webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Time to move on?
Time to move on?
Like Tree58Likes

Old 08/09/2013, 11:30 AM   #21 (permalink)

of course Open WebOS is not going to amount to anything compared to IOS or Android. IOS and android are being pushed along by multi-billion dollar companies. I doubt that it will even surpass Legacy WebOS.

Like anything of this type, though, Open WebOS is not about the destination, its about the journey. Anyone who asks about moving on does not understand this.
xortenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2013, 11:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Moving on does not mean you can never come back...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by paisley99 likes this.
Old 08/09/2013, 06:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Moving on does not mean you can never come back...
But moving on does usually imply that you have cut ties. :-) I am using an S2 atm (waiting for a camera to arrive so that I can fix my Pre 3), but I don't consider myself to have moved on.

Last edited by johncc; 08/09/2013 at 09:22 PM.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2013, 11:45 AM   #24 (permalink)

Unfortunately, I have written a little misleading. It was not about to switch to another system. It was to move the system in a direction where there are more developers and potential users.
What I like about webOS, the relatively unmodified Linux as base,
and of course the UI.
And so it would make sense if you share the base with other projects.
siggi_digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2013, 12:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggi_digital View Post
Unfortunately, I have written a little misleading. It was not about to switch to another system. It was to move the system in a direction where there are more developers and potential users.
and of course the UI.
That is a horse of a different color...

...and a whole different discussion.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2013, 12:43 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Makes perfect sense.

How about we self-publish news once a week? We could take a week to write and verify everything, prepare screenshots and photos, start topics a few weeks in advance and sort of snowball from there.

Adding a tag and date to the thread title would make it clear to front page visitors that this is a recent news item. However we can't post this under "News", since images there are strictly prohibited
I think updates to open WebOS can be posted on this website. It's bad for them when literally nothing changes on the front page for a few months. They should just allow a few posts from trusted developers get put in without too much verification. The lack of activity on main website is disturbing. The forums have some activity but many people don't delve into it.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus and Remy X like this.
Old 08/10/2013, 02:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
But moving on does usually imply that you have cut ties. :-) I am using an S2 atm (waiting for a camera to arrive so that I can fix my Pre 3), but I don't consider myself to have moved on.
same can apply to all of us using regular computers?

im an Amiga fan, but solely for gaming tbh i started using PC's/winblows, currently removed all my windows versions (and moved them to VM's) and solely use linux now.

ofc i still create/pimpify my Amiga setups for both normal surviving amiga's (not many now), my FPGA/minimig devices and amiga/uae emulators/variants.

currently have a nice HDF file i'm ever altering which now works on anything, be it the real thing, desktop PC emulator, mobile phone/tablet or FPGA device, which saves me having heaps of different versions lying around, deffo an out of date platform but i still havent "moved on 100%".

so yeah, ill bet theres plenty of retro types still around or people who simply use more than just the typical windows machine, same can apply to any tech devices we use, hell even cars etc.
Old 08/10/2013, 05:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Slightly off-topic, but I bought an AmigaOne 500 last week. I never had an Amiga before but I was always intriqued by AmigaOS 4 and now I finally bought one. Am waiting for it to be shipped to me. And I also got a free license with it for the new Radeon driver they're developing so that's quite nice and I may or may not get a free upgrade to AmigaOS 4.2 when it comes out later this year. I'm switching to AmigaOS 4.x from Linux (I've been using Linux for 5 years now with a very short trip of a few months to OSX).

But at least AmigaOS has a future. It's still being developed by a well sized company (Hyperion Entertainment) who's constantly hiring new developers and 4.2 is coming out later this year bringing stuff like 3D hardware compositing.
And recently a new high-end Amiga called the X1000 launched. It's very expensive but at least it's new hardware (although the 500 I bought is also new hardware of course). And it has a gazillion apps and quite a big community that also hosts AmiWest event every year. So AmigaOS has a brighter future as of the current situation then webOS.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser

Last edited by Vistaus; 08/10/2013 at 05:51 PM.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2013, 03:22 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I bought an AmigaOne 500 last week. I never had an Amiga before but I was always intriqued by AmigaOS 4 and now I finally bought one. Am waiting for it to be shipped to me. And I also got a free license with it for the new Radeon driver they're developing so that's quite nice and I may or may not get a free upgrade to AmigaOS 4.2 when it comes out later this year. I'm switching to AmigaOS 4.x from Linux (I've been using Linux for 5 years now with a very short trip of a few months to OSX).

But at least AmigaOS has a future. It's still being developed by a well sized company (Hyperion Entertainment) who's constantly hiring new developers and 4.2 is coming out later this year bringing stuff like 3D hardware compositing.
And recently a new high-end Amiga called the X1000 launched. It's very expensive but at least it's new hardware (although the 500 I bought is also new hardware of course). And it has a gazillion apps and quite a big community that also hosts AmiWest event every year. So AmigaOS has a brighter future as of the current situation then webOS.
You shouldnt have to abandon linux, your x500 can dual boot into ppc linux, same as the x1000 and the older sam boards.

