webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > A.C.L.
A.C.L.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter

Old 07/04/2013, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

I want to know if their is a need for mod 10 with acl app coming out. Do anyone know acl will let you dual boot? Is it just for android apps.
Frank Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2013, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

You mean OpenMobile's ACL for the Touchpad?

What they are trying to do is rig Android's Dalvik (Java) Virtual Machine to use the webOS system APIs for Bluetooth, notification, vibrate, etc., so that Android apps running under it would have access to those OS features.

Once that's done, it'll be available for $30 apiece and support Gingerbread-level apps. It will have to be installed over Preware or sideloaded.

It won't affect the Android partition on the Touchpad.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Frank Ross
Old 07/04/2013, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

The Android Compatibility Layer is intended to provide a method of running Android applications under weOS, so yes it is just for Android apps.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/04/2013, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ross View Post
I want to know if their is a need for mod 10 with acl app coming out. Do anyone know acl will let you dual boot? Is it just for android apps.
there will still be a need even if acl gets released as acl doesnt have gfx acceleration and is amazingly slow for gfx intensive stuff, so if your into games/3d stuff then youd also want to keep cm10, acl will be fine for more basic apps/less gfx intensive stuff ofc.
Old 10/31/2013, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

is:

will this dual boot or will it convert the touchpad to android ?
what is different about this and cyanogen9 ?
will this work in the HP Pre 3 phone ?

tia!
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2013, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
is:

will this dual boot or will it convert the touchpad to android ?
what is different about this and cyanogen9 ?
will this work in the HP Pre 3 phone ?

tia!
This will not dual boot like CM7/9/10, this is a PDK app that runs services and installable modules (kernel runtime) during webOS bootup...

CM7/9/10, are a full install of Android (reboot), no webOS...
ACL is Android 2.3.x apps running in a jailed PDK app along webOS apps under the webOS kernel.

No the Pre3 has a different kernel, although someone can change the installable modules (like the Go) to match the Pre3 kernels name, I suspect, that as the kernel is 2.6.32.9 and the touchpad is 2.6.35 that that it will not be compatible...

I have tested this on the Pre2 and the Pre2 kernel which is 2.6.24 does not have the right symbols to load the installable modules...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: patapoof
Old 10/31/2013, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
This will not dual boot like CM7/9/10, this is a PDK app that runs services and installable modules (kernel runtime) during webOS bootup...

CM7/9/10, are a full install of Android (reboot), no webOS...
ACL is Android 2.3.x apps running in a jailed PDK app along webOS apps under the webOS kernel.

No the Pre3 has a different kernel, although someone can change the installable modules (like the Go) to match the Pre3 kernels name, I suspect, that as the kernel is 2.6.32.9 and the touchpad is 2.6.35 that that it will not be compatible...

I have tested this on the Pre2 and the Pre2 kernel which is 2.6.24 does not have the right symbols to load the installable modules...
I had some hope this would solve some Pre 3 insane desire to have items ...oh well !!
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0