webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Impressions of latest open webOS (ports) builds
Impressions of latest open webOS (ports) builds
Like Tree69Likes

Old 07/21/2014, 05:42 PM   #121 (permalink)

I think I had imagined things were a little more stable than they are. Definitely in a position for devs to help out rather that even ready for testing. Maybe this is just on the TP??

Having said that, I'm amazed that this is installable on the TP at all and things like wifi work. Well done so far to all involved.

Some tips for installation:

1. When using Tailor, even after reboot I kept getting an error "Danger Will Robinson... Jails are active...". I found a post from Rod when someone had that issue and he asked what mounts were present, the reply was a mount related to tweaks and Rod said to unmount that and continue. This did the job for me. Just needed to "Check File System", "Resize" the usb partition to reduce it by about a gig, then "Create new partition" in the unused space.

2. If you have the usb partition mounted on your computer to copy the webos-ports-dev-image-tenderloin.tar.gz file, you will need to unmount (or eject) the file system to perform the "tar" command to extract the file.

3. If you have an existing android install (with moboot) then not all the steps in the wiki are required for installation.

Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/22/2014, 02:57 AM   #122 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benh View Post
I think I had imagined things were a little more stable than they are. Definitely in a position for devs to help out rather that even ready for testing. Maybe this is just on the TP??

Having said that, I'm amazed that this is installable on the TP at all and things like wifi work. Well done so far to all involved.

Ben
There are still plenty of bugs indeed and a lot of things are not fully integrated yet (bluetooth, cellular data connection, volume control etc, but all is work in progress and we'll get there eventually). I'm personally surprised how fluid and snappy it feels on hardware that's 3 years old.

The biggest culprit at the moment would be the browser I'd say, other than that it's pretty stable at my end.
Old 07/22/2014, 07:50 AM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
The biggest culprit at the moment would be the browser I'd say, other than that it's pretty stable at my end.
Yes, the browser did seem a bit flaky. I was hoping for an updated version of the existing TP browser, but obviously that is not possible at the moment. Was also hoping for the TP keyboard with the numbers on the top row and that nifty joystick from the LunaCE keyboard (I love that).

Ben
Old 07/22/2014, 08:39 AM   #124 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Yes, the browser did seem a bit flaky. I was hoping for an updated version of the existing TP browser, but obviously that is not possible at the moment. Was also hoping for the TP keyboard with the numbers on the top row and that nifty joystick from the LunaCE keyboard (I love that).

Ben
All would be possible, we just need more devs to help

The whole UI was rewritten from scratch using QT 5 instead of 4.8, hence a lot of the LunaCE features are not (yet) implemented.

The browser that HP released was still QT 4.8 based with relatively old WebKit. LuneOS moved to newer QTWebKit, however with QTWebEngine to be released soon, it's likely that that will be what the new browser will be based on.
Old 07/26/2014, 10:34 PM   #125 (permalink)

I updated the version of LuneOS and also updated Moboot to 0.3.8 (was previously running moboot 0.3.4) and things seem to be running much better. I also used the image that doesn't have "dev" in the name.

I doubt the moboot version would play any part in the improvement, so it must be either the non dev version, or just general improvements in 5 or 6 days.

Previously there were many things I would click but they wouldn't do anything, but now they do.

I added a gmail account and could view my email, but for some reason if I tried to send it didn't work.

Ben
Old 07/27/2014, 01:36 AM   #126 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I updated the version of LuneOS and also updated Moboot to 0.3.8 (was previously running moboot 0.3.4) and things seem to be running much better. I also used the image that doesn't have "dev" in the name.

I doubt the moboot version would play any part in the improvement, so it must be either the non dev version, or just general improvements in 5 or 6 days.

Previously there were many things I would click but they wouldn't do anything, but now they do.

I added a gmail account and could view my email, but for some reason if I tried to send it didn't work.

Ben
Ben, the dev version has a lot of logging etc enabled so it's slower. The non-dev version should be running a bit quicker indeed

There are continuous fixes going on for bugs that are found. Some are easy, some are a bit harder. Apps are being developed and updated, UI is being polished and a lot of things in the background (kernel level etc) are being optimized too. This all with a small team of developers which causes it not to go very quickly sometimes, so anyone willing to help out is welcome of course
Old 07/27/2014, 07:19 PM   #127 (permalink)

I keep getting this error trying to send the LuneOS uImage file over:

c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc>novacom put file://boot/uImage.LuneOS < uImage
No space left on device
novacom: unexpected EOF from server

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?
Old 07/27/2014, 09:42 PM   #128 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
I keep getting this error trying to send the LuneOS uImage file over:

c:\Program Files\Palm, Inc>novacom put file://boot/uImage.LuneOS < uImage
No space left on device
novacom: unexpected EOF from server

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?
In the wiki instructions, one step has:
mount -o remount,rw /

then a later step has:
mount -o remount,rw /boot

Make sure you are doing this second step to make the /boot writable.

