webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > LG G2 - with GRAM!
LG G2 - with GRAM!
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By mattmers
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 6 Post By dkirker
  • 2 Post By kevets
  • 2 Post By lansing

Old 08/08/2013, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Quote:
For more efficient energy usage, the LG G2 employs Graphic RAM (GRAM) technology. GRAM reduces the display’s energy use by up to 26 percent on a still frame and increases overall usage time on the device by approximately 10 percent. And with a generous 3,000mAh battery that is thoughtfully designed to take maximum advantage of the interior space, the LG G2 is more than ready for a full day’s work or play.
Quote:
Key Specifications:
- Processor: 2.26GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 800 featuring quad Krait CPU
- Display: 5.2-inch Full HD IPS (1080 x 1920 pixels / 423 ppi)
- Memory: 32GB / 16GB
- RAM: 2GB LPDDR3 800MHz
- Camera: Rear 13.0MP with OIS / Front 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,000mAh
- Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2
- Size: 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9mm
- Colors: Black / White
How bout it, webos ports?? This would be incredible.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2013, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Qualcomm processor so no

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
Twitter: MatthewMers
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cujoq37 likes this.
Old 08/08/2013, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

And no keyboard so no for me.

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cujoq37 likes this.
Old 08/08/2013, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmers View Post
Qualcomm processor so no
Don't be so quick to judge, unless you have a personal boycott going against the chipmaker... there's a number of Qualcomm powered devices that do have CyanogenMod support, which can be used as a springboard for porting OwOS. So it depends on each parcticular phone, how much success the XDA devs have with it, etc...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: mattmers
Old 08/08/2013, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Don't be so quick to judge, unless you have a personal boycott going against the chipmaker... there's a number of Qualcomm powered devices that do have CyanogenMod support, which can be used as a springboard for porting OwOS. So it depends on each parcticular phone, how much success the XDA devs have with it, etc...
those have support only because of qualcomm's own touchpads that came pre-loaded with their own android system stuffed complete with native android drivers which ended up in the hands of the public then CM devs, thats likely why we have touchpad ports but no pre3 etc.

i believe some of those QComm android touchpads got ebay'd for some large quantities of cash.

Agree tho that we cant just expect a port to any latest and greatest device just because its desirable, the drivers/other issues arent an easy wall to climb.
Old 08/08/2013, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
How bout it, webos ports?? This would be incredible.
and the 5" screen is useless so
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2013, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
those have support only because of qualcomm's own touchpads that came pre-loaded with their own android system stuffed complete with native android drivers which ended up in the hands of the public then CM devs, thats likely why we have touchpad ports but no pre3 etc.

i believe some of those QComm android touchpads got ebay'd for some large quantities of cash.

Agree tho that we cant just expect a port to any latest and greatest device just because its desirable, the drivers/other issues arent an easy wall to climb.
There are phones like the Oppo Find5 that also make use of the Qualcomm chipset, but have CM... the Touchpad was different, and i'm mostly talking about native Android devices...
Old 08/09/2013, 12:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
There are phones like the Oppo Find5 that also make use of the Qualcomm chipset, but have CM... the Touchpad was different, and i'm mostly talking about native Android devices...
i just meant in the case of the qualcomm touchpads that got released into users/devs hands, those were native android which is why people tried to snatch them up for their internal androidy goodness.
Old 08/09/2013, 02:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i just meant in the case of the qualcomm touchpads that got released into users/devs hands, those were native android which is why people tried to snatch them up for their internal androidy goodness.
Yeah, i understand. I was just trying to be clear, that Qualcomm, or not, the thing to look for in porting targets would be third party ROM support (CM, Paranoid Android, etc)... since the webOS port would be making use of OEM Android drivers and the most important thing is being able to compile the kernel.

So mattmers' aversion to Qualcomm hardware is either on ideological grounds, or he simply misunderstood
Old 08/09/2013, 04:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

So... open webOS is based (or at least the webOS-Ports version) on libHybris, which pretty much means that if it can run ICS, it is likely to be able to run open webOS.

BUT! Someone has to put the energy out to connect the dots. We have a community. If you want it, step up.

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Grabber5.0, cujoq37 and 3 others like this.
Thanked by Grabber5.0, jrb363, Remy X
Old 08/09/2013, 10:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

I am kind of shocked at some of the responses. I would be thrilled to see open webOS survive on ANY device, so I wouldn't really be picky about lack of keyboard or screen being too big. We're just making conversation here anyway. At some point, you have to realize that there's nothing like Pre 3 on the market and there may never be. Best chance is probably a BB10 slider recreation of the Torch, but that's all speculation still and would have no real chance of running any other OS.

I just thought the combination of a Qualcomm krait CPU/GPU with 2GB RAM, a 13MP camera, and a 3,000mAh battery was pretty compelling. Oh, and it's built by the current 'owners' of webOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
Liked by Grabber5.0 and RumoredNow like this.
Old 08/09/2013, 10:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
So... open webOS is based (or at least the webOS-Ports version) on libHybris, which pretty much means that if it can run ICS, it is likely to be able to run open webOS.

BUT! Someone has to put the energy out to connect the dots. We have a community. If you want it, step up.
That's pretty encouraging, thanks! If it hasn't been asked before - does that include radio functionality on CDMA devices, or am I stuck living out my webOS dream on unlocked GSM devices?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2013, 12:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
That's pretty encouraging, thanks! If it hasn't been asked before - does that include radio functionality on CDMA devices, or am I stuck living out my webOS dream on unlocked GSM devices?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
If it works on Cyanogenmod or Ubuntu Touch it should theoretically also work from what I understood :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Herrie; 08/09/2013 at 01:17 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2013, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Look how open-source-friendly Qualcomm is:
Jean-Baptiste Quéru quits AOSP, Qualcomm legal drama could be to blame

Quote:
Well, I see that people have figured out why I'm quitting AOSP.

There's no point being the maintainer of an Operating System that can't boot to the home screen on its flagship device (the new Nexus 7) for lack of GPU support, especially when I'm getting the blame for something that I don't have authority to fix myself and that I had anticipated and escalated more than 6 months ahead.
As far as I have read Qualcomm doesn't provide open-source drivers (which is quite normal for Qualcomm), but now they won't even provide binary drivers.
Old 08/09/2013, 05:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post

As far as I have read Qualcomm doesn't provide open-source drivers (which is quite normal for Qualcomm), but now they won't even provide binary drivers.
Google is being too passive here and allowing to be *****ed on
Old 08/10/2013, 01:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

LG should hire this Jean-Baptiste Quéru. Put him on the webOS open source team.

lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by eKeith and Remy X like this.
Old 08/12/2013, 10:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

LinkedIn says he's a software engineer at Google, so that seems unlikely. Is it TI that makes the open source friendly OMAP cpus?

Old 08/12/2013, 10:42 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post

Isn't this sorted now?

Google Changes Course, Posts 2013 Nexus 7 (Razor) Factory Image And Binaries
Isandunk is offline   Reply With Quote