Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 165
Like Tree69Likes
  1. #141  
    To get back to a command prompt I would need to not run the commands in novaterm. I suppose if I invoke novaterm from command prompt that would work but I usually just open up the novaterm link found for me here C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\terminal Should I put those two uImage files in that folder?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  2. #142  
    Alright well I figured it out. Stumbled through it I guess. Anyway, I had a black screen for a LOONG time and then LuneOS popped up. WOW. I'm pretty impressed. Still work to be done but there's quite a bit there. Especially considering that I had only seen videos from WAY back (Alpha 1 youtube stuff). Nice work!
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  3. benh's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #143  
    After seeing the news of the release, I booted into LuneOS today that I had updated a couple of days ago and had a bit more of a play around.

    Since installing on my TP, there has been something that felt strange but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. It's the rounded corners of the apps.

    On phones with webOS 2.x, the apps have rounded corners and it looks good for 2 reasons - the phones have much more rounded physical corners and the apps are designed with the rounded corners in mind (eg, there may be a bar with rounded ends at the top and a couple of round buttons at the bottom and the rounded corners of the app window wrap around it nicely).

    The Touchpad with webOS 3.x has a much more square look to the apps and the buttons in them and either it looks nice or I'm just used to it. When the apps are loading or in card view, they have just a slight roundedness to the corners, but when maximised, they take up the full portion of the screen. To me the rounded corners on LuneOS on the Touchpad look a bit out of place, particularly on apps that have been based on Touchpad apps and have square buttons etc.

    I was thinking that modern phones like the Nexus 4, which are probably shaped more similar to the Touchpad than the Pre's would look better without the rounded corners, but screenshots of the ui on a Nexus 4 look pretty good. The rounded corners don't look so apparent on the smaller screen.

    I think either the rounded corners on the apps should be ditched or reduced. I don't know enough about LuneOS to know if a different look could be used for a tablet than a phone.

    Not sure if the devs are taking feedback on stuff like this at the moment, but it's just my opinion.

    (I really like the virtual gesture area though)

    Ben
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    After seeing the news of the release, I booted into LuneOS today that I had updated a couple of days ago and had a bit more of a play around.

    Since installing on my TP, there has been something that felt strange but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. It's the rounded corners of the apps.

    On phones with webOS 2.x, the apps have rounded corners and it looks good for 2 reasons - the phones have much more rounded physical corners and the apps are designed with the rounded corners in mind (eg, there may be a bar with rounded ends at the top and a couple of round buttons at the bottom and the rounded corners of the app window wrap around it nicely).

    The Touchpad with webOS 3.x has a much more square look to the apps and the buttons in them and either it looks nice or I'm just used to it. When the apps are loading or in card view, they have just a slight roundedness to the corners, but when maximised, they take up the full portion of the screen. To me the rounded corners on LuneOS on the Touchpad look a bit out of place, particularly on apps that have been based on Touchpad apps and have square buttons etc.

    I was thinking that modern phones like the Nexus 4, which are probably shaped more similar to the Touchpad than the Pre's would look better without the rounded corners, but screenshots of the ui on a Nexus 4 look pretty good. The rounded corners don't look so apparent on the smaller screen.

    I think either the rounded corners on the apps should be ditched or reduced. I don't know enough about LuneOS to know if a different look could be used for a tablet than a phone.

    Not sure if the devs are taking feedback on stuff like this at the moment, but it's just my opinion.

    (I really like the virtual gesture area though)

    Ben
    I noticed this a bit too to be honest on the TP. The radius for the corner is already better compared to what it was before.

    It should be fairly straight forward to create different behavior for narrow (portrait/phone) or wide screens (landscape/tablets). It's a matter of getting the screen resolution and adjusting the rounding of the corners (radius) accordingly. This could be made a Tweaks option for example. We're sure open for this kind of feedback and things like this are fairly easy to implement

    You can put in a feature request at Ports - Issues - webOS Ports for example
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  5.    #145  
    For those with a GNex and looking to try out the 1st release -

    The "Install WOP on Gnex" steps point to the the work-in-progress images; not the stable ones. Just an FYI.
    Get the 'stable' image from the link on this page: Maguro Info - WebOS-Ports

    I hope the GNex finds a maintainer.
    I was hoping to not have to purchase another phone for Lune OS goodness.

