Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Herrie
  • 3 Post By Zer0C001
  • 3 Post By Zer0C001
  • 1 Post By morphis#WN
  1.    #1  
    Seems like our friends at Meego managed to get Android apps running using apkenv (thp.io) on the N9, N900 and it's also being used on Open Pandora.

I personally don't have the knowledge to confirm if this would be usable on (Open) webOS or not? So I'd be grateful if some skilled developer could have a look at this!

I know Phoenix is working on ACL for the Touchpad but as far as we know that's only for the Touchpad for now. It would be great if we could run Android apps on other "legacy" devices as well and in the future on Open webOS as well.
    Last edited by Herrie; 08/22/2013 at 07:40 AM.
    Remy X, T-Pad, Rnp and 1 others like this.
    Here's what I found:
    TLDR: Should be possible for WebOS, and not possible for OpenWebOS.

First of all it is not a Dalvik VM ( and ACL is ), so it will only ever work for apps written with the adnroid ndk, that means mostly ( probably only ) games, and only some of them. It also needs a wrapper to be written for just about every app you want to run.

It depends on libsdl and libgles, which we do have for all WebOS devices, however since ( at least in it's current state ) OpenWebOS does not support native SDL apps ( in my opinion, this is a bug and needs to be fixed as soon as graphics work ) it will not work on OpenWebOS.

It also needs some libs from android, and ( since i never cared to search for such a thing ) I was surprised to find out that there are ( more or less ) working ports of android for webos devices, from which we can get them.
    Remy X, Rnp and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    Some good news for OpenWebOS:
    While I was browsing the webos-ports github page I came across the project luna-next, with the following description :
    This is the repository of a prototype for a next generation webOS UI. It's meant to be a complete replacement for LunaSysMgr/WebAppMgr and is completely based on well known open source technologies like Qt 5 and Wayland.
    And since there is work done on getting SDL to work with Wayland, maybe it will be possible in a future version of OpenWebOS.

And AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $new$ $SailfishOS$ ( $the$ $successor$ $of$ $MeeGo$ ) $devices$ $will$ $run$ $standard$ $Linux$ $with$ $Wayland$ $and$ $a$ $custom$ $window$ $manager$ ... $so$ $there$'$s$ $an$ $easy$ $target$ $to$ $port$ $to$.
    Remy X, Rnp and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zer0C001 View Post
    And AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $new$ $SailfishOS$ ( $the$ $successor$ $of$ $MeeGo$ ) $devices$ $will$ $run$ $standard$ $Linux$ $with$ $Wayland$ $and$ $a$ $custom$ $window$ $manager$ ... $so$ $there$'$s$ $an$ $easy$ $target$ $to$ $port$ $to$.
    Nokia is about to release a new Jolla (Sailfish) handset.. so we could see some cool targets on the horizon
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Nokia is about to release a new Jolla (Sailfish) handset.. so we could see some cool targets on the horizon
    Nokia isn't... It's ex-Nokia employees who now started Jolla which is therefore NOT Nokia
    Quote Originally Posted by Zer0C001 View Post
    Some good news for OpenWebOS:
    While I was browsing the webos-ports github page I came across the project luna-next, with the following description :

And since there is work done on getting SDL to work with Wayland, maybe it will be possible in a future version of OpenWebOS.

We already have a version of SDL 2.0 which has support for wayland and is able to run SDL clients within luna-next so we're coming closer to have things like games working too.
    Zer0C001 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Nokia isn't... It's ex-Nokia employees who now started Jolla which is therefore NOT Nokia
    Yeah... I was scratching me noggin over the HelloNNNewman statement and was wondering if Nokia did an about face...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Thanks for sharing, I was not aware of this and now my N9 can run android apps. Great!