webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Time to move on?
Time to move on?
Like Tree58Likes

Old 08/25/2013, 08:10 PM   #61 (permalink)

Alright, I'll jump on the phone/car analogy.

Both Pre and iphone/Android are cars. They both take you from point A to B. This is the most basic functionality. Does your Pre still call and text and email? Yes. That's equivalent to point A to B in a car.

The real analogy is that iphone and android have better hardware, which is equivalent to a car that's bigger with more room with more power, with more acceleration. And another analogy is having no apps vs apps. I would say apps are extra amenities that allows a car to go above and beyond just getting from A to B. So apps would be like having a moonroof, XM radio, cruise control, a backup camera, GPS, etc.

At the end of the day, phone/car analogy is not that great to begin with since it's so apples to oranges. A closer comparison is the video game console wars. I was and am a big Sega man but before Genesis(Mega Drive), Sega was always in the shadows of Nintendo. I had Sega Master System. All of my friends at school had NES. They can go over to each other's homes and take their games, they can borrow games from each other. I was lucky if I found one other person at school with Sega. It was tough being a Sega owner. I didn't have access to Mario, Zelda, Gradius, Castlevania, or Final Fantasy, and other very popular games. I was playing the Sega versions of them, if at all. There were fewer choices. It was a different experience. Fast forward 20 years and I bought a Pre. I went through 7 of them (b/c the build was so crappy) before I finally succumbed and went to Android. Not because I really wanted but b/c staying with my Pre became too painful. It reminded me of my Sega experience all over again, constantly being the underdog and not having the big games.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by siggi_digital and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: siggi_digital
Old 08/26/2013, 12:45 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggi_digital View Post
You don't need a battery to drive a car, unless you have an EV
Ouch ... wrong.
Pop the hood now and then and have a look, if you don't believe me.
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 08/26/2013, 01:01 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Ouch ... wrong.
yup,

the coils that feed into the spark plugs get their power from the battery, not the alternator..

In an older cat-less car you could just push it down a hill while starting, if your battery is nearly (but not completely!) flat... the wheels turn the transmission which turns the engine which turns the alternator, and you get enough power in the battery to spark up and keep going... with the catalytic converters however, you cannot... otherwise you'll get so much unburned gasoline in the catalytic converter that once it reaches operating temperature, it'll glow red, like the lit end of a cigarette, and then burn out (expensive to replace!)

Okay... enough about cars
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 08/26/2013, 02:06 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Ouch ... wrong.
Theoretically you could use a kickstart to start the car. So you don't need a battery to drive

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 4 Beta
siggi_digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2013, 02:39 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Theoretically you could use a kickstart to start the car. So you don't need a battery to drive

But it wouldn't idle, at all

Because if you fall below a certain RPM, like maybe 700, the engine will just die... and you know, there's other stuff, like the power steering pump that requires electricity

The battery has a very important function of compensating for sudden extra load when power draw increases, and taking up extra power produced by the alternator when the load is lower. If you somehow happen to drive with a bad battery (low capacity), you'll eventually need to rebuild the alternator, when the diodes burn out

...But hey, i don't mean to sound like a pedantic ***-hole ...it doesn't really matter who is right and who is wrong, it's just a forum

Last edited by Remy X; 08/26/2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08/26/2013, 10:48 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
But it wouldn't idle, at all

Because if you fall below a certain RPM, like maybe 700, the engine will just die... and you know, there's other stuff, like the power steering pump that requires electricity

The battery has a very important function of compensating for sudden extra load when power draw increases, and taking up extra power produced by the alternator when the load is lower. If you somehow happen to drive with a bad battery (low capacity), you'll eventually need to rebuild the alternator, when the diodes burn out

...But hey, i don't mean to sound like a pedantic ***-hole ...it doesn't really matter who is right and who is wrong, it's just a forum
Just a forum? It's the last resort of webos

Old 08/26/2013, 12:56 PM   #67 (permalink)

Well, for what it's worth - App cards were what I loved the most about WebOS, and that functionality has most certainly made it into the next version of IOS. Works splendidly well in Beta 6; not as pretty as it was in WebOS, but it definitely works. So if that was one of your favorite features, as it was mine, you might find the iPhone to be a nice fit when IOS 7 is released next month.