    - T
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
  6. #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    For those with a GNex and looking to try out the 1st release -

    The "Install WOP on Gnex" steps point to the the work-in-progress images; not the stable ones. Just an FYI.
    Get the 'stable' image from the link on this page: Maguro Info - WebOS-Ports

    I hope the GNex finds a maintainer.
    I was hoping to not have to purchase another phone for Lune OS goodness.

    - T
    B...b...but!

    You're the expert! This is your thread!

    The job of 'Chief Maintainer of the Port to Galaxy Nexus' is surely yours for for the taking! ;-)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/02/2014 at 07:28 PM.
    MudShark22 likes this.
  7. #147  
    Not sure if this is the correct thread but since I couldn't find one and see some people trying to get help here I'll ask for help as well.
    I was able to do all the steps for dual boot and seems like moboot is installed and working.
    The problem I have is with the last command:
    tar xzf webos-ports-dev-image-tenderloin.tar.gz -C /media/ext3fs

    I have the tar.gz file in place but the command just generates only errors like : No space on the device or it can't make directory or it can't find the target directory or file
    Wonder what I messed up.
    Seems like the partition that I create in Tailor is messed up somehow since it can't repair it , check it or delete it

    tar xzf webos-ports-dev-image-tenderloin.tar
    .gz -C /media/ext3fs
    tar: ./system/lib/libcamera.so: Wrote only 6144 of 10240 bytes
    tar: ./system/lib/crtbegin_so.o: Cannot write: No space left on device
    tar: ./system/lib/libreference-ril.so: Cannot write: No space left on device
    tar: ./system/lib/libstagefrighthw.so: Cannot write: No space left on device
    tar: ./system/lib/liboverlay.so: Cannot write: No space left on device
    tar: ./system/lib/liboemcamera.so: Cannot write: No space left on device
    tar: ./system/lib/libcrypto.so: Cannot write: No space left on device

    For whatever reason I had my ext3 partion was just 8Mb and I was thinking it was 8Gb
    Anyway first impressions:
    it works but it seems to be the image for the phone it seems and the kb in the terminal is much better than the one in the OS but other than that I like it. Might try to install some enoyo 1 apps and see if they'll work Not sure how to transfer them over. Might need to RTFM some.
    Other than that I was able to crash it playing within 10 min or so.
    Last edited by 60RH; 09/03/2014 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Figured it out.
  8. #148  
    I need to do this with my wife's Touchpad.. She doesn't use it anymore.
  9. #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    For those with a GNex and looking to try out the 1st release -

    The "Install WOP on Gnex" steps point to the the work-in-progress images; not the stable ones. Just an FYI.
    Get the 'stable' image from the link on this page: Maguro Info - WebOS-Ports

    I hope the GNex finds a maintainer.
    I was hoping to not have to purchase another phone for Lune OS goodness.

    - T
    .... how much effort is required to be "maintainer" ... and is there a way to dual-boot the device, or can it be put on a memory card to swap in/out? :-)

    i can download things and run tests, i don't have time to do much else.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10. #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    ....
    Anyway first impressions:
    it works but it seems to be the image for the phone it seems and the kb in the terminal is much better than the one in the OS but other than that I like it. Might try to install some enoyo 1 apps and see if they'll work Not sure how to transfer them over. Might need to RTFM some.
    Other than that I was able to crash it playing within 10 min or so.
    It's a hybrid image, both phone and tablet. We are still undecided on some of the UI parts. It's mainly inspired by 3.0.x but it also has some 2.x.x looks. As you might know the WindsorNot would run 3.x as well.

    The KB in the OS still needs some TLC, we're aware of that. I'm personally not a big fan of the layout without the number row on a tablet and the layout could be tweaked a bit as well (enter button for example).