Ben
Old 07/27/2014, 10:16 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
In the wiki instructions, one step has:
mount -o remount,rw /

then a later step has:

Make sure you are doing this second step to make the /boot writable.

Ben
Thanks for the reply Ben. I am running those commands in the order listed on the wiki and still getting that error message. I already have CM10 installed on this TouchPad so I'm not sure if that is causing an issue or the partition to run out of space.
Old 07/28/2014, 12:03 AM   #130 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
Thanks for the reply Ben. I am running those commands in the order listed on the wiki and still getting that error message. I already have CM10 installed on this TouchPad so I'm not sure if that is causing an issue or the partition to run out of space.
That could very well be. The instructions are made for "dual boot". I'm not sure how it would behave with a tripple boot with CM already on there.
Old 07/28/2014, 01:30 AM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
That could very well be. The instructions are made for "dual boot". I'm not sure how it would behave with a tripple boot with CM already on there.
Mine is a triple boot, but with CM9 that is hardly used. I think some of the newer android installs do change partition sizes.

Ben
Old 08/11/2014, 07:41 AM   #132 (permalink)

I read somewhere the boot 'partition' is limited on space so that could explain the not enough space issue. Just tried finding the thread on XDA but failed :-(

I also found the install wiki confusing with:
rm uImage
exit
novacom put file://boot/uImage.LuneOS < uImage
novacom put file://boot/uImage < uImage.moboot_0.3.8

After typing 'exit' in my novaterm window not much else happened (surprise!) so I started it up again and created the symlinks with 'ln -s ' commands instead. I does seem to work too.

But, I had removed uImage! this had to be recreated so I could symlink to it.

I'm hoping I messed up somewhere in the wiki instructions (how?) which is why I couldn't get it to work wih them, but my rudimentary linux knowledge and Google got it working for me anyway.

Not a lot of time to plan with it yet but it the icons are a lot smaller for my old eyes and my wi-fi doesn't like to connect most of the time. The screen just decides to shut down too even if I'm using it. But as a pre-alpha test it is looking promising.

I may hack my little Nexus 7 next . . .
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2014, 08:56 AM   #133 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN68 View Post
I read somewhere the boot 'partition' is limited on space so that could explain the not enough space issue. Just tried finding the thread on XDA but failed :-(

I also found the install wiki confusing with:
rm uImage
exit

After typing 'exit' in my novaterm window not much else happened (surprise!) so I started it up again and created the symlinks with 'ln -s ' commands instead. I does seem to work too.

But, I had removed uImage! this had to be recreated so I could symlink to it.

I'm hoping I messed up somewhere in the wiki instructions (how?) which is why I couldn't get it to work wih them, but my rudimentary linux knowledge and Google got it working for me anyway.

Not a lot of time to plan with it yet but it the icons are a lot smaller for my old eyes and my wi-fi doesn't like to connect most of the time. The screen just decides to shut down too even if I'm using it. But as a pre-alpha test it is looking promising.

I may hack my little Nexus 7 next . . .
The exit command should exit your Novaterm session and get your back to your PC. From there you run the Novacom commands to push the new uImages to the device

WiFi is a known bug that is being investigated right now, seems to be something in the build process that causes it. I used another uImage and it was fine.

Screen etc all needs work still. The TP port has had a lot less work on it compared to others, so you might find less things working compared to N4 or N7
Old 08/13/2014, 05:28 PM   #134 (permalink)

It be great to have a flashable rom version like you do in android using TWRP or CWM
I tried to reinstall webOS 3.05 to run tailor to make ext3fs , it worked but some how stuffed up webOS 3.05 boot,
but boot ok into lune.OS but no wifi.
ended up wiping whole lot of with data media reset from jcsulians rom toolbox and reinstall android kitkat.
be great to have way to install from android seeing how lune.OS is using android kernel/drivers.

What is this used for?
initramfs-android-image-tenderloin.cpio.gz

Last edited by Firepower; 08/14/2014 at 06:12 AM.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2014, 06:52 AM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
Alrighty then.
As the OP, a gent who meta-doctored his pre(-); installed android on a spare tp; risked his gnex installing alpha 2 builds: I can't load the tenderloin port.