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2013, 01:10 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:

Yes it is.

I was referring to car talk... That it's not important who "wins", because it's off-topic anyway
Old 08/27/2013, 01:12 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
We're like the guys in the Asterix comics ... dunno if you know them
Thanked By: siggi_digital
Old 08/27/2013, 03:56 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
We're like the guys in the Asterix comics ... dunno if you know them
Than Google is the imperium romanum?

Liked by Buddy1969 and Remy X like this.
Old 08/27/2013, 08:30 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
People have asked me when I'm going to upgrade my Pre3. I just shrug and say something like "when it stops working". Honestly, there aren't any phones that I'm interested in anyway except for maybe the Ubuntu one.
grr...it looks like if I can't find my OEM battery and get it restarted, I may have to look into either a new phone or just stick with my Pre2 & Veer. Damn Mugen battery killed my Pre3.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2013, 12:43 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Than Google is the imperium romanum?

"Them Romans are crazy"

BTW, I found a nice obituary for WebOS here:
Using webOS today | Pocketnow

Very nicely put, I think.
Old 08/28/2013, 02:00 AM   #73 (permalink)

Back to topic: Google drops nexus 4 price to 249$ 16gb, so everybody get one and start porting. Galaxy Nexus are hard to find

Old 09/15/2013, 09:31 PM   #74 (permalink)

My sprint FrankenPre2 finally had to be put down. Cracked case, battery with <80% health, Sprint discontinuing navigation, web browser not loading pages properly, and unable to pull up maps before the next day made me to finally move on (still going 100% with my Touchpad with webOS).

My first android experience was with the L Optimus s. I hated it so much I built a frankenPre2. Loved it until the day I last powered it down. I installed CM7, CM9 and CM10 on my Touchpad. I liked CM10, but still loved webOS even more.

Now for a phone, with no webOS in the future except for LG upcoming toasters, I had to get a new phone. I never liked the iPhone, but do see how it appeals to the masses. It is too ridged and very simple to use. I had considered getting the 5S, but still could not convince myself.

I also looked into the BB Q10. Then again, I was thinking, should I jump a sinking ship? Yes it has a keyboard (big plus), and could run some android apps, but was it worth it. The OS navigation was cool and multitasking, but I could not find a model to check out.

Windows 8, well I saw how you can pull up maps, but the tile based screen was way to busy for me.

Then we have android stuff. I had four possible candidates: HTC one, S4, Note 2, and Moto X. HTC One I did not like the android skin that HTC put on on it. The S4 was cool but too big of a phone. The Note 2 was OK but way to big (but I would have gotten it f I had no Touchpad).

Now the Moto X. It had a great feel even with the Otter Commuter box on it. Second, the Active Voice is great. Asking your phone to get directions on the fly while driving is so cool. Chrome has on android has improved how they manage the tabs. It is almost like a card interface. The multitask or app switcher is smooth but not like webOS cards, but good enough. The android in it is almost stock, which is a good thing. Oh, the camera function is great. Simple zoom and other enhancements really make it great.

Anyways, I may get some flack in pimping the Moto X, but for now it is best phone (for me) to replace my 4th and final palm phone (Treo 650, Treo 800w, Pre, and frankenPre2).

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X

Last edited by imurrx; 09/16/2013 at 06:45 PM.
imurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2013, 10:57 PM   #75 (permalink)

One thing that keeps me from jumping ship is time management. I have a habit of becoming pre-occupied with new toys. I mean, where does it end? There is something new popping up every six months!

These "big, bad" new devices would be too tempting for me and would likely cause me to become absorbed into the apps and all the glitz. There aren't enough hours in the day to to use some of those devices to their full extent. Plus, I want to be here for my family, I don't need more distractions in this day and age.

I probably could get by with a "feature phone", with the exception of Exchange email for work. But I have to draw the line somehwere. No Jitterbug for this guy

I know that I won't be able to use my webOS hardware forever. But I am going to keep it going until I simply can't. It still does what I need, despite no market presence. Still just feels right in my hand too!
jccjmml7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by PalmPixi_User23 likes this.