    For testing Enyo 1 apps: You can copy the folder over to /usr/palm/applications
    Afterwards you need to run the following from command line (adb shell would do easiest normally):
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}

    The icon should then appear in the launcher and you should be able to run it. I tried Dash Weather+, Macaw Enyo, Spaz HD in the past and all worked.

    I'm curious to learn how you got it to crash and what crashed. We do seem to have SOME stability issues with WebKit still, I noticed those myself too. This is being looked into as well.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  11. #151  
    First of all: congrats to WebOS ports for all the work done.

    I got the Nexus 5 with 4.4.4 and Android L waiting around the next corner. As I intend to keep the Android on my phone up to date, I guess I might stay ahead of the LuneOS schedule for the time being, ain't I?
    That's a bit sad, because I would honestly like to give my Nexus 5 some WebOS love.
    And, oh, "can I haz dualboot"?
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  12. #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    .... how much effort is required to be "maintainer" ... and is there a way to dual-boot the device, or can it be put on a memory card to swap in/out? :-)

    i can download things and run tests, i don't have time to do much else.
    Hopefully, Herrie or another team member has an accurate answer for you, but my uneducated look at the Porting Guide - WebOS-Ports suggests it's a matter of building the 'Android pieces' for the particular device, then adding webOS. It must be more complicated than that, but the team are contactable: Communications - WebOS-Ports. It may be worth asking if there is an existing development device that could be supplied.

    EDIT: Oh, what's this? http://forums.webosnation.com/luneos/ ;-)

    Also, I suppose if there's more than one maintainer, that's a team and whatever workload could be shared...

    Would being an OS maintainer look good on a C.V. / Resume?
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/04/2014 at 04:41 AM.
  13. #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It's a hybrid image, both phone and tablet. We are still undecided on some of the UI parts. It's mainly inspired by 3.0.x but it also has some 2.x.x looks. As you might know the WindsorNot would run 3.x as well.

    The KB in the OS still needs some TLC, we're aware of that. I'm personally not a big fan of the layout without the number row on a tablet and the layout could be tweaked a bit as well (enter button for example).

    For testing Enyo 1 apps: You can copy the folder over to /usr/palm/applications
    Afterwards you need to run the following from command line (adb shell would do easiest normally):
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}

    The icon should then appear in the launcher and you should be able to run it. I tried Dash Weather+, Macaw Enyo, Spaz HD in the past and all worked.

    I'm curious to learn how you got it to crash and what crashed. We do seem to have SOME stability issues with WebKit still, I noticed those myself too. This is being looked into as well.
    Well, I guess I'll need to get familiar with adb shell - just downloaded it.
    If there are logs that I can provide that will help you out to figure out what crashed I can try to reproduce it and provide the logs. If there's an article on the webos-ports wiki just link to it and I'll read through.
    First time I was just messing with it and tried to see how many cards I can get opened and how fluid is the swipe motion and I think one of the apps was the browser.
    I see some touch screen issues, when I'm using the kb and sometimes even without using it. It is just not accurate enough some times. The tap ripple shows all over the place - kind of how pre "touches itself".
    Also I think I have some issues connecting to LuneOS and copying over files(using win 7 machine).
    And I'm not alone : What Driver should we be using in for windows to see the touchpad with LuneOS
  14. #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    Well, I guess I'll need to get familiar with adb shell - just downloaded it.
    If there are logs that I can provide that will help you out to figure out what crashed I can try to reproduce it and provide the logs. If there's an article on the webos-ports wiki just link to it and I'll read through.
    First time I was just messing with it and tried to see how many cards I can get opened and how fluid is the swipe motion and I think one of the apps was the browser.
    I see some touch screen issues, when I'm using the kb and sometimes even without using it. It is just not accurate enough some times. The tap ripple shows all over the place - kind of how pre "touches itself".
    Also I think I have some issues connecting to LuneOS and copying over files(using win 7 machine).
    And I'm not alone : What Driver should we be using in for windows to see the touchpad with LuneOS
    The "old" browser in the Affogato release was buggy with VKB. We're (well actually I am) working on a new QML based browser that should be less buggy with the VKB.