For ex: where am I unpacking moboot? On device? If so where? If not, when do I transfer to TP?
use novaterm for this:
cd /boot
rm uImage
exit

then, use command prompt to start novacom file transfer (put novacom.exe in same folder where uImage and uImage.moboot files are, start command prompt, cd to directory where novacom, uImage and uImage files are) and type:

then, use novaterm for this:
cd /boot
ln -sf uImage-2.6.35-palm-tenderloin uImage.webOS
ls -l
Old 08/27/2014, 10:30 AM   #136 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
It be great to have a flashable rom version like you do in android using TWRP or CWM
I tried to reinstall webOS 3.05 to run tailor to make ext3fs , it worked but some how stuffed up webOS 3.05 boot,
but boot ok into lune.OS but no wifi.
ended up wiping whole lot of with data media reset from jcsulians rom toolbox and reinstall android kitkat.
be great to have way to install from android seeing how lune.OS is using android kernel/drivers.

What is this used for?
initramfs-android-image-tenderloin.cpio.gz
Given the alpha state, it might be wise to leave this version in a 'hard to install' condition so that it will be limited to those with sufficient knowledge (or willingness to acquire it!) to detect and report errors.

When the big issues are fixed, there could be an easier beta package for the rest of us to find the more obscure bugs.

There is a danger of the thread filling up with enthusiasts complaining about usability or crashes, having to doctor, etc. Then there's a danger that the port is labelled as buggy when it's not actually ready.

It's just my opinion, but I assume that's a formalised process: Get it running, release to those who can report or even fix major problems, then a wider beta test, then official release.
Old 08/27/2014, 03:20 PM   #137 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Given the alpha state, it might be wise to leave this version in a 'hard to install' condition so that it will be limited to those with sufficient knowledge (or willingness to acquire it!) to detect and report errors.

When the big issues are fixed, there could be an easier beta package for the rest of us to find the more obscure bugs.

There is a danger of the thread filling up with enthusiasts complaining about usability or crashes, having to doctor, etc. Then there's a danger that the port is labelled as buggy when it's not actually ready.

It's just my opinion, but I assume that's a formalised process: Get it running, release to those who can report or even fix major problems, then a wider beta test, then official release.
It installs on it's own partition, so should leave your webOS intact :-) Only thing that you can mess up is Moboot but that's easily fixable :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 08/27/2014, 10:13 PM   #138 (permalink)

Is it possible to install without using webOS / tailor on existing data media android install?
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2014, 02:45 PM   #139 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'm having a bit of trouble with this part of the process taken from here Install WOP for Tenderloin - WebOS-Ports. These steps are done in novaterm.
mount -o remount,rw /boot (no issue)
cd /boot (no issue)
rm uImage (no issue)
exit - no issue but novaterm ceases to allow input after you do this...so where are the following commands supposed to be input? I assume I'm supposed to rename uImage from the download in step "2"...should be step 4...to uImage.LuneOS but am unsure where to put those files (including uImage.moboot_0.3.8) on my PC. Anything I try ends with errors about no such file, or can't find file, or uImage missing (I did follow rm uImage...so that's not a surprise but I think you can understand my frustration)
novacom put file://boot/uImage.LuneOS < uImage - need help!
novacom put file://boot/uImage < uImage.moboot_0.3.8 - need the same help!

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Alan Morford; 08/29/2014 at 02:51 PM.
Alan Morford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2014, 03:11 PM   #140 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
I'm having a bit of trouble with this part of the process taken from here Install WOP for Tenderloin - WebOS-Ports. These steps are done in novaterm.
mount -o remount,rw /boot (no issue)
cd /boot (no issue)
rm uImage (no issue)
exit - no issue but novaterm ceases to allow input after you do this...so where are the following commands supposed to be input? I assume I'm supposed to rename uImage from the download in step "2"...should be step 4...to uImage.LuneOS but am unsure where to put those files (including uImage.moboot_0.3.8) on my PC. Anything I try ends with errors about no such file, or can't find file, or uImage missing (I did follow rm uImage...so that's not a surprise but I think you can understand my frustration)
novacom put file://boot/uImage.LuneOS < uImage - need help!
novacom put file://boot/uImage < uImage.moboot_0.3.8 - need the same help!

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
I tried to clarify the instructions on the page

You don't need to rename anything! The uImage you download from WebOS Ports will be put as uImage.LuneOS with the Novacom command you run from your PC.

The same applies to Moboot.

So both these files should be on your local PC!

Last edited by Herrie; 08/29/2014 at 03:18 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote