webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > How about a WebOS tablet for elderly/children/techno-illiterate?
How about a WebOS tablet for elderly/children/techno-illiterate?
  Reply
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By EI_Flyboy
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By rnld
  • 1 Post By EI_Flyboy

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07/30/2013, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 5
I have an elderly mother, nearly 70, who hasn't so much as used a typewriter in her entire life so for awhile now I've been thinking a tablet with a simple and intuitive interface would be ideal as a replacement or supplement to a home entertainment system, could also replace the telephone, TV remote control and maybe even books. Tonight I managed to get her using the music player and almost had her using skype on my touchpad which was quite a challenge but not insurmountable, I know if my mother can do it I'm very sure that a simplified version of WebOS would be very easy to master for other old folk, kids and complete techno-phobes. My sister is emigrating to Australia with her kids and I might not be here much longer either so the idea that my mother could use the touchpad for video calls to see us and her grandchildren is what really motivated me to see if this might possibly be more than pie in the sky. The touchpad is a bit heavy but the touchstone charger is perfect because I know the plug wouldn't last very long thanks to shaky hands and poor eye-sight so I think maybe a new lighter, more durable device with wireless charging or an easy to use docking system might be better suited. Whether that be a port over similar to what the cyanogen team do or a commercially backed device, I really think there's a large market for a product like this.

I haven't got the savvy or know how to go about it so I thought I'd just float the idea here to see what others think about it ...
EI_Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 07/31/2013, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Remy X's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,792
What you're thinking about might be a pretty good market niche.

The tablet should have a plastic screen with a factory-installed screen protector (lighter and more durable), and a stain-resistant silicone shell, also for durability and better grip. The Touchstone dock is a great idea.

The LCD panel should be lower DPI, like the current TP screen, which is lighter than high density IPS screens of the same size.

Software-wise you can probably fill that in yourself...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by EI_Flyboy likes this.
Thanked By: EI_Flyboy
Old 07/31/2013, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 755
I bought my 89 year old mom an iPad 2 and she does well with it. She only had typewriter experience as well.

A Touchpad should work.
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by EI_Flyboy likes this.
Old 07/31/2013, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
I bought my 89 year old mom an iPad 2 and she does well with it. She only had typewriter experience as well.

A Touchpad should work.
I wish that were so but straight away the card system is too confusing, it would have to go back to the tiles system that's on the Pre1 where you get the 9 small tiles on the screen if she's to get her had around multiple concurrently running apps. Plus it wold help if the keyboard were a little bigger or a larger 13" or 14" tablet would be away around that plus the larger screen would be all 'round easier on tired eyes. Only other way I can think of solving that problem would be a stylus but that would be lost in no time flat!

Yes Remy, I was thinking retirement homes would be interested in such a system, they'd probably be cheaper than TVs in every room or to compliment a smart TV as it's control which maybe LG might take onboard. As well as the elderly I was thinking hospitals too might be interested and schools not that I mean it to be a competitor to OLPC!
EI_Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2013, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 37
From the get-go I thought WebOs a perfect fit for the elderly and techno-illiterate. With it's simple swipe functions and cards it was a no brainer.
FormFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2013, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,686
no use getting any new fangled device if webOS/open webOS cant run on it, theres only limited stocks of Touchpads and amazingly rare GO's that run webOS properly (3.x) and ofc the same applies to the Pre3 and lower for 2.x

beyond that we have got nothing.
__________________
Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/31/2013, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer
 
boovish's Avatar
 
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by EI_Flyboy View Post
I have an elderly mother, nearly 70, who hasn't so much as used a typewriter in her entire life so for awhile now I've been thinking a tablet with a simple and intuitive interface would be ideal as a replacement or supplement to a home entertainment system, could also replace the telephone, TV remote control and maybe even books. Tonight I managed to get her using the music player and almost had her using skype on my touchpad which was quite a challenge but not insurmountable, I know if my mother can do it I'm very sure that a simplified version of WebOS would be very easy to master for other old folk, kids and complete techno-phobes. My sister is emigrating to Australia with her kids and I might not be here much longer either so the idea that my mother could use the touchpad for video calls to see us and her grandchildren is what really motivated me to see if this might possibly be more than pie in the sky. The touchpad is a bit heavy but the touchstone charger is perfect because I know the plug wouldn't last very long thanks to shaky hands and poor eye-sight so I think maybe a new lighter, more durable device with wireless charging or an easy to use docking system might be better suited. Whether that be a port over similar to what the cyanogen team do or a commercially backed device, I really think there's a large market for a product like this.

I haven't got the savvy or know how to go about it so I thought I'd just float the idea here to see what others think about it ...
Dont they already have a childrens tablet? Also according to the Nokia Lumia Wedding commercial, iOS devices are for old people Switch to the Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone - Engadget Reader's Choice Smartphone of the Year. - YouTube
__________________
HP Think Beyond event link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2013, 04:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boovish View Post
Dont they already have a childrens tablet? Also according to the Nokia Lumia Wedding commercial, iOS devices are for old people Switch to the Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone - Engadget Reader's Choice Smartphone of the Year. - YouTube
Yeah, that's the One Laptop Per Child or OLPC which is aimed at putting a computer in the hands of every child around the world particularly the third world.

For one thing the iPad is very expensive and apple aren't known to be very accommodating to their customer base when it comes to customization. The fact that WebOS is now open source, open to tinkering and easily the most intuitive of all the mobile device OSs makes it's the best choice IMHO.

My mother has a bit of a palsy/shaky fingers which makes hitting the right buttons a bit of a challenge at the best of times so straight away all buttons need to be increased in size, not by a huge amount but just enough to make them more "elderly friendly."
EI_Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
India: HP we continue to study the tablet market. A new webOS tablet ? akitayo HP TouchPad 14 04/11/2012 10:36 AM
Tablet PCs webOS-based HP Hurricane tablet rumored for Q3 meriwether webOS Discussion Lounge 15 05/10/2010 10:10 AM
Help Computer illiterate here Drivers for Pre randesf Palm Pre and Pre Plus 4 08/26/2009 09:11 PM
Any one else here listen to techno? mikeypizano The 'Off Topic' Lounge 6 08/20/2009 08:57 PM
TUTORIALS??? for the techno challenged slowride treo Palm OS Devices & Apps 7 07/18/2006 11:49 PM


 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0