    ADB I have working on my work laptop with both TP and N4, but on my home PC it doesn't work with the TP, only N4. I need to look into which drivers I have exactly on my laptop.

    When you're in ADB Shell you can run the following command:

    journalctl > /media/internal/logfile.txt

    Then exit ADB shell and pull the file to your PC with: adb pull /media/internal/logfile.txt
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  15.    #155  
    Gents:

    Since there is now an 'official' LuneOS forum; we should probably migrate our discussion(s) there.
    Once I have had the chance to 'install' the first image on my GNex; I will start a thread there on impressions etc.

    And Herrie....I would consider being the GNex maintainer if I understood more thoroughly the 'job responsibilities'. When you have the time (and who does!! lol) shoot me a PM.

    All the best,

    - T

    EDIT: BTW folks, if you did not read it earlier in this thread; once you have CWM installed; you can save a 'backup' using CWM of LuneOS. As long as you boot into recovery; you can then 'choose' either android or LuneOS backup. I was doing that with some of the "WIP" builds earlier this summer
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
  16. #156  
    The maintainer for GNex mostly has the responsibility to make sure that the newer images are running on GNex and report and (at least help) fix device specific bugs.

    This currently is an issue, because GNex does not seem to boot with the latest testing images, which base on a new version of open embedded (daisy instead of dora). And something somewhere (probably the kernel) has changed and now seems to crash on GNex. The optimal case would be someone that has a serial cable connected to the GNex and can even debug early kernel crashes / boot issues... but that is optional. But some knowledge about the kernel would be helpful... if nothing helps one has to switch kernel version for kernel version and see which one introduced the issue and see how to fix it (that then probably is managable by other people).
  17.    #157  
    While I am not familiar with kernel construction per se, I swap kernels on my gnex often enough thru cwm.
    Generally I consider myself a decent alpha/beta tester, able to follow good instructions and not afraid to make an intuitive leap.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Preemptive likes this.
  18. #158  
    Seeing as how there are quite a bit of Gnex users on this particular thread (well, compared to others at least), could I ask a quick question? My Gnex runs the LuneOS August 10th stable build, and I've run into an issue. Dev options won't turn on even when the switch indicates that it should be; the screen still says 'disabled'. As a result, I can't flash a more recent dev build or even use a pc program to go back to Android (blasphemous, I know unfortunately, I kinda need something more stable at the moment). The device takes forever to boot as it is, and it is unable to boot into recovery or download modes. A quick perusal of my files via the File Manager shows that TWRP is still intact. My PC is unable to detect the Gnex as a device, so I can't transfer files (and since I don't have recovery to fall-back on, I can't mount the SD manually).

    I would have reported this as a bug, but I can't really submit a log, and this doesn't exactly seem to fall under the category.
  19.    #159  
    I have never had dev options work in any version I have installed. Also wi-fi has been an issue for me too.
    I believe that nightlies are not available for GNex post-affogato initial release.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
  20. #160  
    @Alex_Lee97: Hm.. not sure what your issue is.. but you should still be able to boot into bootloader and flash another image onto it.... tried to hold volume up+down at reboot?

    At that point your PC should be able to talk to the device using fastboot. Maybe that helps?

    Currently I'd still recommend to flash the dev packages of LuneOS.

    And yes, current testing images are not booting at GNex, sadly... or at least most of the times they are not.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How do I open network ports in webOS?
    By bethel95 in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07/07/2013, 12:33 AM
  2. How to open network ports in webOS?
    By bethel95 in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07/06/2013, 08:34 PM
  3. freeTether Open Ports?
    By DWarrior in forum WebOS Internals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/06/2011, 08:17 AM
  4. T-Zones open Ports?
    By dantekgeek in forum North American Carriers (GSM)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09/12/2004, 02:00 PM
  5. Scanning for open ports??
    By slvr00gt in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05/20/2004, 12:58 AM

Posting Permissions