webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Talk Mobile "My OS is Better Than Your OS"
Talk Mobile "My OS is Better Than Your OS"
Like Tree23Likes

Old 08/24/2013, 02:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

From what I can tell, the world of mobile devices is in such a state of flux right now that it's impossible to predict how things will play out over the next 2-3 years. I can still do everything I want to do on a mobile device on my Pre 3. Meanwhile, Android & iOS keep adding simple features (e.g., better task switching) that are vaugely reminiscent of webOS. But also, M$ keeps putting W8 on every touchscreen they get their hands on, and now Ubuntu Edge is beginning to make vauge assertions of the same broad OS coverage (phone/tablet/desktop) that M$ and Apple and even Google (maybe even Amazon?) are all dreaming of trying to lock down. I don't see anyone being all that close to what seems to be that 'Holy Trinity' convergence yet.

My TP with LunaCE is still the most enjoyable device I have to use to to read, listen to music(Spotify), check news/email/twitter/youtube, snd watch Video recorded on my local network.

I, personally, am very grateful for the work that webOS Ports is doing and I'm looking forward to trying out whatever they come up with. From my perspective, webOS has already made a significant contribution to the 'Mobile/Digital' landscape. (I have no idea how many other people know/believe the same thing.) And that landscape, IMHO, is a long, long way away from being established or pre-determined.

But I, personally, don't feel like I'm on a 'sinking ship' by using webOS - or maybe I'm not worried because I just don't think the water's all that deep yet.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that maybe I ignored the most important part of the OS convergence that I alluded to, i.e., Television! So maybe it isn't a trinity at all. The OS that has domination over Phone/Tablet/Desktop & TV (like set top boxes and smart TV's) will finally reign supreme. So would that be something more like the Four Horsemen? Wow! Maybe the water's deeper than I thought!

Last edited by kayphoonstar; 08/24/2013 at 03:09 PM.
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Buddy1969, roshang and RumoredNow like this.
Old 08/26/2013, 12:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
... So would that be something more like the Four Horsemen? Wow! Maybe the water's deeper than I thought!
Heh ... I like that train of thought ...
Old 08/28/2013, 05:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Right question would be: HOW ...

The community is 500.000 strong? Really?
I hope you don't just count the number of WebOSNation-Forumaccounts. Because most of them are not used anymore, I think. If I would have to guess by guts, I would say, there are no more than 30 to 50 people actually actively participating here, and maybe 1000 to 2000 people if you add those just reading or idling around.

So, HOW do you propose to "make us an OS to be reckoned with" on talk mobile?

I would sadly have to agree with him. Everyone still commenting and providing support are the true die hard fans of webos. Everyone else has left! cowards!
mrmarquis9 is offline   Reply With Quote