webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Running Android app games on webOS (new solution - apkenv)?
Running Android app games on webOS (new solution - apkenv)?
Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Herrie
  • 3 Post By Zer0C001
  • 3 Post By Zer0C001
  • 1 Post By morphis#WN

Old 08/22/2013, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Seems like our friends at Meego managed to get Android apps running using apkenv (thp.io) on the N9, N900 and it's also being used on Open Pandora.

I personally don't have the knowledge to confirm if this would be usable on (Open) webOS or not? So I'd be grateful if some skilled developer could have a look at this!

I know Phoenix is working on ACL for the Touchpad but as far as we know that's only for the Touchpad for now. It would be great if we could run Android apps on other "legacy" devices as well and in the future on Open webOS as well.

Last edited by Herrie; 08/22/2013 at 06:40 AM.
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, MAMISHO, T-Pad and 1 others like this.
Thanked by MAMISHO, Remy X, Rnp
Old 08/22/2013, 04:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Here's what I found:
TLDR: Should be possible for WebOS, and not possible for OpenWebOS.

First of all it is not a Dalvik VM ( and ACL is ), so it will only ever work for apps written with the adnroid ndk, that means mostly ( probably only ) games, and only some of them. It also needs a wrapper to be written for just about every app you want to run.

It depends on libsdl and libgles, which we do have for all WebOS devices, however since ( at least in it's current state ) OpenWebOS does not support native SDL apps ( in my opinion, this is a bug and needs to be fixed as soon as graphics work ) it will not work on OpenWebOS.

It also needs some libs from android, and ( since i never cared to search for such a thing ) I was surprised to find out that there are ( more or less ) working ports of android for webos devices, from which we can get them.
Zer0C001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, ArchonAdvisors and Remy X like this.
Thanked by Remy X, Rnp, T-Pad
Old 08/22/2013, 05:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Some good news for OpenWebOS:
While I was browsing the webos-ports github page I came across the project luna-next, with the following description :
Quote:
This is the repository of a prototype for a next generation webOS UI. It's meant to be a complete replacement for LunaSysMgr/WebAppMgr and is completely based on well known open source technologies like Qt 5 and Wayland.
And since there is work done on getting SDL to work with Wayland, maybe it will be possible in a future version of OpenWebOS.

And AFAIK the new SailfishOS ( the successor of MeeGo ) devices will run standard Linux with Wayland and a custom window manager ... so there's an easy target to port to.
Zer0C001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, ArchonAdvisors and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 08/22/2013, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0C001 View Post
And AFAIK the new SailfishOS ( the successor of MeeGo ) devices will run standard Linux with Wayland and a custom window manager ... so there's an easy target to port to.
Nokia is about to release a new Jolla (Sailfish) handset.. so we could see some cool targets on the horizon

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2013, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Nokia is about to release a new Jolla (Sailfish) handset.. so we could see some cool targets on the horizon
Nokia isn't... It's ex-Nokia employees who now started Jolla which is therefore NOT Nokia
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2013, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0C001 View Post
Some good news for OpenWebOS:
While I was browsing the webos-ports github page I came across the project luna-next, with the following description :

And since there is work done on getting SDL to work with Wayland, maybe it will be possible in a future version of OpenWebOS.

Quote:
We already have a version of SDL 2.0 which has support for wayland and is able to run SDL clients within luna-next so we're coming closer to have things like games working too.
morphis#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Zer0C001 likes this.
Thanked By: Zer0C001
Old 08/23/2013, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Nokia isn't... It's ex-Nokia employees who now started Jolla which is therefore NOT Nokia
Yeah... I was scratching me noggin over the HelloNNNewman statement and was wondering if Nokia did an about face...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2013, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing, I was not aware of this and now my N9 can run android apps. Great!
mankmil is offline   Reply With Quote