, 06:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
Perhaps you didn't look at the section it was posted in. This section is about OPENwebOS which can, in theory, be installed on everything as long as the drivers are there.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2013, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Kind of a question? (If we can't have our cake - webOS 4.0, then maybe we can have something close to it)

Open webOS 1.0 has been ported to the Nexus, it still is not perfected, the apps do not all work like the default webOS 3.0.5, the modules keep changing while LG is now working on the TV concept...

Question? webOS is more then a launcher, but could the LunaSysMgr become a launcher to Android (a skin so to speak), which would allow native Android apps to be launched and instead of paused, kept open, within the launcher (like webOS does), and then one could cycle from app to app, as far as the app would think it is full screen (it would not know it was moved to a card?)

I know webOS applications are also designed around the webOS launcher (LunaSysMgr), but has anyone taken the Open webOS parts and thought about this?

I do not use Android much (although I use CM9 and PIC OM ACL) and I have stuck to the default launcher provided, so there might be a launcher that does this but I have not really looked?

I have read there are apps that can mimic gestures and but I am talking about an launcher replacement that turns Androids default launcher into Open webOS LunaSysMgr?

These are close but not a replacement?
TasKarou Launcher Brings webOS-Style Task Switching to Android Tablets xda-developers
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher.prime

Not looking for a theme:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...theme.vezatmwm
@ John S:

these are great questions
, buried in this thread that got mired in metacomm.

Maybe you could start a new thread on them if you haven't already.

I'd also like to hear about running android apps in a card, and manipulating the cards as we do within webOS, possibly using luna? - as you mentioned.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2013, 08:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

PIC tried something like that... but there was not a lot news about this project. Probably they failed? I'm not sure if that is at all possible.... might as well be that porting the whole thing to Android and getting the Apps with something like ACL is easier.
Old 11/14/2013, 08:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
PIC tried something like that... but there was not a lot news about this project. Probably they failed? I'm not sure if that is at all possible.... might as well be that porting the whole thing to Android and getting the Apps with something like ACL is easier.
No, PIC tried running webOS on top of ANDROID... I am not talking about that...

I am talking about taking the LunaSysMgr and turning it into a new Launcher for ANDROID...

Look Nook tablets are ANDROID, Amazon's Kindle(s) are ANDROID, SAMSUNG are ANDROID, HTC are ANDROID, what do they do they have their own LAUNCHER... they customized ANDROID to be what they wanted...

I am asking did anyone think about doing this with LunaSysMgr?

I do not have the time, to look into it, maybe some one already did and failed, maybe nobody looked into it?

I am just suggesting a way we can have our cake and eat it to?
Old 11/14/2013, 08:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

PIC tried exactly that: Running Luna on top of Android... sure it was not a launcher, yet... more like an app... but that already failed.

What you want is probably a launcher that looks similar to luna. Luna itself is probably a bad place to start. And then again, I'm not sure if the Android architecture allows you to achieve all that you want. For example I'm very sceptical about letting apps run in the background. I don't think a launcher can do that... you probably have to alter some other things much deeper in the system... and then you can be easily at the point were using the complete Android stuff doesn't make that much sense anymore. But that's just me guessing.

I once read about a webos-like launcher for Android... it was somewhere on the xda-developer forum. But I never tried it nor do I know how mature the project was or if it is still alive.

Anyway: What you suggest is a lot of work, probably painful, too. So don't expect it to be ready in short time... That's what I meant by: Maybe it is easier to just port the whole thing... that's in a good progress. Some UI stuff and some internal stuff. But bugs are getting squashed quite fast.
Old 11/14/2013, 11:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hmmm...

Yes, I can't remember if PIC's project was to do webOS on Android or Android in a webOS card. Perhaps both projects were at least proposed at one point. I guess if either had got anywhere, we'd have it. ACL is (almost) here.

I agree that if 'someone' is going to do the work then it might as well be a full port rather than a workaround that might be as much work for a less pleasing experience.

I remember that the first release of Open webOS was without a GUI and presumably ran on a PC with Linux open drivers. The GUI came later (and also LunaCE). I assume that the main work of porting that is around getting the libhybris drivers and adapting the system to work with them - not a complete rewrite. GUI-wise, there needs to be adjustment to different screen sizes and such. Devs had to include fixes to apps for Pre3 and Touchpad sizes.

Hopefully, the first port is hard, but the next ones are easier - especially if it's possible to build in some support for dfferent configurations at this stage, though it should be noted that a problem for Android is the number of different spec handsets out there, so this may not be easy.

It's getting there. It will set the webOS world alight when it arrives, but not the rest of the world. After that, there will either be further community ports (after the heavy lifting has been done) or it may even spread through the Android world - especially if there is an ACL or similar for it. Your UI of choice and all the apps you can eat. The better apps may be built with Enyo, so what works on Android will also work natively on Open webOS.

The parts are in place, but there's no way to tell how the puzzle will come together.
Old 11/14/2013, 12:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

What I had in mind was creating a webOS launcher for ANDROID, based on LunaSysMgr and it's method of handling apps underneath it...

But not to have webOS running on ANDROID, but remove ANDROID's default launcher and create a webOS look and feel, but it would not run any webOS apps, but normal ANDROID apps, each in their own card, when full screen they would take over the screen, when carded they would still be active like in a phone size...

Most projects have been port all of Open webOS to run, or to have webOS run as an App on ANDROID which one then can run webOS apps under that...

I do not want to run webOS apps on ANDROID, my vision would be have a webOS launcher but still run only ANDROID apps, as running Open webOS ENYO apps which are broken serve no purpose (easier to take the apps from webOS 3.0.5 and install on top of Open webOS at least those work also one needs to bring the webOS 3.0.5 frameworks as Open webOS frameworks are also broken)...

Now I am not sure if anyone has looked at this but I might be wrong, I was asking the question to see if anyone had tried?
Old 11/14/2013, 02:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

It sounds like your looking for something like this?

HP TouchPad CM9/CM10 WebOS-like Card Switcher Mod - YouTube

I've been running this on my CM9 TP for 2 months now without any issues so far.

Here's the link to read about it:

[MOD] WebCM10 - WebOS-like app switcher [03/10/13] [PA/CM10/CM9/AOKP] - HP Touchpad Android Development - RootzWiki
mmgquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2013, 01:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

That's what I was talking about above... Does the launcher really keep apps active in the background? I couldn't see that on any of the videos or in the description anywhere.