webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Ruh-Roh: LG tv revenue down; can anyone say webOS air conditioner?
Ruh-Roh: LG tv revenue down; can anyone say webOS air conditioner?
Like Tree13Likes

Old 08/19/2013, 11:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
... which urges the question on me: wouldn't WebOS be better helped with something in the likes of ChromeCast?Some "WebOSCast" or something?
Plug it in your TV and have a SmartTV.
You have an excellent point... If LG wants it to take off they need a set top box, not just dedicated high end (high $$$) TV sets. I've bought 2 set top boxes so far and would buy another if it had webOS.

Raspberry Pi had that sort of promise for OwOS but Ports has marked it down as "failed" on their Wiki Page.

Chromecast is just an intermediary and has no real ability to stand on its own. It doesn't make your TV smart and there are no Apps built into it that run by themselves. You have to direct it with a smart device or your computer's browser. I'd rather see a full featured set top box from LG more akin to the Sony NSZ-GS7, but would settle for something as enclosed as Roku.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/19/2013, 11:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The Raspberry Pi fail was mainly due to QT 4.8 from what I understood. It might work better with QT5 and I understood that Ports will do another attempt in the future.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 08/19/2013, 06:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
You have an excellent point... If LG wants it to take off they need a set top box, not just dedicated high end (high $$$) TV sets. I've bought 2 set top boxes so far and would buy another if it had webOS.

Raspberry Pi had that sort of promise for OwOS but Ports has marked it down as "failed" on their Wiki Page.

Chromecast is just an intermediary and has no real ability to stand on its own. It doesn't make your TV smart and there are no Apps built into it that run by themselves. You have to direct it with a smart device or your computer's browser. I'd rather see a full featured set top box from LG more akin to the Sony NSZ-GS7, but would settle for something as enclosed as Roku.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
The Raspberry Pi fail was mainly due to QT 4.8 from what I understood. It might work better with QT5 and I understood that Ports will do another attempt in the future.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Set top boxes won't last longer than a couple of years, probably. The vast majority of consumers don't even comprehend them. (I know, before my current job, I was a salesman that dealt with a lot of people who thought they wanted set top boxes ... "What do you mean I need to have internet?! It says FREE YOUTUBE, but it's not FREE if I have to pay for internet!") Consider how dumb the average person is. Then consider that half of us are dumber than that. :-) (props to Carlin for the joke)

Qt had a lot of issues on Pi. I think the whole OE had a lot of issues on Pi, but other people have been sorting that junk out. Not sure if qt 5.0 works on it, but probably 5.1+ ..? maybe. depends on if the underlying issues were hardware or not. In any case, the Pi isn't really powerful enough to really do the job in a fashion I'd find acceptable.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2013, 12:41 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
... The vast majority of consumers don't even comprehend them. (I know, before my current job, I was a salesman that dealt with a lot of people who thought they wanted set top boxes ... "What do you mean I need to have internet?! It says FREE YOUTUBE, but it's not FREE if I have to pay for internet!") Consider how dumb the average person is. Then consider that half of us are dumber than that. :-) (props to Carlin for the joke)

Reminds me of that other joke:
"90 percent of people don't comprehend mathematics. Thank god I am part of the other 20% ..." [duh]
Old 08/26/2013, 03:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

LG promotes their current smart tv platform by including it on all their set top boxes, dvd-players and bluray players, so I do expect to be able to upgrade my LG TV to webOS a year or so after the feature TV launches with it.
JustJC is offline   Reply With Quote