webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Impressions of latest open webOS (ports) builds
Impressions of latest open webOS (ports) builds
Like Tree69Likes

Old 03/16/2014, 01:15 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
There is no phone and messaging app (yet) for the rest it's improving every day!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
sounds promising, thanks!
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2014, 01:38 PM   #62 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
There is no phone and messaging app (yet) for the rest it's improving every day!

I may be entirely wrong, but I'm under the impression that it was possible to make a call (maybe from the command line). Also, there may even be an app - or it's not too much trouble to make one. What was required was to do the 'wiring' that enabled the app to do the dialling. So that functionality may be even closer than it seems.

I don't think the telephony parts of webOS were released to OwOS. That is why a new app would be required.

I await correction...
Old 03/16/2014, 02:14 PM   #63 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
We now have some kind of keymanager back.
And I finally succeeded in syncing my owncloud server with owo-emulator. So we are moving ahead.
I have no device to test the port, but I'm interested in this emulator. I can't seem to find it on the githubs for OwOS or Ports. Is it something I can try? I assume it is OwOS and not a virtual version of the current Ports build. Is it the standard Linux kernel version that was available when the original open-sourcing was completed or something else?
Old 03/16/2014, 05:42 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
I have no device to test the port, but I'm interested in this emulator. I can't seem to find it on the githubs for OwOS or Ports. Is it something I can try? I assume it is OwOS and not a virtual version of the current Ports build. Is it the standard Linux kernel version that was available when the original open-sourcing was completed or something else?
Some info here on setting up emulator if you hadn't seen
Emulator - WebOS-Ports
Thanked By: Preemptive
Old 03/17/2014, 08:37 PM   #65 (permalink)

hehe..lets cheer our fellow developers to get an Alpha out of the door....

my pre 3 is showing it's age - mic not working always, random reboots, slows down, heats up.. hmm..

daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2014, 01:07 AM   #66 (permalink)

The Alpha 3 release looks to be coming up soon. Can't wait to see the progress.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2014, 11:50 AM   #67 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
hehe..lets cheer our fellow developers to get an Alpha out of the door....
Of course, if YOU are a fellow developer, you can always get involved and use your skills to speed this up! ;-)

For the rest of us, I hope we can find ways to help. I know there are some on these forums who are very good at graphics. The other thing we can maybe help with is documentation - not just instructional manuals, but promotion.

Many complain about the poor marketing of the original webOS. There will be an opportunity for them to do it better - though on a much smaller scale.

My hope is that when there is a generally functional release, a lot more people will jump in with tweaks, patches improvements & even new apps. It is of course extremely unlikely that webOS will become mainstream - at least in the short to medium term, but we can hope for a future when all the patches, updates and work arounds that are being made can legitimately be incorporated into future releases. That and access to newer hardware may enliven and even expand the number of webOS users. Some will be interested developers, but if this community makes an effort, we can promote it to the general user. There are potentially a lot more of them and they are the ones who will be interested in the features that we think makes for a better mobile OS. They will also buy apps & donate to webOS projects.

If we can start getting users, that will keep webOS going and possibly attract an OEM (or finally persuade LG!). That's when dedicated hardware becomes possible and the chance of a resurgence.

Don't forget, there is AndroidChroot which might be able to address an app gap if it can work on Open webOS. ACL is made by a commercial company, but they might be interested in tweaking it for OwOS if there is a userbase...
Old 03/21/2014, 05:54 PM   #68 (permalink)

This thread was started for the express purpose of talking webOS ports. At the time, no one on the forum was really talking about trying out builds etc.

Glad to see it more active. I just moved off my Gnex as my daily driver (have oppo find 5) so the GNex will only be running open webOS ports builds soon.
Old 03/28/2014, 01:42 PM   #69 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I've got to get back into this. Last I left off, my GNex was stuck in a bootloop...

Must try fresh Alpha goodness.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2014, 08:12 PM   #70 (permalink)

Downloaded and booted the emulator, but I can't get the mouse integration to work. ..
Let everyone know if I figure it out. Something wrong with the mouse integration as it isn't supported.

Last edited by Rennat; 04/03/2014 at 08:20 PM.
Rennat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2014, 10:57 PM   #71 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Downloaded and booted the emulator, but I can't get the mouse integration to work. ..
Let everyone know if I figure it out. Something wrong with the mouse integration as it isn't supported.
Mouse intergration works for me. Make sure to use the x86 build for now, the x64 one seems to have some problems that still need solving.

Old 04/05/2014, 11:29 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Mouse intergration works for me. Make sure to use the x86 build for now, the x64 one seems to have some problems that still need solving.

I was using the 64 bit version on 64 bit ubuntu 13.10. Downloading the 32 bit version right now.
Old 04/09/2014, 07:24 AM   #73 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
I may be entirely wrong, but I'm under the impression that it was possible to make a call (maybe from the command line). Also, there may even be an app - or it's not too much trouble to make one. What was required was to do the 'wiring' that enabled the app to do the dialling. So that functionality may be even closer than it seems.

I don't think the telephony parts of webOS were released to OwOS. That is why a new app would be required.

I await correction...
You are right here... the backend stuff for phone calls is already there. WebOS ports just needs someone doing the UI... morphis even offered wiring the UI to the backend if somebody comes up with something... so if anybody has some spare time to work through the enyo-tutorials and create a phone UI, that would already be helpful, I guess...
In fact there is quite some lack on the UI part of other things, too...

Quote:
laymans' terms- we can so call backup the device onto our 'cloud backup' which can be our laptop?...
No, sorry.. that was using the wrong terms on my end... it's not about file transfer or backup, it is about contact and calendar sync. Sorry.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/09/2014, 07:30 AM   #74 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
You are right here... the backend stuff for phone calls is already there. WebOS ports just needs someone doing the UI... morphis even offered wiring the UI to the backend if somebody comes up with something... so if anybody has some spare time to work through the enyo-tutorials and create a phone UI, that would already be helpful, I guess...
In fact there is quite some lack on the UI part of other things, too...

No, sorry.. that was using the wrong terms on my end... it's not about file transfer or backup, it is about contact and calendar sync. Sorry.
Actually, there is already a QML phone-app in the works, so we don't need that one urgently! So the focus should better be on a messaging app, because that is the main app that is missing still in order to use it as a daily driver!
Old 04/09/2014, 07:34 AM   #75 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I wonder if it's possible to get pcworld to provide his code for QuickChat for Facebook. It's very similar to the messaging app and has a fantastic layout in enyo. I know I'd really enjoy using a messaging app like that.
Old 04/09/2014, 07:58 AM   #76 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
I wonder if it's possible to get pcworld to provide his code for QuickChat for Facebook. It's very similar to the messaging app and has a fantastic layout in enyo. I know I'd really enjoy using a messaging app like that.
I think we'd prefer something in Enyo 2, but it would be a good start. Many kinds from Enyo 1 have been made available in Enyo 2, but not all. So it depends a which kinds are being used
Old 05/10/2014, 03:33 PM   #77 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Here's a blog post about building Open webOS

Open webOS Chronicles, Part 1: Building | Blag
Thanked by MudShark22, RumoredNow
Old 05/19/2014, 04:26 PM   #78 (permalink)

Well I gave up on the Oppo Find 5; nice phone, but in the end I liked my GNex better. So I went back to it and sold the oppo.

So bring on the open webos goodness!!
Old 05/19/2014, 08:12 PM   #79 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I wonder if these new Silver phones will be as open as the nexus range (nexi?)

Do you think this would be a good port candidate? It already has CM.
Android Modders, Your Ultimate Flagship Phone Has Arrived | Gadget Lab | WIRED
Old 06/04/2014, 06:58 PM   #80 (permalink)

Question for those in the know:
If my GNex is running CM 10.2.1, do I need to downgrade my android install to get open webOS-ports to work?

I thought I read something about needing to use CM 10.1 only, but perhaps I am mistaken.