webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > New WebOS-Ports Video
New WebOS-Ports Video
Like Tree33Likes

Old 06/26/2013, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Looks to be coming along

LinkedIn: Matthew Mers
Twitter: MatthewMers

Last edited by mattmers; 06/26/2013 at 05:10 PM.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by VasTheGreek, Vistaus and MartinH@webos like this.
Old 06/26/2013, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

nice!! webOS interface still looks better than anything else, I like the luna
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2013, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Very nice! Still got a bit to go, but I can't wait to see it smooth and fluid. I'm sooooo looking forward to getting webOS on new hardware and this would be a dream come true!

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/26/2013 at 08:39 PM.
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2013, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

So now were getting somewhere I,m thinking of getting a galaxy nexus just to try it out even if its still a long way to go. It looks way better and more fluid then the first release.
Way to go. Keep up the great work, you are probably WebOS best chance when it comes to get it running on a phone.
Keep these update videos coming.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/26/2013 at 08:37 PM.
beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2013, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

video acceleration : check big check
graphic driver issues : check
preware : check
luna manager ? check

looks to be getting there.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2013, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

video acceleration : check big check
graphic driver issues : check
preware : check
luna manager ? check

looks to be getting there.
daexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

This is great news.
Is there an instruction on how to install this release?
Beca

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
beca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 07:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

beca,

Yes - in the above link!

If you want to try it out on your Galaxy Nexus smartphone (codename maguro) you will find instructions and a link to the images below.

Galaxy Nexus (maguro)
Images for installation
Installation instructions
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 07:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Question for the developers: Is CDMA support possible now or in the near future?

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 09:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Read on the front page of webos-ports that they need developer help to finish the apps.

"We already achieved a lot but are still not at the point of having a usable day phone or tablet as we're missing a lot work on the application side. There is already existing work to port preware to enyo 2 but there are still a lot other areas which need help. If you're a webOS enthusiast or like our project feel free to contribute (you find all ways to contact us at http://www.webos-ports.org/wiki/Communications). We need all the help we can get to achieve our final goal of having a usable phone/tablet!"
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

It does indeed look like some solid progress has been made...

Hopefully soon I can leave off experimenting with Ubuntu Touch on my GNex and begin experimenting with OwOS.

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 12:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

fingers crossed that after it all becomes more stable that its somehow possible after that to make pdk apps work.
Old 06/27/2013, 02:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm hoping that WebOS Internals gets a copy of the source code for ACL and gets it to work with OWOS. If that happens, then I think usage of OWOS will take off. I spent half a day compiling OWOS for my desktop. I was excited to get it to work but afterwards realized that I couldn't install apps, so the novelty wore off.

Edit: Before anyone says anything, I prefer Enyo and PDK apps and want to see app revenues go to webOS developers. I think it was not very smart for HP to release version 1.0 of OWOS without access to a working copy of the HP App Catalog, Movie Store, or HP Play. These apps do not have to be open source.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)

Last edited by k4ever; 06/27/2013 at 03:05 PM.
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 03:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

D/L'd alpha 2 to my GNex GSM.

(1) Tried to SSH into the phone while booting to skip first use; but could not...accepted first use disclaimer/warning ;-)

(2) Cannot tell if telephony is working or not (no obvious indication); calling my GNex from a landline did not work and I do not see signal bars. Do not know if intended or not.

(3) WiFi works and was able to use browser to go yahoo mobile. However, browser crashed when trying to open news page @ yahoo.

(4) Some graphics stuff slow (to be expected); some working great. Gesture area neat. Some buttons/stuff does not scale properly for phone (e.g when selecting / refreshing wifi networks)

(5) After opening and closing apps (e.g. settings app) several times; eventually no apps open anymore.

(6) The calendar app does not have a number on it like the video above

Wish I could help more; but best I can do is install and try to break it! ;-)

- Thomas
Thanked By: k4ever
Old 06/27/2013, 04:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'm not asking for any sort of promise, but does anyone know if it's probable that OWOS will be ported to the Nexus 4?
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 04:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

looks very nice. but what's up with the gesture response? almost every gesture needed to be repeated. is that the OS being sluggish, poor response from the touchscreen, or just the demonstrator not being thorough enough with his finger swipes??
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 07:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

A few questions which I hope someone can answer:
1) is this progress (impressive though it is) on the Galaxy Nexus easily applied to future nexus devices?
2) is webos-ports getting any official (LG or HP) help with their work to accelerate their work?
3) Other than getting more talented coders to help with the cause, is there anything practical that the dwindling webos users can do to help besides donate $$.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 07:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Beautiful
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2013, 10:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
A few questions which I hope someone can answer:
3) Other than getting more talented coders to help with the cause, is there anything practical that the dwindling webos users can do to help besides donate $$.
Donating is just keeping those left on the project going with money; realistically, if anyone wants it to go faster or have more specialized people working on some components of OWOS, you probably want to start an effort at XDA, Android Central, Android and Me, etc. going into some of the Android dev forums and put up posts promoting OWOS to get some of the more talented Android/CM coders interested in contributing. Some of those folks are outright amazing, and may consider doing this as a side project.

I'd hit the major Android devices first, and then start moving down to some of the older device forums that remain popular today. You could also talk about how much money's been donated to the project and how they can get a part of it to make it worth their while. Maybe even tell them of the open opportunity to stick around and port a few apps over for money. Tell them about the ACL and how that's a big opportunity for them to promote their Android apps to webOS users once it's released.

Another idea: You know those $100 coupon codes Google hands out like water to get people to use AdWords? There you go: Small scale online ad campaign to draw in people. Now, find a few other around here to get some of those coupon codes and do their own campaigns using the same messaging, and you've got a pretty decent awareness campaign going.

Beef sticks.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote