webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Talk Mobile "My OS is Better Than Your OS"
Talk Mobile "My OS is Better Than Your OS"
Like Tree23Likes

Old 07/17/2013, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Where's the webOS representation from the 500,000-strong webOS community Mobile Nations themselves promoted the numbers of in the latest Talk Mobile discussion?

My OS is better than your OS - Talk Mobile | CrackBerry.com

Come on, guys, get in the game and let's make us an OS to be reckoned with! We deserve WAY more representation from the huge numbers we have here based on the user count Mobile Nations has for the active webOS community!

Do you realize if every active member bought a webOS device today and convinced a few friends, we'd surpass Blackberry?

IT'S A BEEFY THOUGHT.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/22/2013 at 10:09 AM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Remy X like this.
Old 07/17/2013, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Why?
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2013, 03:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Why?
u mad?
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2013, 03:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Right question would be: HOW ...

The community is 500.000 strong? Really?
I hope you don't just count the number of WebOSNation-Forumaccounts. Because most of them are not used anymore, I think. If I would have to guess by guts, I would say, there are no more than 30 to 50 people actually actively participating here, and maybe 1000 to 2000 people if you add those just reading or idling around.

So, HOW do you propose to "make us an OS to be reckoned with" on talk mobile?
Thanked By: jrb363
Old 07/17/2013, 04:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Tbh as much as id love to, we cant really say a thing given that we dont have anything in production and can only ebay limited stock and we dont have any bugfixes or updates.

Cant really argue "were better but were dead, and still have an arm sticking out our coffin"

We have no news
We have nothing being worked on at any great speed
We dont even have patches trickling in anymore.
Everyone else is copying our features, just lack the ease of use and ui navigation style....... So far
Old 07/17/2013, 06:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

I fully agree with Buddy1969 and geekpeter.

I think the size of the community is somewhere in the range of the LG petition subscribers count and Open Mobile ACL backers.

Although subscribing the LG petition costs only a few clicks there are only 2.196 supporters. I don't think that the active webOS community is much bigger (at least the english speaking one).
Old 07/17/2013, 06:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

well, I'm ready to fight! Come on, put 'em up.

Oh wait, I need a nap. First thing tomorrow, I'm gonna tear them a new one. Nobody steals our good features and gets away with it!
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969, xandros9 and ArchonAdvisors like this.
Old 07/17/2013, 07:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

id say in our current state we are certainly relevant as we still have a perfectly useable platform, but with nothing new to buy we cant seriously say we are a contender for "best", thats taking things a bit far.

as for the remainder tho, imho none of them are best either as they all have flaws/isues, i think "best" in the mobile world is whats the most average to the most possible people, in that case id say android.

more device types to suit more people with different tastes.
more open than the remainder of competition.
when looking for highend or budget models it also tops out as a a good choice.

still has many flaw ofc, but they all do, thats why if you average the good/bad then android ends up being more preferable to apple/bb products imho.

that being said, the flaws of android make any good points irrelevant for my own personal uses and tastes, i only use them for tasks my webOS devices cant manage (netflix/tvcatchup/uae4all2).

For other people tho id still reccomend android over anything else, i cant see any plus points the others have that would suggest otherwise (and i dont count sheer app market size as a plus).

i could recomend a decent cheap android device to others and a good quality high end device, i could only reccomend higher cost alternatives with regards to the other device makes/models, again making android devices more desirable to a wide audience of tastes.

if you and your friends/family are all stinking rich then ofc you can pick pretty much anything, its not like an identical app on 1 device is any different to another, the only differing factor is hardware specs and tbh nothing except 3d games will tax even average quality hardware, nm the mental high spec wastes of space devices that are available (ipad 3/4)
Old 07/17/2013, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Our main page hasn't been updated in over a month. Derek, as far as I'm concerned, has gone AWOL on us. Of course it's not his fault. He's simply a worker for Mobile Nations and it's been made very clear we are no longer a priority for them. It will truly be a sad day when/if these forums are ever shut down. To my knowledge this is the last remaining English-based webOS site in the world. (That has a sizable and useful membership)
Old 07/17/2013, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
Our main page hasn't been updated in over a month. Derek, as far as I'm concerned, has gone AWOL on us. Of course it's not his fault. He's simply a worker for Mobile Nations and it's been made very clear we are no longer a priority for them. It will truly be a sad day when/if these forums are ever shut down. To my knowledge this is the last remaining English-based webOS site in the world. (That has a sizable and useful membership)
he isnt missing, he just doesnt have any news.
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 07/17/2013, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
The webOS Ports video update was pretty newsworthy IMHO
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors and RumoredNow like this.
Old 07/17/2013, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
He could have made a nice article about the Alpha 2 from Ports?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/17/2013 at 01:58 PM.
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors and RumoredNow like this.
Old 07/17/2013, 01:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
The webOS Ports video update was pretty newsworthy IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

Great minds think alike.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors and Remy X like this.
Old 07/17/2013, 02:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Great minds think alike.
its no doubt a great behind the scenes technical improvement for devs, but for us joe average users hungry for news its still not really news worthy as it cant run anything except enyo2 apps at best...... of which we have next to none?

when you look at the current version over the old builds, yeah its better/faster, looking closer to more complete but it still cant run anything of use, when it can its no doubt news worthy but atm its only really a good solid piece of news to devs/porting teams as a much needed morale boost to their efforts.
Old 07/17/2013, 02:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
u mad?
No. Why?
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2013, 05:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've been a WebOS user since 2009 or so myself, still use my Pre3 and Touchpad daily.. I don't believe WebOS is the best OS out there.. I believe(d) it had the most promise..but it's so far behind at this point (it was far behind in many key areas before HP killed it) there's just no point. It's a lost cause.

I don't even know why I come back here some times to read some of the posts.. I have been trying to mentally prepare myself to jump to android, Even though I have 3 Pre3s, a never been used Pre2, barely ever used veer, and 3 touchpads.. the platform is just so lacking.. I honestly haven't used anything other than kalemsoft video, "webos news"(on TP) as apps on the webos platform in the past year (other than browser, phone etc..the built in stuff).

Originally I had planned to just go for as long as I could, all stocked up on GSM hardware.. but now am thinking of giving that plan up. I've never really used Android, or iOS, or really any other modern mobile platform for more than a few minutes. Sucks to think how I blew about $2k on webOS hardware in the short time following the cancellation of the platform by HP..

Holding on to hope is, well pretty sad at this point. I have absolutely no reason to believe LG would ever be stupid enough to try to introduce new WebOS phones/tablets. Just look at the investments MS and BB are making to try to keep/make their platforms relevant. It's a very, very costly endeavor (i'd wager at least $5 billion worth of one), and I don't believe LG cares enough to try, they probably wouldn't have the resources to do it even if they wanted to.

It was certainly a nice concept. As a user of Linux on the desktop for the past 15 years I can say I am used to being in the niche community, but unlike Linux on the desktop there really is no noticeable progress being made with WebOS(from an end user perspective at least -- I really don't track the home brew type stuff).

The state of the mobile world is moving so fast that every day that goes by things fall further and further behind(this has been going on for 2+ years with WebOS even when WebOS had full HP backing).

Palm was just a couple years late and a couple billion dollars short to make their dream a reality.
natepre509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/18/2013, 12:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post

I don't even know why I come back here some times to read some of the posts..
Well I do it for sentimentality reasons, because I still use the TP and for that 1% hope that someone takes up the torch and relights it, even though I know that won't happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
I have been trying to mentally prepare myself to jump to android,
Done that with my Galaxy S3 already end 2012...
Old 07/18/2013, 03:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think we'd all pretty much agree we're in the 'acceptance' part of the grieving process these days regarding WebOS... what a waste. She really had potential!

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969 and xandros9 like this.
Old 07/18/2013, 05:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
I think we'd all pretty much agree we're in the 'acceptance' part of the grieving process these days regarding WebOS... what a waste. She really had potential!
And in the next few years when EVERYTHING we liked about webOS have been snatched up by iOS and Android, and the 'kids' are talking about how cool the new features are... we will know the truth.

And along with talking how I had to go to school uphill, both ways; and yelling a them to 'get of my lawn', I'll tell them about the Pre.

C
Liked by xandros9, gihmley and RumoredNow like this.
Old 08/21/2013, 11:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
And in the next few years when EVERYTHING we liked about webOS have been snatched up by iOS and Android, and the 'kids' are talking about how cool the new features are... we will know the truth.

And along with talking how I had to go to school uphill, both ways; and yelling a them to 'get of my lawn', I'll tell them about the Pre.

C
Technocheese and ribeye steaks.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote