webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open webOS on a windows tablet
Open webOS on a windows tablet
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Herrie
  • 2 Post By RumoredNow
  • 2 Post By Herrie

Old 08/19/2013, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Can I install open webOS in an emulator on a Windows 8 tablet?
mdram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2013, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Theoretically yes! Penk created a bootable live-cd/ISO that might work from inside VirtualBox already a while ago, see http://penkia.blogspot.nl/2012/10/un...livecdusb.html

The WebOS Ports team is working on their own image too which should be available in the not too distant future.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 08/19/2013, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Theoretically yes! Penk created a bootable live-cd/ISO that might work from inside VirtualBox already a while ago, see penk: Unofficial Open webOS liveCD/USB

The WebOS Ports team is working on their own image too which should be available in the not too distant future.

hehe..."not too distant future"...very vague indeed..

not putting much hopes in anything right now...actually tried to avoid webosnations for 1 week....coming here can be stressful... putting hope..and yet seeing nothing that kinda feelin...
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2013, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:

not putting much hopes in anything right now...actually tried to avoid webosnations for 1 week....coming here can be stressful... putting hope..and yet seeing nothing that kinda feelin...
As you know the Ports team doesn't give ETA's. They were discussing it in IRC today though and working out some logistics :-)

Last edited by Herrie; 08/20/2013 at 01:41 AM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2013, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post

Well, in order to be a proper Zombie OS it has to molder suitably first...

*Brainz... er... um... Phonez... Phonez...*

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969 and xandros9 like this.
Old 08/20/2013, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
As you know the Ports team doesn't give ETA's. They were discussing it in IRC today though and working out some logistics :-)

yup..Herrie, i totally understand... until the port is cooked and baked and ready to be eaten, Ports will not bring it out of the oven....It's the human factor. The wait is killing me, and therefore for me so that I do not get dissappointed by the lack of any movement in anyplace (no fault of Ports), just a human failing, I will "try' not to visit webosnation....UNTIL something is here to put some hope into...

disapointments are all over - but to not even smell a new 'webos' over the horizon is an utter disappointment to myself - again I'm using a human weakness and not directing at anyone..
Old 08/20/2013, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
yup..Herrie, i totally understand... until the port is cooked and baked and ready to be eaten, Ports will not bring it out of the oven....It's the human factor. The wait is killing me, and therefore for me so that I do not get dissappointed by the lack of any movement in anyplace (no fault of Ports), just a human failing, I will "try' not to visit webosnation....UNTIL something is here to put some hope into...

disapointments are all over - but to not even smell a new 'webos' over the horizon is an utter disappointment to myself - again I'm using a human weakness and not directing at anyone..
There are interesting things happening (both at Ports and LG for that matter). Ports deciding to release a VirtualBox image is also part of keeping the community up to date with the latest developments; people who don't have a Galaxy Nexus or don't dare to try the alpha release yet can now see the progress themselves in VirtualBox
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by T-Pad and Remy X like this.
Old 08/20/2013, 03:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

I appreciate that there are movements...yet to many of us it is long suffering movements. To myself and many of us, movements without any timelines whether they are targets or estimates is the same..because there is nothing to look forward to. and I understand why ports will not want to do that but for lg to be in silence is disquietening.

if lg tells us to look forward to christmas as a hint , then I would know for sure that there is an end goal.
anyway..status quo...we wait

Quote:
There are interesting things happening (both at Ports and LG for that matter). Ports deciding to release a VirtualBox image is also part of keeping the community up to date with the latest developments; people who don't have a Galaxy Nexus or don't dare to try the alpha release yet can now see the progress themselves in VirtualBox