webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Ruh-Roh: LG tv revenue down; can anyone say webOS air conditioner?
Ruh-Roh: LG tv revenue down; can anyone say webOS air conditioner?
Like Tree13Likes

Old 07/24/2013, 06:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

"The air-conditioner business had an operating income of 171 billion won, compared with the 133 billion won median of five analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

Net Income
Net income, excluding minority interest, fell to 132 billion won in the period, missing the 346.5 billion won average of 14 analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Sales rose 10 percent to 15.2 trillion won.
LG’s mobile division had a second-quarter operating profit of 61.2 billion won, compared with a 28 billion won loss a year earlier.

The home-entertainment division, which makes TVs and accounted about 42 percent of revenue last year, had an operating profit of 106.5 billion won in the second quarter, down from 304.3 billion won a year earlier.
With weaker demand crimping profitability in televisions, the company is pushing into high-end TVs using organic light-emitting diodes, or OLEDs, and upgraded liquid crystal displays to try and boost earnings amid competition from China and Japan."

LG Operating Profit Beats Estimates as Smartphone Shipments Rise - Bloomberg

And look at this job posting at LG Silicon Valley Labs, sounds like a fun place to work:

LGE SVL is looking for a creative, high energy individual to join our User Experience Product Management team. The Product Manager will design and manage across a crucial set of features which is fundamental to how users interact with connected devices in and around the home.

POSITION DESCRIPTION
The ideal candidate for this position will combine a rare set of web, device, and product management skills to help ensure the success of the webOS platform. The candidate should have a healthy sense of humor and a love for solving the most challenging problems across our device portfolio.

Senior Product Manager | LG Silicon Valley Lab
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2013, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
"The air-conditioner business had an operating income of 171 billion won, compared with the 133 billion won median of five analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

Net Income
Net income, excluding minority interest, fell to 132 billion won in the period, missing the 346.5 billion won average of 14 analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Sales rose 10 percent to 15.2 trillion won.
LG’s mobile division had a second-quarter operating profit of 61.2 billion won, compared with a 28 billion won loss a year earlier.

The home-entertainment division, which makes TVs and accounted about 42 percent of revenue last year, had an operating profit of 106.5 billion won in the second quarter, down from 304.3 billion won a year earlier.
With weaker demand crimping profitability in televisions, the company is pushing into high-end TVs using organic light-emitting diodes, or OLEDs, and upgraded liquid crystal displays to try and boost earnings amid competition from China and Japan."

LG Operating Profit Beats Estimates as Smartphone Shipments Rise - Bloomberg

And look at this job posting at LG Silicon Valley Labs, sounds like a fun place to work:

LGE SVL is looking for a creative, high energy individual to join our User Experience Product Management team. The Product Manager will design and manage across a crucial set of features which is fundamental to how users interact with connected devices in and around the home.

POSITION DESCRIPTION
The ideal candidate for this position will combine a rare set of web, device, and product management skills to help ensure the success of the webOS platform. The candidate should have a healthy sense of humor and a love for solving the most challenging problems across our device portfolio.

Senior Product Manager | LG Silicon Valley Lab
Yes, I can say webOS air conditioner very easily, or hopefully a toaster, or best idea ever, Front door, you close the app to not let that person in
boovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2013, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

The following should put a rest to the 'TV only' arguments we've been hearing around here.

...connected devices in and around the home.

and

...webOS platform.

and

...across our device portfolio.

'In and around the home' sounds like major appliances, home automation and mobile devices (phones, tablets) in addition to TVs. True, they can have only TVs talking to themselves throughout the home but a) it wouldnt quite be a platform, b) the talk of 'device portfolio' would then be moot and c) full revenue potential wont be realized for the platform if webOS TVs talk only to themselves. This assumes that consumers will replace all of their current TVs with webOS TVs to reap the 'connected' benefits.

In the end, no one knows what LGs plans are - not even the vocal webOS-is-dead / TV-only types. Unless one is an insider in R&D, strategic planning, designing, etc., or NDA signatory, he/she can not see LGs cards because they're kept at chest.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by tholap, jrb363 and Remy X like this.
Thanked by eblade, jrb363, RumoredNow
Old 07/27/2013, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Meanwhile LG's share in the smartphone market is increasing. Samsung and Apple take first dip in smartphone market share, LG on the rise

They didn't increase their Y-v-Y % as greatly as Lenovo has, but they still more than doubled shipments compared to the same quarter last year...

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 07/27/2013, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

but how are they doing in the A/C market?
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/28/2013, 03:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
around the home
WebOS lawnmower! Swiping and tossing blades with your fingers... thrilling experience
briest is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, C-Note and jrb363 like this.
Old 07/28/2013, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
WebOS lawnmower! Swiping and tossing blades with your fingers... thrilling experience
lol! Owwwwww.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2013, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Best thermostat ever!

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/29/2013, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
Best thermostat ever!
Nest?
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2013, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Nest?
I'm just trolling, move along I know nest is fancy.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2013, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

How about a webos powered toothbrush?

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
imurrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/30/2013, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Nest?
They would have the same end result, but wouldnt you rather swipe away the hot & humid card or the cold, dry one to get the desired effect? Even doing so via Smart TV gestures from the comfort of your couch?

The Nest would seem ancient if this is realized.
Old 08/01/2013, 09:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
They would have the same end result, but wouldnt you rather swipe away the hot & humid card or the cold, dry one to get the desired effect? Even doing so via Smart TV gestures from the comfort of your couch?

The Nest would seem ancient if this is realized.
I have a Nest. Between the online webapp, the mobile apps, and the Nest itself, it really doesn't need a card interface at all. It's just fine the way it is, and hardly going to be made "ancient" anytime soon. And the last thing I want to be doing is gestures to change a freakin' thermostat.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2013, 06:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Looks like one of the leads for the webOS team has an impressive resume. Worked high up in Amazon for many years for Amazon's digital division (Lab something or other), then did a short stint at Netflix before going back to Amazon and then LG when it bought webOS.

Its nice that someone high up worked for a successful device company.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2013, 07:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
How about a webos powered toothbrush?
with its own special touchstone like so many others!
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2013, 07:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briest View Post
Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

C
Old 08/16/2013, 09:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

The first webOS toaster will have longitudinally-offset slots, so that when two pieces of toast pop up they overlap. The only downside to the 1.0 release is that you can't actually eat the toast--but you *are* able to get rid of it by throwing it through the ceiling of your kitchen.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
bethel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by gizmo21, ashi, mrmarquis9 and 2 others like this.
Old 08/17/2013, 09:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well I've done my part to support the LG television business. Within the last year I upgraded from my crappy Insignia 42" Plasma to a LG 50" 50PA6500 (top of the line plasma). A year later (aka last week) I moved the 50" to the bedroom and upgraded the living room to a 60" LG Plasma. All it needs is a little webOS love and I would be in heaven. Right now they're both fan-freaking-tastic televisions though. LG really knows how to make great sets, I recommend them to anybody looking for a new television.
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 08/19/2013, 02:27 AM   #19 (permalink)

After that kind of investment I hope they offer some sort of flashable firmware for webOS, or you'll be doing it all over again (or not).
Old 08/19/2013, 02:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

... which urges the question on me: wouldn't WebOS be better helped with something in the likes of ChromeCast?Some "WebOSCast" or something?
Plug it in your TV and have a SmartTV.