Competitors keep taking features from webos, i still cant believe more wasnt taken from amigaos, such as the datatypes system or using the dynamic ram drive.
Old 08/11/2013, 04:45 AM   #30 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The one thing so far I don't get about the AmigaOS community is why almost everyone, including you, is trying to convince me to dual-boot or at least not abandon Linux. *I* choose to switch, AmigaOS has more than enough to cover me, stop telling me what to do.

And dual-booting isn't even necessary, there's also a Linux virtual desktop thing or else a remote desktop app.

But I agree on your last statement although on Linux you can easily have a RAM disk.
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=158452

Old 08/11/2013, 09:20 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
The one thing so far I don't get about the AmigaOS community is why almost everyone, including you, is trying to convince me to dual-boot or at least not abandon Linux. *I* choose to switch, AmigaOS has more than enough to cover me, stop telling me what to do.

And dual-booting isn't even necessary, there's also a Linux virtual desktop thing or else a remote desktop app.

But I agree on your last statement although on Linux you can easily have a RAM disk.
Ramdisk GNOME-Look.org
Linux is just an option, i happily abandoned winblows just becase i still have the option of wine on linux, so do what you can on aos, and what u cant u simply have another option still available if needed.

Btw i think the ramdisk u linked is like many on windows or linux, not dynamic. The amiga ramdisk consumes ram when u copy files into it and frees ram when deleted, a lot of windows and linux ones either eat a static qty of ram or their ones that can only grow in size but never shrink.

Just seems a bit weird in this day and age when using devices with limited/lifed read/writes that they all use local storage for temporary junk as opposed to ram when the amiga has been doing it the right way since the 80's.

EDIT: added pic of the ramdrive doing its thing on my emulated workbench.
Attached Images
File Type: png mydefault-real-1308111627-01.png (334.3 KB, 21 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by geekpeter; 08/11/2013 at 10:45 AM.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2013, 02:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I know that Linux is an option. Like I said: I've been using Linux for 5 years so I know my options damn well.

But yes, a RAM disk is very nifty.

Old 08/12/2013, 12:52 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
Just seems a bit weird in this day and age when using devices with limited/lifed read/writes that they all use local storage for temporary junk as opposed to ram when the amiga has been doing it the right way since the 80's.
Yes, but then that's less memory for user programs to use or the OS to use for caching and the manufacturers don't really care if the current model means that the device will have a shorter lifespan than if a ramdisk was used. They would prefer that you just toss it and buy a new replacement.

People have asked me when I'm going to upgrade my Pre3. I just shrug and say something like "when it stops working". Honestly, there aren't any phones that I'm interested in anyway except for maybe the Ubuntu one.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter and Remy X like this.
Old 08/12/2013, 07:26 AM   #34 (permalink)

Ah, tha Amiga .... *getting dreamy eyed* ... it always gets old farts like me into a sentimental mood.
In 10 years from now I might say: "Ah, Palm ...." and be in the same mood

Or as they said in BSG 75: "All this has happened before ..."

Let's get back to topic, tomorrows sentimentality of today: WebOS
Old 08/12/2013, 08:41 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
and of course the UI.
How do you move it in a new direction? From what i hear the current goal is to make Open WebOS work on *something*. which would be a required direction for any os.

As far as sharing the base goes, the open means you can share. Anyone can look at the code and incorporate whatever parts they want into what they are doing.

Not sure what exactly they could do different.
xortenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 08/18/2013, 09:34 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xortenterprises View Post
How do you move it in a new direction? From what i hear the current goal is to make Open WebOS work on *something*. which would be a required direction for any os.

As far as sharing the base goes, the open means you can share. Anyone can look at the code and incorporate whatever parts they want into what they are doing.

Not sure what exactly they could do different.
Use mer as core on wich you can run luna

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 4
Old 08/18/2013, 01:35 PM   #37 (permalink)

I am looking forward to ACL. I HOPE it is going to be the answer to a lot of my problems, mainly apps...

At this point I run my Touchpad on Cyanogen most of the time (about 90%), but I would prefer WebOS with Android apps in cards. Hurry up, guys!
Fisack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2013, 11:19 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
I am looking forward to ACL. I HOPE it is going to be the answer to a lot of my problems, mainly apps...

At this point I run my Touchpad on Cyanogen most of the time (about 90%), but I would prefer WebOS with Android apps in cards. Hurry up, guys!
I don't care much about apps, i want better hardware.

Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 08/21/2013, 12:18 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't care much about apps, i want better hardware.

To me that sounds like someone saying: i don't care about fuel, I need a faster car.
Well, that car won't go anywhere without fuel...
Old 08/21/2013, 01:53 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
To me that sounds like someone saying: i don't care about fuel, I need a faster car.
Well, that car won't go anywhere without fuel...
Sorry but this is not the same thing.